Volunteer Farang Police

ukfriend

I have been watching this post about volunteers with interest, all day. I now feel I need to comment.

First of all, a lot of comments are off post, Thailand as third world country is not relevant here.

Secondly, it is disappointing to see so many negative comments from posters. In my experience, these come from people who do not not know what they are talking about, or ex members who are disgruntled about the grounds on which their service was terminated. How many of these posters have actually taken the time to talk to a volunteer? I read posts like 'every volunteer I met'. Did you actually speak to anyone? It is very easy to cast dispersions, like 'w*anker'. Do you think you could you handle the job?

Now, some comments made are not specific to regions. My post is only in regard to Phuket Tourist Police Volunteers, which are broken down into 2 groups, Thai and foreign. I am only referring to the foreign element. This is my insight as to some of the activities the volunteers do.

The potential volunteers complete an application form and are interviewed. If they are successful, there details are vetted, with the sources available to the regular Thai Tourist Police Officers, this includes but is not restricted to contact with the relevant embassy. If this stage is successful, the volunteers is given a handbook and put on probation, to work with more experienced volunteers. Volunteers on duty only wear white polo shirts, the black shirts were seen as para-military and unfriendly. The shirts have 'Tourist Police Volunteer' in large letters on the volunteers badges on each arm and on their cap. The same is true for the Immigration Police Volunteers. Please do not confuse Tourist Police Volunteers with other 'police' organisations who wear white shirts and 'patrol' Bangla Road of an evening. This group has no part of their uniform to indicate they are a volunteer.

The volunteers training is ongoing as well as learning 'on the job' , they meet every month, when they receive training in subjects such as first aid, fire fighting and radio procedures. They also receive training in self defense, a volunteers is not allowed to carry items such as a baton, pepper spray or handcuffs, until they have been trained to use them. NO volunteer is allowed to carry any form of taser. A volunteer has no powers of 'arrest', however, he can temporarily 'detain' someone if they are deemed a threat to others or themselves.

The Tourist Police Volunteers patrol Bangla Road most evenings between 21:00 and 23:59, where they are happy to mix with the community giving advice and directions. The volunteers operate at an office on the Beach Road, next to the Immigration Office, have personnel at Phuket Airport, Patong Hospital and Tourist Police Headquarters in Phuket Town. It is hoped to expand to Chalong and Rawai in the near future. The Swedish man referred to at Chalong is not a part of this organisation.

Volunteers come from a multitude of countries and speak many languages, the benefits of which, to tourists are unlimited and are usually greatly appreciated.

The volunteers have their own website; http://www.phuket-to...ws20070330.html please have a look. We are always on the look out for good reliable people, with the right motivation. Some of the negative posters here need not apply, if they understand it.

Thank you for reading my post, I hope it gives you a bit more of an understanding as to what we do and how we do it. I could go on more, but you could lose interest and, as I am only human, I fancy a beer (I am not on duty). I realise writing something this long may have opened a can of worms, and will attract some attention. I do not have a problem with this, I just ask that you try to be constructive. Calling someone you have never 'met' or spoken to, a 'w*nker', is not constructive.

Thank you so much for writing that, My confidence in the tourist police has certainly been elevated. You seem like a good man. I am glad you wear white shirts now, the black ones looked too bad-ass. I have heard if someone kicks you in the nuts they must pay a 500 baht fine. Is that true?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been watching this post about volunteers with interest, all day. I now feel I need to comment.

First of all, a lot of comments are off post, Thailand as third world country is not relevant here.

Secondly, it is disappointing to see so many negative comments from posters. In my experience, these come from people who do not not know what they are talking about, or ex members who are disgruntled about the grounds on which their service was terminated. How many of these posters have actually taken the time to talk to a volunteer? I read posts like 'every volunteer I met'. Did you actually speak to anyone? It is very easy to cast dispersions, like 'w*anker'. Do you think you could you handle the job?

Now, some comments made are not specific to regions. My post is only in regard to Phuket Tourist Police Volunteers, which are broken down into 2 groups, Thai and foreign. I am only referring to the foreign element. This is my insight as to some of the activities the volunteers do.

The potential volunteers complete an application form and are interviewed. If they are successful, there details are vetted, with the sources available to the regular Thai Tourist Police Officers, this includes but is not restricted to contact with the relevant embassy. If this stage is successful, the volunteers is given a handbook and put on probation, to work with more experienced volunteers. Volunteers on duty only wear white polo shirts, the black shirts were seen as para-military and unfriendly. The shirts have 'Tourist Police Volunteer' in large letters on the volunteers badges on each arm and on their cap. The same is true for the Immigration Police Volunteers. Please do not confuse Tourist Police Volunteers with other 'police' organisations who wear white shirts and 'patrol' Bangla Road of an evening. This group has no part of their uniform to indicate they are a volunteer.

The volunteers training is ongoing as well as learning 'on the job' , they meet every month, when they receive training in subjects such as first aid, fire fighting and radio procedures. They also receive training in self defense, a volunteers is not allowed to carry items such as a baton, pepper spray or handcuffs, until they have been trained to use them. NO volunteer is allowed to carry any form of taser. A volunteer has no powers of 'arrest', however, he can temporarily 'detain' someone if they are deemed a threat to others or themselves.

The Tourist Police Volunteers patrol Bangla Road most evenings between 21:00 and 23:59, where they are happy to mix with the community giving advice and directions. The volunteers operate at an office on the Beach Road, next to the Immigration Office, have personnel at Phuket Airport, Patong Hospital and Tourist Police Headquarters in Phuket Town. It is hoped to expand to Chalong and Rawai in the near future. The Swedish man referred to at Chalong is not a part of this organisation.

Volunteers come from a multitude of countries and speak many languages, the benefits of which, to tourists are unlimited and are usually greatly appreciated.

The volunteers have their own website; http://www.phuket-to...ws20070330.html please have a look. We are always on the look out for good reliable people, with the right motivation. Some of the negative posters here need not apply, if they understand it.

Thank you for reading my post, I hope it gives you a bit more of an understanding as to what we do and how we do it. I could go on more, but you could lose interest and, as I am only human, I fancy a beer (I am not on duty). I realise writing something this long may have opened a can of worms, and will attract some attention. I do not have a problem with this, I just ask that you try to be constructive. Calling someone you have never 'met' or spoken to, a 'w*nker', is not constructive.

Things have certainly changed for the better, when i was a member the head of the volunteers insisted you carry handcuffs, baton and pepper spray

It seemed a real joke to me as i had no intention of using them.

Talking about Ghost Riders MC? With all due respect, I think you are seriously mistaken. Not calling you a liar but we don't hang around on street corners and chasing fellow riders....Our activities are ride, ride and ride, no politics and similar bullshit let alone pretending to be Law Enforcement.

1st, we don't wear a patch but black long sleeve t-shirts with team logo at the back. There is only one rider who has a patch on the vest and that is me, and never use it anyway....I should know because I started this club and made those patches.

IMG00212-20100522-1.jpg

Yes, I am farang and ride Kawasaki but have no police lights or siren. There are multiple Kawasaki owners in our team, only one of them has a police lights but no siren and he is Thai, not farang. After all, I'm not even certified HPV even though there is a sticker on bike windshield, 1000's of other bikers have it too.

182631_128858153854053_100001896087194_190944_8183047_n.jpg

The only time our members helped as highway police volunteers was during Ghost Riders anniversary back in October 2010. None of them works with highway police at island roadblocks.

There were 3 Kawasaki's: Scubabuddha's green 650 R, Katabeachbum's white 650 R, Thai guy (Khun Chee) I mentioned above riding silver GTR 1400 and our Franko/Dutch member John with Harley Night Rod. That is it, nobody else is a certified volunteer except another Thai member (Khun Seree) riding grey BMW K1200S. Take a look at their pics bellow and let me know if it's one of them which I seriously doubt anyway.

Love to see that video, I would sure recognize the rider no matter what club or group he belongs to.

183885_128857083854160_100001896087194_190917_1222271_n.jpg

181748_128857540520781_100001896087194_190928_7492998_n.jpg

183447_128856300520905_100001896087194_190896_1166138_n.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics.

Now i can identify these loons and keep driving when i hit their checkpoint.

Have you not been listening? We have no checkpoints. Whoever brio1955 saw was not a farang Highway Police Volunteer nor a member of Ghostriders. AFAIAC, until this alleged video is provided to prove otherwise, it didn't happen.

Have you not been listening? We have no checkpoints. Whoever brio1955 saw was not a farang Highway Police Volunteer nor a member of Ghostriders. AFAIAC, until this alleged video is provided to prove otherwise, it didn't happen.

Yeah Scuba, nothing surprises me anymore on this forum full of old lonely grumpy folks with no life....this fella is either an idiot or someone who detest biking culture.

There is a hardly a topic on Thai Visa without sarcastic remarks and jealousy. I am a member of dozen various forums worldwide but Thai Visa has some of the most insecure members I ever seen.

Yeah Scuba, nothing surprises me anymore on this forum full of old lonely grumpy folks with no life....this fella is either an idiot or someone who detest biking culture.

There is a hardly a topic on Thai Visa without sarcastic remarks and jealousy. I am a member of dozen various forums worldwide but Thai Visa has some of the most insecure members I ever seen.

Seriously?

Jealous of a few bored expats with too much free time who ride around playing highway patrol or bike gang members?

I actually have real life responsibilities.

I have nothing against bikers and i'm probably half your age but just take a look at those two on the kawasaki's, those elbow and knee padsrolleyes.gif and the other guy taking it more seriously with his 'Police' badge hanging out around his neck and radio on the belt.laugh.gifReal professional unit.

I sure wouldn't stop if either of these two tried to pull me over.

Seriously?

Jealous of a few bored expats with too much free time who ride around playing highway patrol or bike gang members?

I actually have real life responsibilities.

I have nothing against bikers and i'm probably half your age but just take a look at those two on the kawasaki's, those elbow and knee padsrolleyes.gif and the other guy taking it more seriously with his 'Police' badge hanging out around his neck and radio on the belt.laugh.gifReal professional unit.

I sure wouldn't stop if either of these two tried to pull me over.

they look like the "no frills" outlaw motorcycle club. I wont be stopping either

I'm jealous.............. of that dude's Beemer! Nice bike! smile.gif