The Craziest Thing I Ever Heard In Thailand

newsite12

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hardly ever do, precisely for that reason so I don't know where your "all the time" comments came from.

While plenty of good info is available here it is generally drowned out by the persistent Thai bashing and moaning, it's quite pathetic.

I've had no problems with True. Always been extremely responsive to the various problems we have encountered. Same problems I have had back in the US. Same response times.

My friends box died last week. True responded within hours that they would fix the box...or replace it. And they did! Great service.

With that being said, they are way behind from a technology point of view. Poor HD offerings, poor PVR options. About 10 years behind where the US is currently.

I miss TIVO!!!!!!

The problem with True isn't the telephone service, in my opinion, but on the skill level of the techs, and more importantly, on the offerings/price. I have been travelling to the Philippines a lot lately, and for half the price as True, you get at least double the English language channels (and many more German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, French, and a couple of channels of rotating languages.)

For tech service, all the people in my building were having problems, and they kept changing all our individual boxes. I finally got them to change the components on the building antenna, and since then, no problem at all.

The telephone service, on the other hand, has been acceptable.

I can empathize with you. My wife had ours installed and we were charged about 4,000 baht for installation even though there was a promotion at the time for free installation for the gold we were having installed. Some local reps/installers will try and cheat you out of any thing they can. Recommend you call the main True office in BKK and find out why you are being treated in such a manner. I am of course assuming that you are dealing with a local rep. Good luck and count to 10. Eventually it will all work out.

While I was still living in Bangkok my Thai language teacher (not farang)came one day and was complaining about some issue she was having at one of the large department stores, and we got to talking about "customer service" in Thailand. She said, "In Thailand, the customer is always wrong. No matter what problem, the company will blame the customer."

I've had no problems with True. Always been extremely responsive to the various problems we have encountered. Same problems I have had back in the US. Same response times.

My friends box died last week. True responded within hours that they would fix the box...or replace it. And they did! Great service.

With that being said, they are way behind from a technology point of view. Poor HD offerings, poor PVR options. About 10 years behind where the US is currently.

I miss TIVO!!!!!!

The problem with True isn't the telephone service, in my opinion, but on the skill level of the techs, and more importantly, on the offerings/price. I have been travelling to the Philippines a lot lately, and for half the price as True, you get at least double the English language channels (and many more German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, French, and a couple of channels of rotating languages.)

For tech service, all the people in my building were having problems, and they kept changing all our individual boxes. I finally got them to change the components on the building antenna, and since then, no problem at all.

Where's the problem? I get the impression this is only a matter of price vs. content. It appears to be a case where "TV:s own whiz-kid advice" is needed - employ a bilingu....trilingua.....multilingual gardener and you may find that the price is reduced by 40%. At least.

I miss TIVO!!!!!!

Where's the problem? I get the impression this is only a matter of price vs. content. It appears to be a case where "TV:s own whiz-kid advice" is needed - employ a bilingu....trilingua.....multilingual gardener and you may find that the price is reduced by 40%. At least.

Do you reckon the gardener could get them to show european rugby league as well?

SC

I miss TIVO!!!!!!

I can't say much for True. In our condo complex they wouldn't wire for it because:

a. we were so far from the street -- well actually we were right next to Sukhumvit Soi 24

b. no one wanted True service there except us -- although most apartments had a satellite dish

So we got the satellite dish and reception was not even as good as old antenna reception back in the U.S. before cable was widespread. I'd watch the ads for their rather expensive HD service, and I'd think yeah, maybe HD will bring it up to standard definition...anything to charge you more.

I miss TIVO!!!!!!

I can't say much for True. In our condo complex they wouldn't wire for it because:

a. we were so far from the street -- well actually we were right next to Sukhumvit Soi 24

b. no one wanted True service there except us -- although most apartments had a satellite dish

So we got the satellite dish and reception was not even as good as old antenna reception back in the U.S. before cable was widespread. I'd watch the ads for their rather expensive HD service, and I'd think yeah, maybe HD will bring it up to standard definition...anything to charge you more.

Oh stop grizzling, you miserable git! Enjoy the sunshine and live outside the box.

SC

I used to have the True gold package. I cancelled it and returned the decoder, etc when I moved apartment about a year ago. Now I don't bother with a TV service at all. It was crap anyway, they cut (censor) so much out of movies that sometimes the plot is lost beyond comprehension.

Nowadays I just download anything I want to watch from the torrents and watch it on my living room TV via the USB drive on my DVD player which allows me to watch anything I want on the full sized TV screen. From what I've seen most DVD players have this functionality, I got mine for less than a 1000 Baht in Emporium a year or two ago.

Solution is easy -- have it all removed and find alternatives through the internet etc. I took me 7 years to realise how poor providers TrueVisions (joke) aka UBC really are. Now 3 years without their dish saving more than 70,000 baht and I don't have to email/call Bangkok, argue with local agent or suffer their repeats et al.

So many things to do in Thailand, why have it in the first place??

Someone should take a poll just how many satisfied customers there are out there.

the persistent Thai bashing and moaning, it's quite pathetic.

Agree, i can't understand from where it all came from, thai people don't do those things. Just today i made another trip to bring some documents that a local government official requested from me the previous time, just to be told she don't want them anymore and asked for something else instead, i am sure she just do this because she knows i am a sexy man and likes me to have me around all the times, plus she can definetely read my mind and understand how i do enjoy my 2 hours round trip across the thai wildlife and not even the biggest roller coaster of the planet can give you all the excitement of surviving a thai road, always pleanty of freshly splattered meat for the many gourmets of the forum.

Another time i had a neighbour wanting to kill me, i am so glad i learned about reincarnation and i know he just wanted me to come back to earth as an even better entity because these people definately loves me, gosh all these newbies with the wrong ideas about Thailand, they don't know what they are missing! sometimes i get intoxicated by the food they are serving me, how else could you appreciate the times when you are not sick otherways? there is a whole new universe to discover and people just see the bad sides which here in this "hub" can't possibly exist, everything is soooo perfect :D

and only you will be crazy.

Yes you have to join us now and save your sanity, i kind of forgot to add the magic feeling i get when doing the everyday shopping and they charge you more if you buy bigger quantity/sizes (compared to the same quantity in smaller boxes), they do it because they love you and knows you are going to get some cash back by recycling all those extra packaging material( it's not recyclable? why do you have to look at those meaningless details all the times?)....in the west you can only dream about this :lol: it's intelligence in it's highest form, no doubts about it.....

and only you will be crazy.

Yes you have to join us now and save your sanity, i kind of forgot to add the magic feeling i get when doing the everyday shopping and they charge you more if you buy bigger quantity/sizes (compared to the same quantity in smaller boxes), they do it because they love you and knows you are going to get some cash back by recycling all those extra packaging material( it's not recyclable? why do you have to look at those meaningless details all the times?)....in the west you can only dream about this :lol: it's intelligence in it's highest form, no doubts about it.....

I know, its great, isn't it?

SC

" and i do not speak or understand Thai too good yet" and "obviously there is a huge intelligence problem in Thailand"

I think I concur.

I am totally missing the point of your reply... i have only been here a few months ... strange post.

Don't you know you're supposed to be fully versed in the language before you even consider a move somewhere?? :rolleyes:

You're right you can change the language maybe I can help with that as mine is in English.. Which box is it??

I can empathize with you. My wife had ours installed and we were charged about 4,000 baht for installation even though there was a promotion at the time for free installation for the gold we were having installed. Some local reps/installers will try and cheat you out of any thing they can. Recommend you call the main True office in BKK and find out why you are being treated in such a manner. I am of course assuming that you are dealing with a local rep. Good luck and count to 10. Eventually it will all work out.

Yeah.. I am calling them myself, i am sure they have English speaking customer support. i will totally not mention i already have a setup here, and will sign up and then sell this setup for 1000 baht.... Now I have calmed down a bit, i can think laterally again. ;)

Sell it to your GF and her family for 1000b they should appreciate the discount..

Everything is now resolved thx.

My initial rant was not against True persae.... But a rant at the fact that my gf's family think I am incapable of doing anything for myself!!!... When i first told my GF I was going toget satellite installed, she said "I will do tommorrow and we have in 1 day"... Then I cringed.. I know this usually means complications beyond my control. But I 'once again' gave her the benefit of the doubt.

I have no problem registering and booking the service online and pay using my credit card,... because that is the system where I come from, and it is second nature to me.

My mistake, was thinking it was a simple enough process to give the reigns so to speak to my gf and her dad.

I am not lethargic or too lazy or too uncomfortable with booking satellite TV.. So those posers that are trying to refer to that.... You are so wrong.

But anyway. My gf booked true via a third party satellite supplier,who were totally inept and just as stupid and incompetent about the installation. i really had to watch like an eagle and stop them smashing a huge hole in one on my internal walls to get the cable (with plug attached) through... when i pointed out that it is better for me to watch you drill a small hole in the wall, and clip the molded plug off the end of the receiver box, and I will give them a new plug to connect to the end of the cable.

Anyways.. I got a nice clean clinical installation in the end. The engineers left me with a pamphlet with all the packages on, with a phone number to choose and book the service you require.

That is when True actually came into the equation... they said that we can not have gold or platinum packages, because the 3900 install should have been 1000 baht, and then we can book what we want.

My major bitch on this..... is why would a huge dominant company allow third party installers, and outlets to supply goods that are incompatible with their advertised services?? TrueVisions are the supplier of the equipment, and the fact we were handed a brochure with telephone numbers included to add our required services, only to be told that they supply systems for a lot oif money that have CAPPED services when we can pay a quarter of the price and have anything we want... including the first month subscription for free.

pay 4000 and you can only have a silver monthly subscription...

Now anyone from THE DEVELOPED world... try and tell me that this is acceptable practice....

Stop making excuses for Thailand and Thai people.,... this is just one of the many many many things that is keeping Thailand a backward nation in my eyes. This is particularly frustrating to me, because this country could be such a dominant and uplifted country and a model for this region.

There is enough interest here from the west, and a massive western expat entrepreneurial community that could bring this country forward by the 15 years it is lagging behind the west.

As for that IDIOT who asked me to wind my neck in, and tried to tell me THAT SAME OLD STORY about how it is a big no no to make a Thai lose face.... this is a myth that keeps getting regurgitated on this forum by peoiple who have been here 3 or 4 years.... It is BULLSHIT!!!!

I have been here for 9 months and watch out almost daily for this 'losing face' myth which so far has not reared its head. As a matter of fact.. I am very well travelled in this world... and i have never met a more placate people.

I have seen many instances of Thais losing face, with no excited behaviour involved... Where i come from, if you say something to someone to make them publically 'lose face' you will be in the shy1t big time... and that goes for most countries i have been in..... nobody likes to lose face no matter what country you are from.

So PLEASEEEEEEEEE...... stop spouting the 'losing face' crap... cos it is total F*****G S***T.... and you all know it.

At the same time... Stop trying to take away my right to be pissed off... OK..... If I get pissed off, then i have a right to say i am pissed off.... stop trying to police me you Farang Apologists.

I can even say these things to my THAI gf and her equally THAI family and they agree and accept that what i say is correct.... But we always get these idiots on the forum whop pretend that they are experts on Thailand and come out with the 'lost face' crap and then try to tell ME how i should behave here.

<deleted> Y** .... idiot.

Edited by newsite12

:lol: I like this guy! Think he confused falang apologist and Thai apologist though.

Hehe, yeah, me to

Although I think ole matey might have had a few sherbets before porting that last one :ermm:

Still, its good that his missus and her family wholeheartedly agree with his resolve

Im sure its not because they are to scared to say otherwise :whistling:

I used to have the True gold package. I cancelled it and returned the decoder, etc when I moved apartment about a year ago. Now I don't bother with a TV service at all. It was crap anyway, they cut (censor) so much out of movies that sometimes the plot is lost beyond comprehension.

Nowadays I just download anything I want to watch from the torrents and watch it on my living room TV via the USB drive on my DVD player which allows me to watch anything I want on the full sized TV screen. From what I've seen most DVD players have this functionality, I got mine for less than a 1000 Baht in Emporium a year or two ago.

Same here. In the end paying the equivalent of 50 quid for the True Platinum package simply didn't add up. I know they have no control over channel content but with the number of repeats across the board and ( apart from footie) me not being much of a sports fan it was a great big waste of money.

With my 4 mb TOT I can download a well seeded film in under an hour. That'll do me.

" and i do not speak or understand Thai too good yet" and "obviously there is a huge intelligence problem in Thailand"

I think I concur.

I am totally missing the point of your reply... i have only been here a few months ... strange post.

I fully understand.

During my first few years in Thailand I lost thousands and thousands of bahts due to my naivety and inexperience.

I too put my trust in people believing they knew exactly what they were doing and acting for my best interests. At most times everything ended up as a complete disaster, which cost me dear, in money, stress and inconvenience.

My advice is, is not to put your trust in other people, do some research on line first or ask someone who already has a service you are considering to obtain before entering into any venture or commitments.

Don’t worry, you are not alone, we have all been there.

LOL...yup it's a matter of just "handling it all" for a lot of so called old EP hands.if you want to keep your sanity..it happens to Thais too though!!

MIL is having an old well dug out yesterday..they stopped after the "experienced well diggers" said the dirt was collapsing in the ground water as they dug and "very danger"...wife tells me the story and I says so what are they gonna do? "Don't know ..they eat now"..I just said tell (the stupid @#$%^..unsaid)them to dig a bowl ie about 3m across then the sides won't collapse..then they can slide in the concrete tubes down the slope,backfill etc..also if they say "cannot" .. tell them to p.... off and we will get a backhoe in instead.....so didn't hear anything ..so finally about 5 hours later I asked ..well what happened? .."oh they finish already".....sigh.!! AND I know absolutely SFA about digging wells..

..now I have to go over and install pump, electrics with GFI and plumbing ...would not trust the result if some other "expert" did it..TIT

re TV ...it is amazing that the most Satellite installers don't have satfinder meters!!! Our dish is on a concrete pole and I think it has moved a bit in the wet and wind....had 'em come out and realign....LOL....yeh right..a whole family ..6 of 'em came and sat on our living room floor watching the available pixelating Thai channels and pissing around with the menu ( I had to change it to Thai for 'em) for an hour before departing.."cannot".........now waiting for delivery of my meter...lol ..."if ya want something done right.....etc" aaaaah! Wheres the bottle!!

what i say is correct....

<deleted> Y** .... idiot.

:ermm:

? I really didn't think that was the craziest thing I'd heard - nor even the most unpleasant, though it did bring the average down.

I like how he signs himself at the end of the line though

SC

I suppose we should help him out - its "Thank", not "Fank", though some English struggle to pronounce the 'th' properly