Thai Airways Enforce Waistline Rules On Their Flight Attendants

webfact

I guess I can post as I meet the required wiast size...:D having been bumped in the shoulder numerous times by a somewhat long in the tooth rather rotund flight attendant (Air Canada) I can totally see the need for a little thinning of the thighs ....just saying...:lol:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this has to do with safety or movement on the plane then why is their a size difference between a female and a male?

Not sure if you have noticed lately Nisa but men are built a bit bigger than women. They would be flat out finding enough men with a 32" waist, and who would lift all that heavy luggage for the frail females?

I'm pretty sure she understands the physical differences between men and women. :) I get her point. If the issue is flight attendants being able to safely and efficiently move down the aisle without bumping into people, and only a waist of XX inches will comfortably fit through the aisle, then it shouldn't matter if the person having that waist size is a man or a woman.

If this has to do with safety or movement on the plane then why is their a size difference between a female and a male?

Not sure if you have noticed lately Nisa but men are built a bit bigger than women. They would be flat out finding enough men with a 32" waist, and who would lift all that heavy luggage for the frail females?

Based on your comments it sounds like they should allow the women to be a little bigger than the men. wink.gif

Edited by Nisa

I am not sure if you are joking. The constitution defines the roles of the government, not the rules of a company's employment contract.

If you don't like the contract, work somewhere else.

What is the next step, everyone has to get a front-page cover on a fashion magazine, since everyone is equal?

Stipulates only the role of government? Ironically, the 3rd chapter after general provision, then the king, is the Rights of the Thai people. Noticeably, government isn't mentioned in the list until chapter 5. I do notice, that the "Duties of the Thai people" comes in chapter 4. One of which is presumably, to not read the constitution to closely, and don't exercise the rights enshrined in it too vehemently.

If the existing stewardesses can prove that having a 33 inch waistline doesn't impinge on your ability to do a job, I would think they have a case.

Of course, when you hire someone, the standard answer is that your qualifications don't meet the requirements of the job. If the job is for a model, you can make up any nonsense you want. Hooters seems to have no problem hiring, but I don't suppose the management tell refused hires "yeah honey, the reason we didn't hire you is because your t**s are too small. What you can't tell the candidates is, you aren't hired because you are fat, thin, pink, yellow or white.

When it comes to hiring new staff, what they should do is instruct those doing the hiring to hire a certain profile, but not announce to the world that there is a waist measurement limitation. How about stipulating, skin colour, measurements, sexual inclination, in the requirements too? Thai will probably now have to explain why having a 32 inch waist makes for a stewardess who can't do her job.

Part 2 : Equality

Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

Measures determined by the State in order to eliminate obstacles to or to promote persons’ ability to exercise their rights and liberties in the same manner as other persons shall not be deemed as unjust discrimination under paragraph three.

Section 31. Members of the armed forces or the police force, Government officials, other State officials and officials or employees of State agencies shall enjoy the same rights and liberties under the Constitution as those enjoyed by other persons, unless such enjoyment is restricted by law or bylaw issued by virtue of the law specifically enacted in regard to politics, efficiency, disciplines or ethics.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Thailand_(2007)/Chapter_3

Not sure how stipulating a 32 inch waistline assures a more competent air stewardess than a 26 inch one.

Personally I am for getting rid of all the flight attendants and simply having a physician and nurse on board. Instead of seats just small cots for people to lay down on. Instead of oxygen masks just have IVs with a sedative and nutrients. Airlines could stack more people in, do away with food and entertainment and us passengers could close our eyes on take off and open them after landing. In fact, take it a step further and knock my azz out at the check-in counter and let me wake up in a chair at baggage collection. cool.gif

Ohhhhhhhhh That sounds *PERFECT!*

I am not sure if you are joking. The constitution defines the roles of the government, not the rules of a company's employment contract.

What is the next step, everyone has to get a front-page cover on a fashion magazine, since everyone is equal?

Stipulates only the role of government? Ironically, the 3rd chapter after general provision, then the king, is the Rights of the Thai people. Noticeably, government isn't mentioned in the list until chapter 5. I do notice, that the "Duties of the Thai people" comes in chapter 4. One of which is presumably, to not read the constitution to closely, and don't exercise the rights enshrined in it too vehemently.

If the existing stewardesses can prove that having a 33 inch waistline doesn't impinge on your ability to do a job, I would think they have a case.

Of course, when you hire someone, the standard answer is that your qualifications don't meet the requirements of the job. If the job is for a model, you can make up any nonsense you want. Hooters seems to have no problem hiring, but I don't suppose the management tell refused hires "yeah honey, the reason we didn't hire you is because your t**s are too small. What you can't tell the candidates is, you aren't hired because you are fat, thin, pink, yellow or white.

When it comes to hiring new staff, what they should do is instruct those doing the hiring to hire a certain profile, but not announce to the world that there is a waist measurement limitation. How about stipulating, skin colour, measurements, sexual inclination, in the requirements too? Thai will probably now have to explain why having a 32 inch waist makes for a stewardess who can't do her job.

Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

Measures determined by the State in order to eliminate obstacles to or to promote persons’ ability to exercise their rights and liberties in the same manner as other persons shall not be deemed as unjust discrimination under paragraph three.

Section 31. Members of the armed forces or the police force, Government officials, other State officials and officials or employees of State agencies shall enjoy the same rights and liberties under the Constitution as those enjoyed by other persons, unless such enjoyment is restricted by law or bylaw issued by virtue of the law specifically enacted in regard to politics, efficiency, disciplines or ethics.

Not sure how stipulating a 32 inch waistline assures a more competent air stewardess than a 26 inch one.

Equal rights under the law. Not 'equal rights over other peoples property'. If you believe in a communist economical system then move to a country that employs one.

Again, it stipulates that you, the citizen (so, not 'you') shall have equal rights before the state.

It does not mean that everyone should get an equal shot towards being an air-flight stewardess.

Wish the passengers sitting next to me had width restrictions.

Here Here. I always say that. I'm 73KG and allowed 20oKG hold luggage but a 100KG person is allowed the same. Should be a scale for passenger and luggage to be weighed on together and a tax imposed on anything over a certain weight. I do expect flack for this but bring it on. Who cares how big the cabin crew are anyway. We don't have to be squashed next to them do we.

Yes I'm near 100kg but I'm also 209cm tall, so you're telling me I should now pay more because I'm tall? blink.gifcrazy.gif

Bah still pretty ignorant if you ask me. I don't care if the stewardess is skinny or fat young or old, I just want her to ;

1) Speak and understand English

2) Be Pleasant and helpful

3) Smell nice

What about the ability to get you off the plane without getting wedged in the aisle when it goes down?

A perfect example of when NOT being PC is a very good thing!

;)

Now all they need to do is get the fatties on the scales, have them pay the charges or into a business class seat so as to not impinge on others.

Just wondering who has the temerity to ask a young lady to stand still while they take her measurements? In some countries this borders on sexual harassment. Is there a requirement for whoever takes the measurements to have extra long arms? If so, isn't this also an infringement on personal liberty?

Why the fuss about waist size? I suggest that the appropriate measurement is girth around the hips. It is hardly a rewarding experience to have to witness Miss Wobblebottom aka Gargantua traipsing up and down the aisles. I think that Ryanair would charge extra for a window seat so as to avoid witnessing this unedifying sight. BTW they charge extra to use the loo on their flights.

Equal rights under the law. Not 'equal rights over other peoples property'. If you believe in a communist economical system then move to a country that employs one.

Again, it stipulates that you, the citizen (so, not 'you') shall have equal rights before the state.

It does not mean that everyone should get an equal shot towards being an air-flight stewardess.

People's rights has nothing to do with being communist. I take it to mean that Thai has to come up with a legitimate reason (i.e. safety) in terms of being able to perform the job, why someone with a 33 inch waistline is unable to perform the job.

The grander irony might be that Thai is 51% owned by the state.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Why the fuss about waist size? I suggest that the appropriate measurement is girth around the hips. It is hardly a rewarding experience to have to witness Miss Wobblebottom aka Gargantua traipsing up and down the aisles.

Maybe that would be appropriate for women (at least those that are pear-shaped vs. apple-shaped), but that wouldn't work for the male employees who tend to carry weight in their stomachs. And these guidelines aren't just for women! If you read my post from yesterday, you'll see that yesterday's article in the paper indicated that the majority (almost 70%) of the employees who are currently too big for the guidelines are MEN!!!!! Posters seem to keep forgetting that and criticizing only overweight female employees. What about Mr. Beerbelly? Is that more rewarding for you to look at?

It's NOT just about the ' visage' of the crew, it's also about the COST OF TRANSPORTING THEM DURING FLIGHT !!! :whistling:

Every Extra Kilo costs in Fuel..so calculate the Real Cost over the year per crew member...

The Flight Crew have limits,,,or they loose their licence to fly until they ' slim down'...:annoyed:.

The last couple of flights i did on ' Thai ' , the ATTITUDE was the real issue :angry:.

I don't fly Thai anymore,,, C/C service has gone DOWN and $cost have gone UP...:ph34r:.

Why the fuss about waist size? I suggest that the appropriate measurement is girth around the hips. It is hardly a rewarding experience to have to witness Miss Wobblebottom aka Gargantua traipsing up and down the aisles.

Maybe that would be appropriate for women (at least those that are pear-shaped vs. apple-shaped), but that wouldn't work for the male employees who tend to carry weight in their stomachs. And these guidelines aren't just for women! If you read my post from yesterday, you'll see that yesterday's article in the paper indicated that the majority (almost 70%) of the employees who are currently too big for the guidelines are MEN!!!!! Posters seem to keep forgetting that and criticizing only overweight female employees. What about Mr. Beerbelly? Is that more rewarding for you to look at?

Passengers do not want white faced catwalk flight attendants. But I dont want hippo.s serving and I dont want barbie dolls. I want service with a smile, with air stewards a reasonable pleasant shape. GET real airlines, ladyboys---now skinnies--what next ????

It's NOT just about the ' visage' of the crew, it's also about the COST OF TRANSPORTING THEM DURING FLIGHT !!! :whistling:

Every Extra Kilo costs in Fuel..so calculate the Real Cost over the year per crew member...

Near zero considering a large planes take off weight can be around a million kilos.

I thought they were quite slim compared to Qantas staff

QANTAS hosties always remind me of the old saying " Mutton dressed up as Lamb " :ermm:

i agree wih you , they wear so much make up/ polyfilla.

you can add BA, to the list .

i used to fly KLM, i dumped them on doctors orders ,

the trolly dolls , were frightening , causing me to have nightmares .

:jap:

and to all the people typing on this thread get the tape measures out and if you are within the specified size please continue to add your comments - if not you are forthwith bannished from TV

if this sort of thing was the standard for employment in any job many of you fat foookers would never have been employed and the rest sacked at some stage

this is a serious load of crock

So true for the most part. But I really do enjoy Asian ladies as flight attendants... I'm so conflicted :o

The reaily is:

1) Business class generates the most profits for any airline.

2) Most business class travellers are male.

3) Men want to see hot stewardesses- that includes slim waistes, pretty faces, younger age

4) The most successful airliines are those with the hottest stewardesses - Singapore, Virgin, Emirates

The reaily is:

1) Business class generates the most profits for any airline.

2) Most business class travellers are male.

3) Men want to see hot stewardesses- that includes slim waistes, pretty faces, younger age

4) The most successful airliines are those with the hottest stewardesses - Singapore, Virgin, Emirates

The most profitable airline (at least a few years back) was FedEx ... and I don't think they mind fat stewardess' laugh.gif

I'm pretty sure airlines make little profit on seats and most profits come from fuel hedging, cargo transport and additional passenger fees. As for business class I would question how much more revenue they could bring in if they simple added additional economy seats (probably 1.5 for every business class seat) which would generate more fees .. this combined with the fact that a good portion of people flying business class are doing so using mileage upgrades. Thats my opinion anyway.

Qantas are already employing stewardesses on short term contracts on some routes already...The days of 'service with attitude' ...'I'm doing you all a favour by serving you' will eventually go!Decades of unionionised conflict with management has unfortunately bred a culture amongst Qantas and BA staff that it is actually them who come first...not the passenger!!It's why everyone picks up on this when flying with them...Their flashy,wanky, expensive adverts try to paint a perception of excellence in their airline...Asian airlines and Emirates leave them standing!!!Their trolley dolleys' should be shipped off to the sociology section of the Transport Museum for examples and future reference!!

Edited by sydneyjed

People's rights has nothing to do with being communist. I take it to mean that Thai has to come up with a legitimate reason (i.e. safety) in terms of being able to perform the job, why someone with a 33 inch waistline is unable to perform the job.

Again, you seem confused over what the declaration of equal right in the constitution is in regards to.

What part of the constitution declares that you have the right to be hired foe whatever position you want or that employers are not allowed to define what requirements they need the applicant to have to fill the position?

In America (my country) companies like to say they do not discriminate against gender, age, physical looks and... and ... when hiring. -But a good looking 25 year old will get a job over a aging 40 year old for a position -- not only because of age, but because the other person is cheaper to hire. Look at Fox News, do you ever see a member of their news team that is ugly and over 40??? Yet, this particular news (?) agency will accuse various companies or government organizations for discrimination (by the way, I am not a Fox fan.

I like the thai way of just saying what they really want for job qualifications than lying and acting like they are open to all applicants.

As a fellow Yank, it appears to me that to get a job as a flight attendant with a US airline, (UA stands out in particular), a woman must be overweight, at least 40 and have the bedside manner of Nurse Ratchett.

The younger flight attendants have the less desirable flights, making three, four, or even five short jumps per day. THe senior attendants get the more desirable flights, to include Narita and Bangkok.

So for a passenger flying to Bangkok, it may seem that United attendants are older, but to say they have poor manners is really overstating it. I would strongly say that the older attendants on United give some of the best service I have received from any airline other than maybe SIngapore or Eva.

Again, you seem confused over what the declaration of equal right in the constitution is in regards to.

What part of the constitution declares that you have the right to be hired foe whatever position you want or that employers are not allowed to define what requirements they need the applicant to have to fill the position?

It doesn't say that an employer has an obligation to hire someone they don't want to hire. It doesn't state that you have the right to be hired for whatever position you want. It states that an employer can't reason not to hire or discriminate against someone on the basis of

origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.
, they have to find another reason, and if a person feels that they have been discriminated against on any of the above issues, this is not allowed under the constitution.

HR managers have dealt with this issue for donkey's years. I would imagine they are perfectly entitled to specify minimum strength to be able to aid passengers with luggage, restrain passengers who are unruly, minimum height to be able to open bins, and possibly even maximum size for safety reasons. They can't refuse to hire a 150 kg person because he/she is overweight, but safety considerations would probably get Thai off the hook. However, if the only requirement to get the job was to be among the first 50 across the line in a 10k race, and the 150kg person came first, they would have a big problem not to hire the person. This is why they make the requirements myriad and varied, should focus on ability and talent that goes beyond a tight ass.

I read that some of the stewards have lodged a case, lets see.

Edited by Thai at Heart

It doesn't say that an employer has an obligation to hire someone they don't want to hire. It doesn't state that you have the right to be hired for whatever position you want. It states that an employer can't reason not to hire or discriminate against someone on the basis of

origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.
, they have to find another reason, and if a person feels that they have been discriminated against on any of the above issues, this is not allowed under the constitution.

It doesn't say that.

It says that people are equal under the law and that 'unjust discrimination' shall 'not be permitted' -- not that everyone is entitled to the same access to a position of a specific employment.

It doesn't say that.

It says that people are equal under the law and that 'unjust discrimination' shall 'not be permitted' -- not that everyone is entitled to the same access to a position of a specific employment.

They are entitled to access, which I take to mean, they are entitled to present themselves for the position. i.e. The advertisments should not stipulate colour, religion, physical and all the other issues presented in the constitution.

I read up a little last night about how Singapore airlines do this, and so end up with the very competent, very attractive stewardesses.

Advertised requirements Singapore Airlines

Apart from the above, are there other entry requirements?

You should also possess the following qualities:

Warm, hospitable with a winning approach to customer service

Good communication skills

Ability to work well independently and in a team

Be tactful and composed in difficult situations

Willing to work irregular hours and be away from home from extended period

Firstly, it is an open interview, and literally thousands of people pitch up, so it is extremely competitive.

Secondly, there is a committee of judges

There are 6 separate stages to pass to get to the final interview, so they have ample opportunity to sort the wheat from the chaff on all aspects.

As the interviews/tests are held, the people are slowly whittled down. There was one interesting piece I found somewhere, that they don't screen out the fat, ugly, spotty one's on the first round, which would seem logical, but as was expressed in one piece that I found, on my phone, but cannot find again from an HR guy, who stated "people have rights, we have to give them the appearance of a chance".

So as the rounds go on, don't you think it is feasible that when they are rating "grooming", where the girls have to put on the uniforms in 2 minutes and add makeup, there is a skin check believe it or not, that they largely catch 99% of who they don't want. The will rate someone on grooming, not BMI or waist measurements. Bitten nails, or a single spot are enough to get you refused. SI don't have to tell you of course, but they rate you subjectively and apparently objectively, without having to state that you are fat, dark skinned etc

SI test questions

Then, the contracts are not open rolling lifetime contracts, but 5 years and the staff are constantly rated, and many airlines stipulate

maintaining outstanding fitness and appearance as part of the contract. Very broad brushed and over a 5 year period, if you don't maintain your appearance, out the door you go. Others stipulate that you must be in the "healthy" definition of the BMI. Another slippery way of keeping people on their toes. If you are overweight in some countries, I read that the airline can put you on a diet for "health and fitness" reasons. All very difficult to prove in court that the reason for doing so is so that you look good.

I don't know if Thai airways has open application/walk in interview. I somehow doubt it very much, because this would limit the opportunities for the rumored nepotism that goes on in the selection process. It wouldn't be too hard for them to institute exactly the same system as SIA or Air Asia who end up selecting employees who are very pleasing to the eye whilst being very competent. However, the strength of the Thai airways union, probably prevents this type of constant rating of employee performance, and as far as I know the contracts are open ended, so how do you reasonably and legally go about instituting a requirement that the employees must have a certain physical appearance, if it may not have been stipulated in their contract.

and to all the people typing on this thread get the tape measures out and if you are within the specified size please continue to add your comments - if not you are forthwith bannished from TV

if this sort of thing was the standard for employment in any job many of you fat foookers would never have been employed and the rest sacked at some stage

this is a serious load of crock

No need for me to get the tape measure out, I'm not applying for a position as a trolley dolly.

There are many positions that use physical restrictions to vet out applicants, defence forces, police etc etc.

I have no problem with getting rid of all the crap and just stating 'girls wanted, must be slim and hot and be willing to join the mile high club'.

Off with PC.

So you are saying that you are not against the principle of discrimination per se you just want them to hide it?

I think the idea anywhere in the world that you can remove all discrimination and prejudice still has a long way to go. I prefer the selection system to be as merit based as it possibly can be, and go beyond base values of physical appearance. From a purely visual perspective, I would love to have all stewardesses looking like Victoria secret models, however, I am not sure they would make particularly good stewardesses. The selection criteria in all of these interviews focus massively on personality, perseverance, calmness under pressure, ability to handle people, love of customer service which to me a more vital than having a good figure.

No one should be barred from trying to apply, and if it is proveable that someone isn't selected because it was because they are black skinned, muslim, communist, gay, this should not be allowed. Proving it is the hard bit, and companies are very clever about it normally, unlike I think in this situation.

Doctor Backs Thai Airways Slimming Policy

A doctor has come out in support of a new rule by Thai Airways International requiring overweight employees to lose the extra pounds.

He says it will improve body mass index and their overall health.

Director of the Department of Cardiovascular and Metabolism of Ramathibodi Hospital, Doctor Kanata Karuthakul, said it is healthy for everyone to keep their weight to the standard body mass index, or BMI, level.

The doctor was speaking on a recent regulation by Thai Airways International for their overweight employees to lose weight and reduce their waistline.

Dr. Kanata said a person with excessive body weight is more likely to risk incurrent diseases such as heart disease, hyper-lipidemia, hypertension, diabetes, respiratory syndromes and cancer.

However, the doctor suggested that Thai Airways allow a period of longer than six months, which it previously ordered, as healthy weight loss should be carried out at the pace of no more than two kilograms per month.

Kanata said 90 percent of those who had lost weight experienced a yoyo effect because they went through an improper way of dieting.

He urged all of the airline's employees to start from reducing the amount of carbohydrate, fat, and sugar they consume, while switching to vegetable and unsweetened fruit.

He also said ice-cream, cake and soft drink should be avoided as they contain unhealthy ingredients.

He reiterated that Thai Airways should extend the deadline on losing weight, as it is dangerous for employees.

He said a healthy diet will create a positive outcome for both the employees and the airline.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-03-03

footer_n.gif