Transfering Large Jpg Files

doppa

good morning chaps, enjoyed my 10 day break, gave me time to reflect,,,,,,,,,,aye right.

anyway you techies out there, maybe you can help.

i'm trying to send large j peg files to stock photo agencies, and i mean large, but as you might have guessed, here in san sai, the tot line just can't cope with the size.

so question is, is there a method out there that i can use, i'm not tremendously clued up on this, but would something like a 'wireless dongle ' help, or something similiar that avoids using the current net facility.

ta

How are you sending them? Are these samples you're sending or the actual files, after they agree to use your pics? If the latter then they will have some kind of file drop facility available.

If you're just sending samples to get their interest then just reduce the pics in size to something reasonable.

If the internet connection is really the issue then just load them on to a memory stick and use an internet cafe with a fast connection. Or use a laptop and connect anywhere where there's Wifi, say, Mad Dog.

How are you sending them? Are these samples you're sending or the actual files, after they agree to use your pics? If the latter then they will have some kind of file drop facility available.

If you're just sending samples to get their interest then just reduce the pics in size to something reasonable.

If the internet connection is really the issue then just load them on to a memory stick and use an internet cafe with a fast connection. Or use a laptop and connect anywhere where there's Wifi, say, Mad Dog.

there actual files, so you've never heard of this wireless dongle then?

Edited by doppa

What you talking about is a wireless modem, various options at Pantip Plaza.

Are you looking for an alternative internet source such as the CAT modem? If so, then yes, the wireless dongle would be an option. But if you are looking for a way to send many large files at one time then dropbox is a good solution for you.

the tot line is fine for anyone using the internet for day to day stuff, in fact i recommend them, but i need an alternative, or additional method of sending these large files, so if a wireless modem is the answer i'll check it out, now in laymans terms what is a drop box?

the tot line is fine for anyone using the internet for day to day stuff, in fact i recommend them, but i need an alternative, or additional method of sending these large files, so if a wireless modem is the answer i'll check it out, now in laymans terms what is a drop box?

Just how large are they?

Why can't the TOT line do it or are you trying to send something that you don't want traced back to you?

Why can't the TOT line do it or are you trying to send something that you don't want traced back to you?

If not being traceable is a requirement then I typically do as follows:

* Do image editing (if any) on the same memory stick on which you took the shots.

* Strip EXIF data from the images.

* Rename the image files, even when they're just numbered files like P1234567.JPG; rename to something completely different.

* Zip the files into an archive and encrypt it, but not using any zip encryption. Or 7-Zip offers AES-256 which will do. The zip file of course goes on the same memory stick.

* Take the memory stick to an internet cafe where you can get away with installing stuff on their computer.

* Install TOR, check that it works at whatismyip.com

* Upload from the memory stick.

* Burn the memory stick (as in, set it on fire) and buy a new one. Or if you're skint then deep-erase it. (Using the Eraser tool for example).

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

What you talking about is a wireless modem, various options at Pantip Plaza.

so how exactly does a wireless modem work, where does my internet connection come from?

each file could be as big as 7mb, multiply that by ten or twenty images and its a lot of data.

as far as i can gather, with the internet line i have its akin to try and push an elephant into a test tube, after a while my line just gives up

not only does my file contain the image, because of who i'm sending it too, they require an awful lot of tech, data, including description data etc.

its no secret who im sending it too, the 5 top photo libraries in the world, they accept my images, they are then put on general sale, simple really, except....... i cant find a way to send them.

they dont accept e mails as a way off sending images, i have to use their on line download system, or an ftp, like filezilla, cyberduck in fact any ftp provider.

but as someone commented 'wireless modem' is the answer, so if someone can explain how this works,it'll be useful.

so you see its not easy, will try going to internet shop as a last and only resort

use wetransfer. It is a free service, that allows sending of files up to 2gb in size... which should fit your needs... no limit on how many files a day. Once you load the file up, they email the recipient and inform them of how to download them... again, a free service. No problems, no signing up for either party and besides all of that, their website has totally AWESOME ads!

use wetransfer. It is a free service, that allows sending of files up to 2gb in size... which should fit your needs... no limit on how many files a day. Once you load the file up, they email the recipient and inform them of how to download them... again, a free service. No problems, no signing up for either party and besides all of that, their website has totally AWESOME ads!

i will look and give it a try, but if i have to use my line i still foresee the same prob.

reading the wetransfer FAQ says that the files reside on their servers... and not sent in an email. The email is only for notification to the intended person (up to 20) and provides a link to their servers, where they download the file. I know, cuz i cannot send a 1.5 gig file via email to anyone... yet wetransfer works for me by providing a host, basically.

I use the google product picasa3 and picasaweb for uploading my photo's, send the link to my family and they can download if they want. I am not sure you can it use but you can read this:http://download.cnet.com/Picasa/3000-2193_4-10160334.html

Edited by Joop50

Why not use FTP (file transfer protocol) and ask them for access to their server. Simple and easy and you can leave them running overnight if they are really large, although I wouldn't call 7Mb really large.

i try to use a ftp file, but before the first image is completed the red light indicator on my belkin wireless router flashes then stays on, informing me no connection.

reading the wetransfer FAQ says that the files reside on their servers... and not sent in an email. The email is only for notification to the intended person (up to 20) and provides a link to their servers, where they download the file. I know, cuz i cannot send a 1.5 gig file via email to anyone... yet wetransfer works for me by providing a host, basically.

believe it or not, your sending files through either using their upload system, or an ftp address, there is no e mail address as such to send images, i might be wrong though.

Seems like your issue is the sheer speed of the transfers, not necessary the protocol used. In this case, there are only two real options.

1. Upgrade your TOT service to something with a higher upload rate.

2. Take the pictures to somewhere that has a fast upload rate and will allow you access. Upload using their lines.

The wireless dongal you asked about originally will not provide enough speed. Don't bother purchasing one.

Good Luck

use dropbox.com and the recipients do not have to have dropbox installed as someone said. just put them to public folder as zip file then right click take the public url and add it to email or im message and they can download them.... even easier if the recipients have dropbox and you a sharing folder.

What the f)%£ has this to do with Chiang Mai?

theres always one isnt there, just to remind you, i live in chiangmai and use the resources that chiangmai have to offer, if you look at my original post the subtitle mentions that the fact the subject is about chingmai technology, hence the very helpful suggestions of overcoming the technical difficulties, because chiangmai tech. is not as good as we would like, how much more do you want , its all about chiangmai, now if you've got something useful to say, say it, if not ........i'm tempted !

To make it CM related, CMSteve is correct, the wireless dongle is slower than your broadband and won't work. You can try finding an internet cafe with super fast internet (if such a thing exists in Chiang Mai - much less Thailand) and upload via FTP from there. Dropbox wont' work as its an online file sharing system and your companies want FTP.

so, your next question should be, "Where in Chiang Mai can I find a public connection with enough speed to handle 20 7 MB files?"

To make it CM related, CMSteve is correct, the wireless dongle is slower than your broadband and won't work. You can try finding an internet cafe with super fast internet (if such a thing exists in Chiang Mai - much less Thailand) and upload via FTP from there. Dropbox wont' work as its an online file sharing system and your companies want FTP.

so, your next question should be, "Where in Chiang Mai can I find a public connection with enough speed to handle 20 7 MB files?"

A wireless modem will not work? Thats BS I am using CAT CDMA wireless internet and can transfer large files with no issues at all.