Adress Configuration Linksys ?

april81

I have a Linksys router and the Web configuration IP is 192.168.1.1 That IP is pretty standard on most routers/access points.

ok thanks but i use 3bb how to configurate the basic set up PPoe ? Automatic configuration....

I have a Linksys router and the Web configuration IP is 192.168.1.1 That IP is pretty standard on most routers/access points.

ok thanks but i use 3bb how to configurate the basic set up PPoe ? Automatic configuration....

You should have a letter supplied to you when you subscribed that contains the PPoE information and your login and password for 3BB service. When I changed from their standard, pre-configured router to the Linksys I just took all the information from this letter and plugged it into the configuration. I also copied the information from their router first before I realized it was all in that letter (receipt). ;)

If no answer by the time I get home from work I will post the details then.

Hi, Cheers for that. mine is on TOT but when I now switch it on I can connect to the wireless network fine but no internet. When I run a diagnose problem it just tells me that the wireless router has no IP address but doesn't fix it or tell me how to give it one ? :blink:

Hi, Cheers for that. mine is on TOT but when I now switch it on I can connect to the wireless network fine but no internet. When I run a diagnose problem it just tells me that the wireless router has no IP address but doesn't fix it or tell me how to give it one ? :blink:

Your router needs 2 IP addresses because it works on two networks - the internal one - your home network that your computer is on, and the external one - Internet. Your router effectively sits between the two networks and decides which data should be passed in between. The router comes with an internal network address set by default (usually to 192.168.1.1) and the external one is usually allocated by your service provider every time you connect. So if to get a message that your router does not have an ip address, this refers to the external address, which means that you have a problem with the connection between your router and your isp.

We still dont know if the OP has a modem and a router or a modem/router. Until we know that we will get nowhere.

The simple act of giving the router's model number, instead of just saying "router", would have told us.

In my case I have a D=Link router that then connects to a Linksys wireless router. If I connect a Lan cable direct to the D-Link I can access the internet without any problems. It is only when I take the cable from the D-Link to the Linksys that it fails to be given an IP address so I cannot access the internet via the wireless. No big deal as I just use the Lan but I would like the wireless back if possible :blink:

Well, you will also have a modem. No modem : no internet connection. A router is NOT a modem. A modem/router is a modem (and a router). From your description the modem is in fact your Dlink, so it is a modem/router or maybe just a modem.

Give us the model number of the Dlink and the number of ethernet sockets on the back. The model number of the Linksys would be useful also.

The reason that it isnt working is probably that you have two routers connected together: you cant do this without adjusting the setup.

We still dont know if the OP has a modem and a router or a modem/router. Until we know that we will get nowhere.

The simple act of giving the router's model number, instead of just saying "router", would have told us.

See post #2. Hard to help people who can't follow simple instructions.

In my case I have a D=Link router that then connects to a Linksys wireless router. If I connect a Lan cable direct to the D-Link I can access the internet without any problems. It is only when I take the cable from the D-Link to the Linksys that it fails to be given an IP address so I cannot access the internet via the wireless. No big deal as I just use the Lan but I would like the wireless back if possible :blink:

You won't be able to access the internet if the Linksys is configured to function only as Wireless Access Point (with DHCP disabled). Why are you using two routers anyway?

I assume your current setup to be something like this:

R1: D-Link IP = 192.168.1.1 (gateway)
Subnet = 255.255.255.0
DHCP = ON
IP Pool = 192.168.1.100~192.168.1.254

R2: Linksys IP = 192.168.1.2
Subnet = 255.255.255.0
DHCP = OFF
IP Pool = N/A

*** R2 function as Wireless Access Point
*** Both devices connected via crossover/patch cable

Edited by Supernova

It appears that I am calling the D-Link a router when it is in fact a modem :blink: Before things went pear shaped I had a Lan cable coming out of the single lan output on the back and going to the Lan input for the internet on the wireless Linksys router. I used to be able to access the internet wirelessly no problem. Now when I do this the trouble shooter tells me the is no IP address for the router :huh: If I plug the lan directly into my computer No problem either ? :blink:

Oh the joys of computing :D

So the D-Link is in fact a modem... Well, that changes things a bit.

Try this, see if it works...

1. Enable DHCP on Linksys router

2. Set Linksys IP to anything except the one used by modem

(e.g., If the D-Link modem IP = 192.168.1.x, set Linksys IP to 192.168.2.x)

3. Save router configuration and reboot

4. Renew IP on your computer

No changes to modem configuration.