Looking For Ex Pat Bars In Samutprakarn .

Velocette

I'm retired and live in the unfashionable area of Samutprakarn, the uncool suburbs of Bkk, apart from the people themselves, there is little to recommend it. But I was wondering if there are any bars in the general area, Food Land , Imperial World etc, where English speaking guys can go for a beer and just shoot the breeze with other ex pats.

I'm not too optimistic as there is no heading in TV for Samutprakarn, which would lead me to believe that there are few Farang in the area, but just on the off chance that there may be a secret enclave of ex pats who frequent a bar locally I thought I'd put this post out. Going to Bkk for a few beers is too much of a palaver :)

Samut Prakarn covers a large area. I used to live in Phra Samut Chedi and still don't know of any such establishments. Good luck.

Yes your right it does cover a large area, I remember going to Phra Samut Chedi, to visit the floating market there and renting a canoe out, quite a charming place.

Which part of Samutprakarn are you in ?

I live near the crossroads of Teparak Road and Srinakarin, between Foodland and the Imperial World shopping centre, also close to a large Tesco Lotus on the Srinakarin. I mention Foodland as it's known as one of the few supermarkets that cater for Farangs in the immediate area.

There is an English style Pub called The Toby Jug down Sukhumvit Soi 50 (there is a large Tesco Lotus on that corner, next to the On Nuch BTS Station). Go down Soi 50 until you reach the Expressway, the Pub is on the left, virtually under the Expressway.

Good English type food and the owner - a Thai chap - is interesting to chat to.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Which part of Samutprakarn are you in ?

I live near the crossroads of Teparak Road and Srinakarin, between Foodland and the Imperial World shopping centre, also close to a large Tesco Lotus on the Srinakarin. I mention Foodland as it's known as one of the few supermarkets that cater for Farangs in the immediate area.

There are a couple of bars on Soi Bearing at the Srinakarin end where a few teachers visit sometimes, I go to 1 that translates as the Doctors Kitchen, its ok, also there is 1 at the crossroads of Srinarkarin and Soi Lasalle called Chic and Chilli which I go to regularly but I do not know of an actual ex-pat hang-out, both these bars are Thai style but not Karaoke bars. If you fancy meeting up for a beer PM me, I live by the junction where Chic and Chill is

There's a group of us that hang out most Friday evenings, in a farang owned bar just down the Bangna-Trat, close to King keow road. I'm not sure if it would be any quicker getting there from your place than

it would be to go into Bangkok, mind.

There is an English style Pub called The Toby Jug down Sukhumvit Soi 50 (there is a large Tesco Lotus on that corner, next to the On Nuch BTS Station). Go down Soi 50 until you reach the Expressway, the Pub is on the left, virtually under the Expressway.

Good English type food and the owner - a Thai chap - is interesting to chat to.

Patrick

Thank you for the info Patrick, I shall get my wife to explain exactly where the above place is, as I only have a vague idea where it might be, it's always interesting to visit new 'establishments' and English food would be a bonus too. And curious that a Thai should run an English style Pub.:)

Well I know of a few guys that live in Chedie, if we don't have one lets find one and make it ours!!

Thank you ExC5 for your optimism ! . . . . . .but can't help thinking of that expression spoken in a strong Scottish accent " Happy to meet, is sorrry to greeet come Micklemuss ! " (Micklemuss being Christmas)

Anyway black humour aside, will need to find out from my better half where exactly Chedie is, it's not an area I've heard of. But thank you for your invitation, and I shall get back to you when I know where it is :)

There's a group of us that hang out most Friday evenings, in a farang owned bar just down the Bangna-Trat, close to King keow road. I'm not sure if it would be any quicker getting there from your place than

Thank you Kalbo, kind of you to offer, but as you suggest it may be a long haul, either way, I shall find out where it is and see if it's practical. Cheers :)

There's a group of us that hang out most Friday evenings, in a farang owned bar just down the Bangna-Trat, close to King keow road. I'm not sure if it would be any quicker getting there from your place than it would be to go into Bangkok, mind.

What's the place called? Might be useful for the OP and for me too! I stay in the King Kaew area from time to time, and have never heard of a Western owned place! It would be nice to have somewhere in kicking distance instead of having to head into town.

I think what Kalbo has said is the key though. SP is so close to town that there is no real call for places here, but it would be nice.

A group of the teachers from nearby schools would congregate at the beer garden outside Central Bang Na on Friday afternoons/evenings but they weren't the most savoury bunch and I heard they got asked to 'move on' after causing a bit of a rumpus on several occasions. There are a lot of expats living near Central Bang Na so I'd wager that there would be at least one place in that area behind which seems to have a fair few condos in that area.

A couple of years ago when I was working on a job in Pak Nam, I came across a group of expats - a lot nicer than their counterparts at Central - that would gather at the market there every Wednesday and Friday afternoon/evening but if they still do or not I have no idea.

Where is this bar Kalbo ? I work on the King Kaew road and have never seen or heard about this place

I sent him a PM and Kalko says it's on Thana City which is left past the market place and the police station from King Kaew. You can't miss the turning although it's a big old place inside is Thana City.

Cheers for the info, will have a drive around and have a look