Show Car Readings On Lcd On Pjs

hansje1980

Hi,

My car is a PJS GT (2011) and comes with the standard touchscreen.

I was wondering if there are any devices on the market for my touchscreen

in order to show reading related to fuel efficiency.

For example this device:

(ScanGauge, or for example a SmartGauge) simply doesn't look nice at all.

I mean, I have a touchscreen anyways, so why not use the screen for the output ?

I hope there is some kind of device which will work for me.

All advices are welcome ! :)

Cheers, Hans

Edited by hansje1980

We use the DashDAQ II for our fuel economy tests, which is a great device but it's a standalone touchscreen and doesn't have a video-out.

Other options would be an OBDII to bluetooth or Wifi adaptor, then and a car-PC to the LCD in the car... Or an app on your iPhone/Blackberry/Android phone..

thanks for your reply, as always helpfull :)

too bad the DashDaq doesnt have a video outout, the other options you gave me I don't really understand how that would work.

As in... what is a car-PC ? And I dont understand the iPhone app... I mean... anything using GPS is kinda useless for me, not accurate and realtime enough... slow as well..

I hope you can explain me in more details about the options MRO, as I'm a noob with cars and it's technics and capabilities... I can only drive :)

EDIT: I dont even know what inputs the PJS touchscreen has, and howmany inputs as well :S I know that 1 must be in use already for my reverse driving cam...

EDIT2: Just saw the iPhone apps and such.. but they all don't show the most important thing for me, "Current Trip Costs" (real time) and also I miss the other stuff which comes with the ScanGauge :(

Edited by hansje1980

We use the DashDAQ II for our fuel economy tests, which is a great device but it's a standalone touchscreen and doesn't have a video-out.

Other options would be an OBDII to bluetooth or Wifi adaptor, then and a car-PC to the LCD in the car... Or an app on your iPhone/Blackberry/Android phone..

thanks for your reply, as always helpfull :)

too bad the DashDaq doesnt have a video outout, the other options you gave me I don't really understand how that would work.

As in... what is a car-PC ? And I dont understand the iPhone app... I mean... anything using GPS is kinda useless for me, not accurate and realtime enough... slow as well..

I hope you can explain me in more details about the options MRO, as I'm a noob with cars and it's technics and capabilities... I can only drive :)

EDIT: I dont even know what inputs the PJS touchscreen has, and howmany inputs as well :S I know that 1 must be in use already for my reverse driving cam...

EDIT2: Just saw the iPhone apps and such.. but they all don't show the most important thing for me, "Current Trip Costs" (real time) and also I miss the other stuff which comes with the ScanGauge :(

The Alpine TM7 screen in the PJS can be easily modded to expose the touchscreen as a USB mouse, and has the ability to support 2x AUX video inputs, but that's only part of the story. You'd still need software to perform calcs on the OBD data, generate UI display and implement the USB mouse input.. Nothing off-the-shelf will do it, so it'd be a fairly good sized DIY project with electronics and software skills needed.

The other option is something that just generates a fixed display on the screen (no touch control) - for this you could use a wired or wireless OBD-II dongle in conjunction with a car-PC running the right kind of off-the-shelf software. A black-box style car-PC would do the trick for this - just use the Alpine LCD as the car-PC display . Google will find you plenty of car-PC's - as the name suggests, they're PC's designed for use in car. These are fairly cheap now that they're being built using netbook parts.

The last option is a wireless OBD-II dongle and an appropriate smarrtphone app. There's plenty out there that will give you real-time MPG displays and data logging e.g. Dash Command, Rev, Clean Drive etc. If you have a newer Android phone with HDMI out you could get a HDMI to Composite Video adaptor and show the phone display on your Alpine LCD too ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Wow. Sounds cool, but complicated. Any info on what cable is needed for iPhone4 to run on the PJS alpine?? When I tried mine in store it wouldn't work.

Also, where to find the adaptor to run a usb device from the Alpine - I'm sure you mentioned this way back when??