Volunteer Farang Police

ukfriend

Terak - you are correct. My stamp was a 90 day extension based on being a police volunteer, and this was obtained quite a few years ago. But it was rather a hassle to obtain this every 90 days, (since the issuing was at the whim of the police boos who might/might not have got out of the wrong side of bed that morning...)

The extension stamp has 'police volunteer' written in Thai language across it

Simon

Therefore it was only a 90 day extension, easily obtainable as a one off.

Reason I ask to see is I want a local charity to provide me with one. Embassy will grant my original O visa (single entry), but I cannot persuade my local immigration to guarantee a years extension based on voluntary work.

bah.gif

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think developing country is too PC, then how about second world, because third world it isn't.

Well if you think Thailand is on a par with the 'First World' please post examples otherwise please don't comment on something you know little about.

Second World is Communist nations.

'First World' were basically developed nations which post WWII were allied trading partners to the US.

OK, back on topic.

Why slag these lads off? You get <deleted> in all walks of life.

One approach to actually changing things may be to put together a reasoned response as to why you feel the system has failed and as to how the expat community could better serve the local populace.

However this system is clearly not popular nor that effective.

I am not affected by it as I don't live in an area with Volunteer Police (unless you count the wife's mates) but I'd say to those of you who do live in Phuket, Pattaya etc to make your voices heard if you aren't happy.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

All of you saying that volunteers cops dont need a WP are wrong...You are in fact breaking the law whilst being the law enforcers!! Because. to make life easier it is not enforced,,this is also illegal!! How bl--dy ironic is that.

We were watching at the police roadblock on last Monday night on Siriraj RD...We were actually upstairs in a guesthouse videoing the goings on. Remember the Thai guy comming from the south,without a helmet..YES?? sees the cops and does a quick U-turn and heads back to the south again..yes? NEXT THING A FARANG WEARING THE "G....... RIDER" PATCH ON A KAWASAKI TAKES OFF LIKE A MANIAC IN PERSUIT AND GET THIS....THIS PRETENDER HAS A SIREN AND FLASHING LIGHTS GOING OFF!!!! FAR FROM LEGAL HUH! Anyway im telling the thai guys i'm with "i'll post this on youtube [both the club and the police will enjoy that, but i think simons advice to report this is going to have more effect in removing this guy as he is obviously "one of the bad eggs!!" Come April "solly we not want you play police more"

so how do you know a payed thai police had not instructed a Big Bike Highwaypolice to persuade runners? Nothing wrong for a certifed Big Bike Highwaypolice Volunteer to have red Police lights and sirene on his bike. Improves safety. Most Police bikes in Phuket are privately owned, by thais and foreigners, as the Force does not have the budget to supply sufficient number of bikes, espacially big bikes.

I was a student at Big Bike Highwaypolice Volunteer class 5 in Phuket April 2010. Approx 160 students, 2/3 Thai nationals, 1/3 foreigners. The course was 2 days, and we recieved training on bike related road accident and how to behave, mostly in Thai. All class 5 students have ID HW5xxx.

We are to be supervised by a Thai national payed Police. This officer does not need to be present, but can give instructions on what to do while being in another place. We do not wear uniforms, but some of us wear orange Highwaypolice reflecting vests when marshalling, and most of our vehicles are marked Highwaypolice in English and Thai. When marshalling we direct all vehicles regardless of riders/drivers nationality.

We do not issue fines, but at an accident scene we can withold involved by taking their vehicle keys and ID. Tasks so far have been accident scenes and marshalling. On accident scene local Police have sometimes prefered me to take command, even they have arrived before me, if foreigner in accident probably due to language problems. Marshalling can take place with or without payed Thai Police present, and we stop all traffic we find needed

Among the 160 Police ID card holders from class 5, there seem to be a handfull of rotten apples. All Police ID cards are valid for one year only, and its left to see who will get to renew their Police ID this April. There are also some Highwaypolice pretenders around, flashing an ID card holder looking like a badge, but containing no Police ID card. These topics are being discussed on Thai language websites

Police all over Thailand, and especially Phuket, is understaffed. They recruit volunteers to help increase the Policeforce to improve safety. Arriving an accident scene Highwaypolice can rapidly call for Ambulance, organize traffic flow and provide simple first aid. Anyone being involved in an accident scene know how little the general population knows about first aid and their fear of getting involved. Most of us speak 2-5 languages, can ask about their insurance situation, can guide them to a hospital according to their insurance and budget, and on occasions kick them alive again while spectators and local Police believe they are dead. Sometimes a kick in the heart or getting patient out of shock is all it takes to survive

At last KBB you have confirmed what i said in the BBQ post..Thank you Volunteer Highway Police, so obviously no have absolutely no power to act as real police at the BBQ if the El Queda situation does occur.Your power is strictly limited to acting in a very minor role, as in giving assistance and directions and such to motorists who have been stopped by a real copper and/ or as instucted to you directly by a real cop.Even simp;y directing traffic on ride days, you cannot do so without direct supervision from a real cop.Your assurance that you and other Volunteer cops will be present for security at thr BBQ means nothing as you have zero power.Ziltch

You have drawn your own false conclusions, but thats your problem. Any payed Thai Police offiser can instruct me to do what is needed at any point, without being present. Did you miss that part? As for the BBQ, I have already recieved unlimited instructions, but I am quiet sure my or Chalong Police actions will not be needed.:D

If you think developing country is too PC, then how about second world, because third world it isn't.

Well if you think Thailand is on a par with the 'First World' please post examples otherwise please don't comment on something you know little about.

'First World' were basically developed nations which post WWII were allied trading partners to the US.

OK, back on topic.

Why slag these lads off? You get <deleted> in all walks of life.

One approach to actually changing things may be to put together a reasoned response as to why you feel the system has failed and as to how the expat community could better serve the local populace.

However this system is clearly not popular nor that effective.

I am not affected by it as I don't live in an area with Volunteer Police (unless you count the wife's mates) but I'd say to those of you who do live in Phuket, Pattaya etc to make your voices heard if you aren't happy.

Of course you live in an area with Volunteer Police, as there are Big Bike Highway Police Volunteers spread all over the country. 6 courses in 7 years have taken place in different towns. Considered needed by Highwaypolice

I actually live in an area with few foreigners in the suburbs of BKK.

I am constantly approached to help people's kids with their English etc.

If it's just a case of talking them through a little point they've been stuck on then I'm only too happy to help. If they want me to 'tutor' their kid I decline because 1) I have a job already which keeps me busy enough and 2) I'm no teacher - I don't have the patience unless the 'kid' is a hot 20 year old female university student. (That said, more often than not my wife takes over as she, being born in the UK and having spent large chunks of her life there, has a far better knowledge of the workings of the Mother Tongue than me but that's neither here nor there)

Now, 2 houses down live a couple of Immigration Officers. I asked them if I was breaking the law by helping young 'Somchai' iron out a few problems with his English and they roared with laughter. They said 'Do you follow the law to the letter in England you silly ******?' and I had to admit I saw their point.

I think all this pontificating about WPs is kind of moot.

At the end of the day, no matter what you want to do, if the Thais want you to do it then they will either turn a blind eye or cut through the Red Tape.

I actually live in an area with few foreigners in the suburbs of BKK.

2/3 of the approx 1000 Big Bike Highwaypolice Volunteers are Thai nationals, spread all over the country. Some of my classmates in Phuket (HW5xxx) are from extremely wealthy Phuket families

Thanks again Simon for doing your best to provide information on the foreign volunteers in Thailand. I'm afraid it will never be enough to satiate the hunger of some members to see scandal and self-righteousness where there is none. I recall you doing the same back when you were still a TPV in Patong, even starting your own thread eliciting questions from BM's here and on PhuketInfo. Despite a few members feeling threatened by an expat in a Thai uniform, foreign volunteers are a great idea. The bad apples and abuses by admin we know exist are unfortunate. We know the police in this country are largely corrupt, so naturally foreign volunteers comprised of members from many nationalities is not going to be immune from this. Just like law enforcement in the west, some just like to strut around in uniform. Humans are human. Most of these get weeded out, but not all. Not sure about this guy in Chalong. I've seen him a few times as well. He wears the same uniform as regular RTP, sounds like he is more a tool to catch foreigners than to protect us.

Still, it's my opinion the relief felt by a tourist in trouble when they see the familiar face in uniform is reason enough for their existence. I have seen TPV's breaking up fights between drunk foreigners, separating them and sending them on their way. The RTP wouldn't have been so kind.

...what exactly is the role of the volunteer police, what powers do they have in relation to the Thai police. for example i have heard that they have no powers at all, only to assist the Thai police, but i have witnessed first hand the Thai police just standing back and letting the volunteer police get on with it, in that situation if someone dies, i.e the volunteer or the person being talked to or arrested, how do the volunteers stand legally. before any volunteer can take there place throughout the world, they are vetted, does that happen here, what training do they get, do they know there limitations, is there a written guide line book they have to follow

I was involved in law enforcement in the states for nearly a decade before a chronic injury forced a career change. I have been both a volunteer reserve police officer and a salaried full time police officer in the states. Both of my college degrees are in U.S. criminal justice, and as such, learning Thai law is a hobby of mine. I am currently a Highway Police Volunteer. The OP has some valid questions, but as usual there is a lot of false assumptions made about the volunteer program purposes,and especially Thai law, with a liberal sprinkling of the standard baseless emotional responses and name calling. Simon and Katabeachbum have done a pretty good job explaining things. For the rest, I'll do my best to sort out the fact from fiction.

Hi KBB, regarding the highway police volunteers what powers do they have, is it just in a passive and help the traffic move on way or can they actually stop and ask to see licences or pull someone over for non helmet wearing, could they go as far as to inspect a vehicle for road worthiness, of coarse it would have to be a spluttering shed on wheels.again i can see this being a grey area and open to abuse by the vehicle owner not the volunteer police, i.e you know a certain vehicle shouldn't be on the road but you are powerless to in pound it. puts another slant on the issue

A non-sworn volunteer of any kind (Thai or Farang) does not alone have the authority to "pull you over." Only sworn police officers can do that. Whether they are paid or not is actually irrelevant to policing powers. (For example, in America as a volunteer reserve police officer I was similarly trained and had the exact same police powers as regular cops but only while on duty. I don't know if Thailand has volunteer sworn officers like this, but it's possible.) Usually the easiest way to tell who are the sworn officers is to look if they carry a gun. To make it more confusing, many legitimate salaried uniformed government officials don't carry guns, and some Or Bor Tor, or municipal police that wear blue uniforms do carry guns and I have no idea what there powers of arrest are.) Non-sworn volunteers are supposed to work under the direct supervision of the sworn officers. Period. Under the direction of a sworn officer, the volunteers have the authority to do whatever the sworn officer tells them to (within the sworn officers authority of course).

This relationship between the volunteer and the sworn officer is actually exactly the same as the relationship between a sworn officer and any other person, which brings me to my next point: citizens arrest.

At last KBB you have confirmed what i said in the BBQ post..Thank you Volunteer Highway Police, so obviously no have absolutely no power to act as real police at the BBQ if the El Queda situation does occur.Your power is strictly limited to acting in a very minor role, as in giving assistance and directions and such to motorists who have been stopped by a real copper and/ or as instucted to you directly by a real cop.Even simp;y directing traffic on ride days, you cannot do so without direct supervision from a real cop.Your assurance that you and other Volunteer cops will be present for security at thr BBQ means nothing as you have zero power.Ziltch

Well, not quite right. Most counties afford it's citizens some kind of ability to effect a citizens arrest. Despite it's name, you do not need to be an actual citizen to execute an arrest. Thailand has laws defining citizens arrest, but they are fairly limited, and un-sworn volunteers and security guards can and do utilize this law. Basically, a citizens arrest can be made when directed by a sworn officer or when a crime is committed against or in the presence of the arresting person. The arresting person must immediately and without delay surrender the detained person to a sworn police officer.

Basically, brienno1955, a volunteers right to detain or arrest are the same as yours provided the volunteer isn't acting at the direction of a police officer. The difference will be that the volunteer will probably be better equipped in terms of training and tools available to effect the arrest, (many carry collapsible batons, pepper/mace, and handcuffs) and the volunteer will certainly have the backing of the police.

These discussions about the foreign volunteer police crop up regularly on ThaiVisa, and always draw strong feelings and comments.

An important reason cited for the existence of foreign volunteers in tourist locations such as Phuket is that the salaried Thai police officers (of which there are woefully few), are unable to provide an acceptable level of service to both Thai citizens and foreign tourists. The number of salaried police officers is allocated according to the number of registered voters in the province. Phuket has a huge number of unregistered voters, as well as many foreign tourists. So volunteers - both Thai and foreign are invited to assist the police.

Any volunteer operation is open to abuse by those who volunteer for all the wrong reasons, and from my 5 years of police volunteer work in 3 different Thai cities, I know that there are some foreign police volunteers who have morals and ethical standards lower than a very low snake.

I also know that there are many honest and dedicated volunteers, and some who no longer work as volunteers, due to frustrations about the lax attitude and manner in which the volunteer system is operated and abused.

A police volunteer is in the public eye, and therefore it is vitally important that there is a strict code of conduct, a defined system to investigate complaints against volunteers, a defined training, monitoring and assessment system.

Simon

why do u hardly ever see forang volenteers when they are needed the most like at a car accident when the fornag needs to know what the porceedure is in Thailand. Instead the forang is left there completly baffled. does not know whos fault it is legally and normally ends up with a bad head ache and an empty wallet and thai police who cannot communitcate much but can write out letters in thai for the forang to sign which could mean anything ???????

Basically, brienno1955, a volunteers right to detain or arrest are the same as yours provided the volunteer isn't acting at the direction of a police officer. The difference will be that the volunteer will probably be better equipped in terms of training and tools available to effect the arrest, (many carry collapsible batons, pepper/mace, and handcuffs) and the volunteer will certainly have the backing of the police.

One should also be aware of the criminal aspect of attacking a Police Volunteer, or resisting arrest by a Police Volunteer. Police Volunteers can be identified by its badge, Police ID card, uniform or marked vehicle. The vehicle marking can be small like stickers in windshield and/or on reg plate.

If you dislike a Police Volunteers (or any Police) actions, make a report to his/her superiors rather than trying to sort it yourself

why do u hardly ever see forang volenteers when they are needed the most like at a car accident when the fornag needs to know what the porceedure is in Thailand. Instead the forang is left there completly baffled. does not know whos fault it is legally and normally ends up with a bad head ache and an empty wallet and thai police who cannot communitcate much but can write out letters in thai for the forang to sign which could mean anything ???????

500 accidents average a day only in Phuket. Simply to few Volunteers to cover them.

I have to agree i've never quite thought of it in them terms but it makes sense, to put the cat amongst the pigeons, do people volunteer as doctors, lawyers, teachers, driven instructors etc, not so easy as just the logistical and legal side instantly raises issues,

I don't buy this 'I want to give something back' BS either. If you want to 'give something back' (to a country most have probably given more than enough to already) then why not organise impromptu neighbourhood litter clean ups, go teach English for free or similar?

Whatever next? Volunteer surgeons to assist local doctors in operations? Volunteer taxi drivers to ease the burden on the local drivers....?

As strange as volunteering your time may seem to you guys, many foreigners do volunteer medical services or teach children in developing and third world countries. I am surprised you don't know this. Ever heard of Doctors Without Borders? We have foreign volunteers EMT's and Paramedics right here in Phuket. Mostly foreign scuba divers regularly hold beach/reef clean-up days. Foreign owned dive shops donate boats and gear on these days. I return from most of my dives with at least a little garbage in the pocket of my BCD, as do most my foreign divemaster and instructor compatriots. But don't worry, my face won't be the last thing you see as the anesthesiologist slowly puts you under at your next lobotomy. :)

The bottom line for me is that they are not fully trained in law enforcement or even dealing with members of the public.

Ermm..no they aren't. They are volunteers. If they were fully trained then they would be regular police officers.

Thailand certainly does tick all the recognised boxes for it to be a Third World Country.

Not run by military junta: Check

Freedom of the press: Check

Freedom of speech: Check (not counting les mageste)

Freedom of religion: Check

Obligatory free schooling K-12: Check

Access to modern, international level healthcare: Check

Modern, largely unrestricted communication/internet: Check

BMW dealerships: Check

Air-Conditioned Digitial THX with surround sound 3D movie threatres: Check.

Mountain Dew (Perhaps the most important): Check

All this talk of the Soviet era is pointless. The term is used in this thread to describe the economic and social conditions of a country and the liberties afforded it's people.

500 accidents average a day only in Phuket. Simply to few Volunteers to cover them.

Watch for the green Ninja. I have stopped at quite a few.

[/b]We were watching at the police roadblock on last Monday night on Siriraj RD...We were actually upstairs in a guesthouse videoing the goings on. Remember the Thai guy comming from the south,without a helmet..YES?? sees the cops and does a quick U-turn and heads back to the south again..yes? NEXT THING A FARANG WEARING THE "G....... RIDER" PATCH ON A KAWASAKI TAKES OFF LIKE A MANIAC IN PERSUIT AND GET THIS....THIS PRETENDER HAS A SIREN AND FLASHING LIGHTS GOING OFF!!!! FAR FROM LEGAL HUH! Anyway im telling the thai guys i'm with "i'll post this on youtube [both the club and the police will enjoy that, but i think simons advice to report this is going to have more effect in removing this guy as he is obviously "one of the bad eggs!!" Come April "solly we not want you play police more"

Please post your video or PM me with a link. I am interested to see it. The only GR member I know of that has lights on his bike is a Thai guy. Maybe that has changed. Sounds like he was working under the authority of the RTP so "reporting it" won't probably achieve much. I know a farang guy in Samui that is a volunteer, for what branch I forget, but his Honda Goldwing has more lights in it than a Christmas Tree.

A lot of people question the motives of anyone interested in volunteering with police here in Thailand. Yes, there are some people that do it because they want to be able to ride a bike with no plate, ride without a helmet or whatever. A guy in Rawaii has fashioned a nice illegal sidecar for his wife with "Highway Police" stickers all over it. <_< Whatever. A mate of mine did it because he is trying to get his permanent residency. Those that volunteer just for the benefits are getting reported and weeded out. I get accused of doing it just to avoid traffic fines. Well in 10 years I have never seem to get stopped and fined for anything so that's not an issue for me. And if I was to get pulled over, it's 200B or whatever. Big deal. The real thing I worry about when riding all over Thailand as I do is getting pulled up and done for some BS imaginary fine, or getting treated unfairly at an accident scene, whether I am involved in the accident or have stopped to assist, as I have done countless times. Before the HP volunteer thing, I couldn't get involved because there is no "good samaritan" law in Thailand. Once I saw a drink driver run over a young Thai girl in Karon. Another time I stopped when a young Thai man was giving his girl a good whooping down a side road in Chalong. Thai's traditionally won't get involved in others affairs. I, traditionally, do. As an EMT and ex-cop it is simply not in my wiring to ignore someone in need of help. The HP volunteer not only gives me some insulation from the inevitable retribution, but also gives my reports to the police a little more weight and urgency. My reasons have been written off as a 'smokesceen' which is fine. You can "buy it" or not, makes no difference to me. :)

When did I say it was a first world country, and when does not being a first world country automatically make you a third world country.

What you have done, is exactly what every body else does when discussing words. You go straight back to their origonal meaning (which most people obtain from Wikipedia)

When the term was coined by some french bloke in the 1950's it was conected to the cold war and communism.. For you to quote that, and assume it still means the same today is a bit stupid to say the least.

Words evolve every day, the term third world does not mean the same as it did 50 years ago. After the term was used, several countries decided to call themselves third world thinking it would help their cause. So that's the word evolving right there.

Today, to be honest, neither you or I am right, because the word is very subjective. It is not a term recognised by everybody. Some people would have Thailand as part of the 'Tiger economies' of SEA, and some like yourself, are happy to think of it as third world. The truth is there is no right or wrong answer.

With so many different types of countries with different economies and issues, it is impossible to accurately put them under one umbrella. With countries like Somalia, Sierra Leone, and Zimbabwe in the world, it seems a bit missleading to me, to call Thailand third world.

P.S On a list of GDP's of 182 countries, the IMF has Thailand at number 24, above Belgium, Sweden, Austria, Norway, Portugal, etc etc. Now I know the GDP of a country doesn't tell the whole story, but if you interpret that, in a way that puts Thailand under the same umbrella as countries like Chad and Afganistan, then more fool you.

Anyway, off topic so I'll leave it there.

One should also be aware of the criminal aspect of attacking a Police Volunteer, or resisting arrest by a Police Volunteer. Police Volunteers can be identified by its badge, Police ID card, uniform or marked vehicle. The vehicle marking can be small like stickers in windshield and/or on reg plate.

If you dislike a Police Volunteers (or any Police) actions, make a report to his/her superiors rather than trying to sort it yourself

Good point. That is one other distinction relevant to the OP's question. There are usually laws enhancing the punishment for crimes committed against a government employees while executing official duties. I would assume Thailand has those, but not sure.

Why would the farang (I presume you mean anybody who does not speak Thai) be completely baffled? You simply do the same as you do (nearly) anywhere in the world: call your insurance guy and call the police.

People involved in accident nearly always think to know who's fault it is legally, but quite often they're wrong. So you do the same as anywhere, whether you speak the language yes or no: don't admit fault and get people who deal with this every day to help you.

You have drawn your own false conclusions, but thats your problem. Any payed Thai Police offiser can instruct me to do what is needed at any point, without being present. Did you miss that part? As for the BBQ, I have already recieved unlimited instructions, but I am quiet sure my or Chalong Police actions will not be needed.:D

Would you do anything you were instructed to do, such as acting as an agent provocateur?

U

Not too sure what the current volunteer organisations are. Bear in mind that the volunteers who work for Thai immigration and from Kathu police station do not fall under the responsibility of the Thai Tourist Police.

My personal view? Too many splinter groups, no common standard applied nationally to all volunteers, too much 'my pet police team' for local police bosses, too little volunteer continuous assessment/monitoring, too little relevant and ongoing training, too few Thai speakers - too little commitment by Thai authorities to invest in and support a professional team of foreign volunteers - and so on and so on...

I am maybe one of the very few who held a police volunteer visa, but it was a hassle to obtain

Apart from that - it's all fine :) Every Saturday night, I relished the opportunity to get my nose broken (or worse), as I tried to separate drunken tourists who were fighting...

There are some very dedicated and good people working as police volunteers. There are also some who should perhaps be wearing the handcuffs that they carry.

Simon

All of you saying that volunteers cops dont need a WP are wrong...You are in fact breaking the law whilst being the law enforcers!! Because. to make life easier it is not enforced,,this is also illegal!! How bl--dy ironic is that.

We were watching at the police roadblock on last Monday night on Siriraj RD...We were actually upstairs in a guesthouse videoing the goings on. Remember the Thai guy comming from the south,without a helmet..YES?? sees the cops and does a quick U-turn and heads back to the south again..yes? NEXT THING A FARANG WEARING THE "G....... RIDER" PATCH ON A KAWASAKI TAKES OFF LIKE A MANIAC IN PERSUIT AND GET THIS....THIS PRETENDER HAS A SIREN AND FLASHING LIGHTS GOING OFF!!!! FAR FROM LEGAL HUH! Anyway im telling the thai guys i'm with "i'll post this on youtube [both the club and the police will enjoy that, but i think simons advice to report this is going to have more effect in removing this guy as he is obviously "one of the bad eggs!!" Come April "solly we not want you play police more"

Talking about Ghost Riders MC? With all due respect, I think you are seriously mistaken. Not calling you a liar but we don't hang around on street corners and chasing fellow riders....Our activities are ride, ride and ride, no politics and similar bullshit let alone pretending to be Law Enforcement.

1st, we don't wear a patch but black long sleeve t-shirts with team logo at the back. There is only one rider who has a patch on the vest and that is me, and never use it anyway....I should know because I started this club and made those patches.

IMG00212-20100522-1.jpg

Yes, I am farang and ride Kawasaki but have no police lights or siren. There are multiple Kawasaki owners in our team, only one of them has a police lights but no siren and he is Thai, not farang. After all, I'm not even certified HPV even though there is a sticker on bike windshield, 1000's of other bikers have it too.

182631_128858153854053_100001896087194_190944_8183047_n.jpg

The only time our members helped as highway police volunteers was during Ghost Riders anniversary back in October 2010. None of them works with highway police at island roadblocks.

There were 3 Kawasaki's: Scubabuddha's green 650 R, Katabeachbum's white 650 R, Thai guy (Khun Chee) I mentioned above riding silver GTR 1400 and our Franko/Dutch member John with Harley Night Rod. That is it, nobody else is a certified volunteer except another Thai member (Khun Seree) riding grey BMW K1200S. Take a look at their pics bellow and let me know if it's one of them which I seriously doubt anyway.

Love to see that video, I would sure recognize the rider no matter what club or group he belongs to.

183885_128857083854160_100001896087194_190917_1222271_n.jpg

181748_128857540520781_100001896087194_190928_7492998_n.jpg

183447_128856300520905_100001896087194_190896_1166138_n.jpg

Edited by CroBiker

Yeah I'm scratching my head on this one too Crobiker. I think it is a case of mistaken identity. It certainly wasn't me or Katabeachbum, which is who brio1955 has narrowed it down to. In fact I don't know a single farang with police lights on their bike in Phuket, (Maybe Swedish Chalong BIB volunteer?) and Kbb doesn't even own a Ghostriders shirt.

Without the video it will remain a mystery.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I have been watching this post about volunteers with interest, all day. I now feel I need to comment.

First of all, a lot of comments are off post, Thailand as third world country is not relevant here.

Secondly, it is disappointing to see so many negative comments from posters. In my experience, these come from people who do not not know what they are talking about, or ex members who are disgruntled about the grounds on which their service was terminated. How many of these posters have actually taken the time to talk to a volunteer? I read posts like 'every volunteer I met'. Did you actually speak to anyone? It is very easy to cast dispersions, like 'w*anker'. Do you think you could you handle the job?

Now, some comments made are not specific to regions. My post is only in regard to Phuket Tourist Police Volunteers, which are broken down into 2 groups, Thai and foreign. I am only referring to the foreign element. This is my insight as to some of the activities the volunteers do.

The potential volunteers complete an application form and are interviewed. If they are successful, there details are vetted, with the sources available to the regular Thai Tourist Police Officers, this includes but is not restricted to contact with the relevant embassy. If this stage is successful, the volunteers is given a handbook and put on probation, to work with more experienced volunteers. Volunteers on duty only wear white polo shirts, the black shirts were seen as para-military and unfriendly. The shirts have 'Tourist Police Volunteer' in large letters on the volunteers badges on each arm and on their cap. The same is true for the Immigration Police Volunteers. Please do not confuse Tourist Police Volunteers with other 'police' organisations who wear white shirts and 'patrol' Bangla Road of an evening. This group has no part of their uniform to indicate they are a volunteer.

The volunteers training is ongoing as well as learning 'on the job' , they meet every month, when they receive training in subjects such as first aid, fire fighting and radio procedures. They also receive training in self defense, a volunteers is not allowed to carry items such as a baton, pepper spray or handcuffs, until they have been trained to use them. NO volunteer is allowed to carry any form of taser. A volunteer has no powers of 'arrest', however, he can temporarily 'detain' someone if they are deemed a threat to others or themselves.

The Tourist Police Volunteers patrol Bangla Road most evenings between 21:00 and 23:59, where they are happy to mix with the community giving advice and directions. The volunteers operate at an office on the Beach Road, next to the Immigration Office, have personnel at Phuket Airport, Patong Hospital and Tourist Police Headquarters in Phuket Town. It is hoped to expand to Chalong and Rawai in the near future. The Swedish man referred to at Chalong is not a part of this organisation.

Volunteers come from a multitude of countries and speak many languages, the benefits of which, to tourists are unlimited and are usually greatly appreciated.

The volunteers have their own website; http://www.phuket-tourist-police-volunteers.com/news20070330.html please have a look. We are always on the look out for good reliable people, with the right motivation. Some of the negative posters here need not apply, if they understand it.

Thank you for reading my post, I hope it gives you a bit more of an understanding as to what we do and how we do it. I could go on more, but you could lose interest and, as I am only human, I fancy a beer (I am not on duty). I realise writing something this long may have opened a can of worms, and will attract some attention. I do not have a problem with this, I just ask that you try to be constructive. Calling someone you have never 'met' or spoken to, a 'w*nker', is not constructive.

• Like 1