Us Ambassador Kristie Kenney Meets Bangkok Airport Glitch

george

US Ambassador Meets Airport Glitch

US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney was stopped at Suvarnabhumi airport on her way back into the country from Singapore, she tweeted yesterday.

Ms Kenney, who was attending the US-Asia Pacific Regional Business Summit, said immigration officers stopped her as they were confused about how many days she was allowed to stay.

"My diplomatic visa confused new immigration officers. Long wait to try to explain why I could not say how many days I would stay in Thailand," she said on her Twitter site.

-- Bangkok Post 2011-03-06

http://twitter.com/kristiekenney

My dip visa confused new immigration officer. Long wait to try to explain why I could not say how many days I would stay in Thailand :))

Jokes aside, it could actually be a good sign that Immigration has done what they've promised lately, and that was to bring/transfer additional offiers to bolster staffing at Suvarnabhumi....

Note the ambassador said "NEW" officer... Probably got one who'd just been transferred in from Mae Sot and wasn't accustomed to getting U.S. diplomatic credentials... :rolleyes:

Jokes aside, it could actually be a good sign that Immigration has done what they've promised lately, and that was to bring/transfer additional offiers to bolster staffing at Suvarnabhumi....

Note the ambassador said "NEW" officer... Probably got one who'd just been transferred in from Mae Sot and wasn't accustomed to getting U.S. diplomatic credentials... :rolleyes:

Over staffed super HUB of asia. Maybe the officer was confused -he/she thought she worked for a HOTEL......could well be that the usual oficers were duty free shopping at King Power. OR behind a screen(unseen) laughing at the queues growing at immigration desks.

<br />Maybe it was pay back time from an Immigration Officer who had just been refused a visa to visit the US.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Well if that were ther case He would certainly have a mountain of evidence on his side if it was ever to be tried in a court.LOL

Seriously the states are extremely paranoid.

Yes..How very DIPLOMATIC of her..... :whistling:

<br />Maybe it was pay back time from an Immigration Officer who had just been refused a visa to visit the US.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Well if that were ther case He would certainly have a mountain of evidence on his side if it was ever to be tried in a court.LOL

Of an Immi officer??? It ain't paranoia if they're out to get ya... Anyway consider the origination......Without getting too descriptive there could be other mitigating factors yes??

Edited by WarpSpeed

LOL.... those immigration officials... :lol:

Always trying to pull a practical joke on some unsuspecting person.

What a bunch of cut-ups with a great sense of humor those guys are... :D

Actually I feel sorry for the Immigration Officer. That snooty ambassador caused a loss of face. Lucky the ambassador wasn't slapped? :cheesy:

<br /><br /><br />

Of an Immi officer??? It ain't paranoia if they're out to get ya... Anyway consider the origination......Without getting too descriptive there could be other mitigating factors yes??

No

Have you looked into trying to take a Thai to the states. I have. It can be done but the bar is high.

I heard of one Lady from Lao who got her visa here before going and when she got there she was turned back.

I am a US citizen who chooses to live here rather than there or in Canada where I have immigration status. In the states the paranoia is high but it is covered up with a superiority complex. Most of the Americans are completely clue less as to the rest of the world. Every thing is wrong and they are always rite.:(

Don't get me wrong. I visit every year brothers and sisters in the states. Canada ex wife and kids. But the restrictions on living in the land of the free are to high. I like to live here in Thailand where people are free to enjoy life. They are not afraid of it.

The tens of thousands of travelers who went there on visitor/tourist visas and then subsequently overstayed is at the root cause of strict selectivity for granting of these visas. It's not paranoia.

maybe its PR to support the NEW immigration officers.

Actually doesnt make sense to me as Diplomats have their own channel at immigration!!

Or maybe they wanted to make sure the Embassy had the financial wherewithall to pay her overstay fine if she had to pay it - since she couldnt work out how many days she could stay in LOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and shes the Ambo!!!!):hit-the-fan:

No

Have you looked into trying to take a Thai to the states. I have. It can be done but the bar is high.

I heard of one Lady from Lao who got her visa here before going and when she got there she was turned back.

I am a US citizen who chooses to live here rather than there or in Canada where I have immigration status. In the states the paranoia is high but it is covered up with a superiority complex. Most of the Americans are completely clue less as to the rest of the world. Every thing is wrong and they are always rite.:(

Don't get me wrong. I visit every year brothers and sisters in the states. Canada ex wife and kids. But the restrictions on living in the land of the free are to high. I like to live here in Thailand where people are free to enjoy life. They are not afraid of it.

The tens of thousands of travelers who went there on visitor/tourist visas and then subsequently overstayed is at the root cause of strict selectivity for granting of these visas. It's not paranoia.

It's not only the those that overstay, but also people that falsify information on their visa applications. I know of one Thai woman who has paid individuals to sponsor her relatives with K1 (Fiance/Fiancee) visas. Her success has emboldened her to find even more sponsors for more of her relatives. She even had the audacity to ask her sister's ex-husband to return the money after her sister was naturalized and subsequently divorced.

Sooner or later she will get busted by immigration for arranging these sham marriages.

Well, they didn't ask her to bring in proof like an electric bill to show she lives there..... Whatever the hassle, it has to be better than trying to deal with American immigration.

From reputation the gloves are on with U.S immigration as oppose to off. :ph34r:

'Hawaiian' timestamp='1299396128' post='4262044']

No

It's not only the those that overstay, but also people that falsify information on their visa applications. I know of one Thai woman who has paid individuals to sponsor her relatives with K1 (Fiance/Fiancee) visas. Her success has emboldened her to find even more sponsors for more of her relatives. She even had the audacity to ask her sister's ex-husband to return the money after her sister was naturalized and subsequently divorced.

Sooner or later she will get busted by immigration for arranging these sham marriages.

[/quote

What are the restrictions you talk of for living in Canada ? Do you truly believe you have more freedom in Thailand ? Or were you talking about freedom from taxes and the ability to break the law as you seem fit ? At least citizens are aware of what the laws are , like them or not .

Anticipated reprisals for the coming wikileaks she'll be responsible of.

If you're not aware, the US ambassador to Thailand was "transferred" this winter due to leaked Wiki cables. Ambassador Kenney was previously stationed in the Philippines.

And for all the cynics, cranks and US bashers, please lighten up. I thought her Tweet was funny, and posted in a lighthearted manner.

And for all the cynics, cranks and US bashers, please lighten up. I thought her Tweet was funny, and posted in a lighthearted manner.

I also thought it funny and somewhat refreshing, and judging by the responses on this forum, so did the most of the posters.