Kettlebells-Any Good?, Any Suggestions For 55 Yo?

Hermes100

Kettleballs are a great workout. They engage many muscles at the same time for an excellent result. They increase stabilty and balance which is good as we age. They will also increase BMD - bone mass density. Start slow!

Age is irrelevant, but existing - known or unknown - medical conditions will decide whether or not they are appropriate.

I think being a Dane is okay, too. Unless you are a great dane. Then the lack of opposing thumbs could be a problem.

I haven't seen kettle bells around Thailand for sale, but standard dumbbells are easily purchased. I've seen the typical cast ones ranging from 1 to 7 kgs. available.

Why would you be too old at 55? If you haven't been doing any sort of exercise for an extended period of time, just start slowly and work up to the number of reps you hope to achieve.

BTW, are 55-year-old Danes different than other 55-year-old people? Just wondering why you specified your ethnicity.

Kettleballs are a great workout. They engage many muscles at the same time for an excellent result. They increase stabilty and balance which is good as we age. They will also increase BMD - bone mass density. Start slow!

Age is irrelevant, but existing - known or unknown - medical conditions will decide whether or not they are appropriate.

I think being a Dane is okay, too. Unless you are a great dane. Then the lack of opposing thumbs could be a problem.

I also wondered why the "Dane" info was included but wish I had thought of you approach when I made my reply -- quite funny. Good one!!!

I haven't seen kettle bells around Thailand for sale, but standard dumbbells are easily purchased. I've seen the typical cast ones ranging from 1 to 7 kgs. available.

Why would you be too old at 55? If you haven't been doing any sort of exercise for an extended period of time, just start slowly and work up to the number of reps you hope to achieve.

BTW, are 55-year-old Danes different than other 55-year-old people? Just wondering why you specified your ethnicity.

Couldn't agree more. 55 is not that old. I am 58 and do free weight training three times a week and feel/look much better for it.

Set an objective, start slow with low weights, gradually increase your weights/sets and in a few weeks you won't know your old self.

Make sure you work all muscle groups regularly.

Got them from a local BKK supplier, quiet happy with them. There is quite a cottage industry in assorted exotic movements and routines sure to give your inner ear one hell of a workout, but the truth is there is a point of dimensioning returns. Twice the work does not equal twice the results. One kettlebell, alternating clean and press every morning when you get out of bed, done with a Tabata timer is sufficient to maintain a reasonable level of fitness provided your caloric intake is likewise reasonable. More importantly it's sustainable- while more gung-ho fitness regimens rarely are.

Do what your body tells you you can do. You will soon find out. If you get serious then first have your heart checked out.

I am much older than you and lift weights, well until a year ago when shit happened but soon to return to the gym. :)

where do you get a tabata timer here

I use an MP3, unfortunately the forum software won't let me attach the file.

This might be it:

http://www.beach-fitness.com/tabata/beach-fitness.com%20-%20Tabata%20-%208%20rounds,%2020%20on,%2010%20off%20(Fight%20Bell).mp3

I got a gymboss just google it its real handy. Its cheap and they send it to thailand. Its great for tabata and HITT