How Do We Stop An Outdoor Bar From Disturbing The Neighbors With Their Loud Music From 8:20Pm Til 11 Pm Every Night

nycboy57

Does anyone know or have some experience with a Bar that is situated close to Condos, playing loud music when they are an outdoor bar? Who does one complain to? Please if you don't know the law for sure, don't give me that I should not be living here, or it is so great that you did not buy here, or how stupid anyone could be to live close to bars but this bar is one soi away and it is loud, gets louder every day and no one seems to be willing to fight them since most of the co owners here don't live here and the renters are just short time people who are out partying but for someone like myself retired and just want some peace in my home, I would like to know how they can get away with this legally and if you do know who to contact to try and stop it, please let me know?

Thanks in advance. Sorry to be so touchy about those that respond in the same manner of putting down anyone who is not as smart and slick and cool as they are. At almost 65 years of age, I should have known better eh?

Cheers to the jai dee, and sadness to the put downers. Maybe one day it might happen to you and you just have a question and want compassion. Don't write me where this is or the name of the Condo or bar. I don't want any legal problems with them. I just want to stop it. Can you understand that?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does a bar that is outside have a right to disturb the people living there?

Because they pay/are the police?

Remember that Santika was only licensed to be a noodle shop. Why wasn't that being busted? It was. Until a highranking police officer was given a large amount of shares.

So you want a bar to jeopardise its business all because you want an early night.

Sorry mate but if 11 PM is too late for you, you should have found a retirement home. It IS NOT fair for you to dictate to everybody else what they do!

I would like to know how they can get away with this legally

Because it is perfectly within the law, that's how. You are not going to get your own way on this, and neither should you.

Go in as a customer, get your friends to go in as customers. Spend some $$$

When you are there - complain the music is too loud and that you can't hear your friends speak.

Rinse & repeat.

BTW - if it really is a lower Sukhumvit Soi like Soi 13, you really do have yourself to blame.

Not in this case. The bar has a right to do this because they are doing nothing wrong, regardless what the OP might think.

11 PM???? A lot of people are just getting warmed up at that time!

Like most asians the Thais are a very noisy lot. It may be genetic. I dont think that any Thai would take a complaint about noise seriously unless it extended well into the early hours so I doubt there's much hope complaining about 11pm. In fact even to me 11pm seems positively reasonable by Pattaya standards.

Double-glazing might be effective. I would put this into any condo that I refitted, without question. The cheap standard windows one sees in nearly all condos are useless against both noise and heat.

Sorry i don't know how to help you.

I am also sorry to read that someone is obviously very nervous of posting on this forum because of all the keyboard warriors jumping on their high horses without really offering any good advice.

I doubt you would have a case to bring, and it could get messy.

Plenty other places to live... Maybe new surroundings is what you need, a change is as good as a rest.

Not in this case. The bar has a right to do this because they are doing nothing wrong, regardless what the OP might think.

11 PM???? A lot of people are just getting warmed up at that time!

thats what i was thinking, try having a thai market open within 1 km of your house, there music blares out till 3am !

Hi nycboy57

My questions to you are:

Is the condo where you live run by a management company?

Is there any sort of residence association linked to your condo complex?

If yes, you could arrange an emergency meeting of residents and the directors of the management company to discuss this issue and decide on an appropriate action in order to make the bar owners cease and desist the nightly disturbances.

If not, then in Thailand it normally takes action by at least 10 different complainants to make the police take the situation seriously.

So perhaps a good idea to make enquiries with your neighbors and gather as much support as possible then make an official report to the police.

My guess is that this bar does not hold a drinks licence and is flaunting the law, but on your own I doubt if you have any chance of making a successful action against the bar owners.

In Chiang Rai a group of foreigners complained to the local police that he Karaoke bars (6 of them made of bamboo) were disturbing the estate residents with very loud music until 1-2am every night of the week. The bars are 200 mtrs from the estate but from the karaoke soi across to the estate there is only waste land and the noise traveled . The police acted on the complaints , the music was turned down to a reasonable level and all music stopped at the lawful time here of 1am.

Just state your case , be polite about it and who knows you maybe lucky .

I agree with another post about getting double glazing fitted to your Condo , you may thing it would be expensive to do but get a quote , you will be suprised how cheap it is to do .

Good Luck. :D

Please if you don't know the law for sure, don't give me that I should not be living here, or it is so great that you did not buy here,

I feel bad for you OP, even after your explicit request so many people feel the need to chime in with useless opinions.

Maybe somebody can actually provide the OP with a decibel limit that would be useful to him

Although 11pm isn't late by any standards the level of noise would be unacceptable in nations where consideration is the norm. You're problem is that Thailand isn't one of those country's. There is in reality probably nothing that you can do. If your lucky the bar will run it's natural course and disappear after a year or so.

Please if you don't know the law for sure, don't give me that I should not be living here, or it is so great that you did not buy here,

I feel bad for you OP, even after your explicit request so many people feel the need to chime in with useless opinions.

Maybe somebody can actually provide the OP with a decibel limit that would be useful to him

But this is an open forum.....so people are within their rights to post "useless opinions"

What use is providing him with a dB limit ?....its highly unliklely anybody with do anything about it anyway.

But this is an open forum.....so people are within their rights to post "useless opinions"

What use is providing him with a dB limit ?....its highly unliklely anybody with do anything about it anyway.

Sure, it's an open forum. But if a person posts about apples and everyone replies about oranges it really defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Whether or not the OP can enforce the law is not the subject of discussion in this thread as posted in the OP.

Your kidding right? You live on Sukhumvit soi 13 and your upset about the music at 11pm

Never, ever go to the Issan.

Issan..they start up and test there amplifiers at 4am ..and keep playing and testing for sometimes 3 days solid ..and who behold any one who try to tell them to turn it down a smidge rolleyes.gif

Sure, it's an open forum. But if a person posts about apples and everyone replies about oranges it really defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Whether or not the OP can enforce the law is not the subject of discussion in this thread as posted in the OP.

I might go to the local police station and report seeing a home made motorcycle and side car going the wrong way down my soi. I expect they will get straight on it. :D

It certainly is an open forum, thanks Southpeel. And I said my piece.

Should the OP really expect to get only the answers he wants, when many others don't agree.

The OP is being unreasonable. 11PM IS NOT late. Let's not forget here the OP isn't asking for quiet at 11 because he already has that. The OP is asking for it BEFORE 11, let's say an hour earlier. That's at 10 PM he is expecting a business to sacrifice trade just so get can get an early night. And on Soi 13, the OP is in the wrong place anyway, not the bar. There are plenty of quiet areas in Bangkok to live, but he chooses a noisy/busy area and then demands that everybody keeps it quiet just for him.

I might have been a little more sympathetic if it was not for his acrimonious and arrogant post as well. Where is he anyway, is his apartment under a bridge?

If you live in an urban environment you will get absolutely no traction on zoning issues, ie: bar in proximity to residential housing. If, as you state, the music concludes at 11pm most authorities would claim that is a reasonable hour to stop making a lot of noise. My guess is that your only possible complaint might be that the decibel level is too loud for the type of area you live in. Your burden will be to see if there is even a law in Thailand concerning decibel levels, to prove that the bar in question is in non-compliance with said law, and to find others like yourself who are greatly disturbed by this noise. Those others will be preferably Thai persons and preferably Thai persons with a close relative on the police force. Good Luck.

If you live in an urban environment you will get absolutely no traction on zoning issues, ie: bar in proximity to residential housing. If, as you state, the music concludes at 11pm most authorities would claim that is a reasonable hour to stop making a lot of noise. My guess is that your only possible complaint might be that the decibel level is too loud for the type of area you live in. Your burden will be to see if there is even a law in Thailand concerning decibel levels, to prove that the bar in question is in non-compliance with said law, and to find others like yourself who are greatly disturbed by this noise. Those others will be preferably Thai persons and preferably Thai persons with a close relative on the police force. Good Luck.

There are laws about decibel levels, and BMA can be contacted to do measurements.

Should the OP really expect to get only the answers he wants, when many others don't agree.

The OP is being unreasonable. 11PM IS NOT late. Let's not forget here the OP isn't asking for quiet at 11 because he already has that. The OP is asking for it BEFORE 11, let's say an hour earlier. That's at 10 PM he is expecting a business to sacrifice trade just so get can get an early night. And on Soi 13, the OP is in the wrong place anyway, not the bar. There are plenty of quiet areas in Bangkok to live, but he chooses a noisy/busy area and then demands that everybody keeps it quiet just for him.

I might have been a little more sympathetic if it was not for his acrimonious and arrogant post as well. Where is he anyway, is his apartment under a bridge?

Out interest I have just had a quick look at the link provided above to Pollution Control Department....their criteria...Max 115dB and over 24 hour period continuous not to exceed 70dB

To have a legitimate complaint under Thai standards, would need to prove either business concerned pumps out music over 115dB or alternatively been subjected to 70dB continuously for 24 hours......I am guessing neither is the case in terms of the bar concerned....:whistling:

...don't give me that I should not be living here, or it is so great that you did not buy here, or how stupid anyone could be to live close to bars but this bar is one soi away and it is loud, gets louder every day and no one seems to be willing to fight them since most of the co owners here don't live here and the renters are just short time people who are out partying but for someone like myself retired and just want some peace in my home

Sorry, I think you know the answer.

I think he has a right to be upset if the bar is a couple of Soi away and he can hear it, not matter what time of day it is. However, here in Thailand it is well within the norms to blast out sound until well past 11pm. As others said he is lucky that it stops at that time. The only option really is to move, but maybe that's not so easy for the OP.

Out interest I have just had a quick look at the link provided above to Pollution Control Department....their criteria...Max 115dB and over 24 hour period continuous not to exceed 70dB

To have a legitimate complaint under Thai standards, would need to prove either business concerned pumps out music over 115dB or alternatively been subjected to 70dB continuously for 24 hours......I am guessing neither is the case in terms of the bar concerned....:whistling:

Is that correct, 115dB? Jeez, from my college days I know that is getting close to the threshold of pain.