From Uk - Muay Thai - One Year Visa

Hi,

I asked elsewhere and it was suggested I ask on here as apparently there are some very knowledgeable people about... so here goes...

I want to travel around Thailand for about 12 months, maybe longer. During this time, I want to train muay thai at a number of different gyms but I don't plan to train 12 months non-stop, I would like to have a break for a couple of weeks every now and then between camps, and maybe even spend the last 3 months or so just on holiday.

The problem I seem to be having is a gym will offer me an invitation to apply for an ED visa but only for the time I promise to stay at their gym. I don't want to be tied down to a gym I've never even visited for 6 months if I end up not enjoying my time there. I'm also not sure I can get an ED visa based on, say, 3 or 4 separate invitiations from different gyms. Again, I wouldn't particularly want to commit to this anyway as I don't know when I will want to pack up to another gym.

Does anyone have any advice? Are there any gyms out there which would offer me a 12 month visa even if I only stay for a few months before moving to another gym?

If not, I have read about the 12 month non-immigrant O visa. This sounds promising but is it likely to be approved based on my reason for travel being 'muay thai training'

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any help

Edited by randymarsh

Apply for at triple entry Tourist Visa, each stay good for 60 days, and each stay can be extended for 30 days for 1900 Baht. If not a long enough stay then, apply for another Tourist Visa at a neighboring country. Also, you could try to apply for a one year Non-Immigrant "O" Visa at the Hull Consulate.

Edited by beechguy

Thanks. I'm going to try the O first and see what happens. Will I need a letter of invitation to apply for an O? I guess I have to put muay thai as reason for visit?

How long before I travel do I need to get the visa? I don't want to apply too soon and for it to be invalid by the time I get to Thailand (if that is a possibility).

Also, if the O doesn't work out, is it possible to get back to back triple entry tourist visas as I don't expect one will be enough.

Edited by randymarsh

Thanks. I'm going to try the O first and see what happens. Will I need a letter of invitation to apply for an O? I guess I have to put muay thai as reason for visit?

How long before I travel do I need to get the visa? I don't want to apply too soon and for it to be invalid by the time I get to Thailand (if that is a possibility).

Also, if the O doesn't work out, is it possible to get back to back triple entry tourist visas as I don't expect one will be enough.

A triple entry will give you a potential 9 months, 60 day + 30 extention x 3 = 9 months. ! yr O would be better for a full year, then you can relax knowing you got it covered,Hull judging by all reports are easy to deal with, why not give them a ring and talk it through. Dependant on where you live you also have Cardiff and Birrnigham as choices.

Edited by CharlieH

A non O visa is not likely to be approved, even by Hull - but perhaps if you have an invitation letter it may be worth the try. Tourist visas seem to fit if you can not stay at one gym longer as it does appear you will be a tourist. And for up to one year stay should not be much of a problem as even two double entry with extensions will almost cover that period and single and even double are normally available at bordering countries so that that expensive to get another.