Difference Between เคารพ And นับถือ

dvc

Would someone be kind enough to explain the difference between the two Thai words, เคารพ and นับถือ My understanding is that both can be translated as 'respect', but there's a difference of some sort that I'm unaware of.

My second question concerns the word, อภิรมย์ I can't find a definition for this word in any online dictionary.

Lastly, I'd like to know whether or not the following three phrases are correct, idiomatic Thai.

เคารพในความแตกต่าง (to respect diversity)

เป็นที่ยอมรับกันโดยทั่วกันว่า (it's generally accepted that…)

เดาเอาซิครับ OR ลองเดาดูซิ ('have a guess!' Which phrase is the more correct?)

Both verbs. เคารพ show respect; เคารพธงชาติ ; respect; เคารพสีทธิของคนอื่น นับถือ ; to have firm belief นับถือศาสนา; respect; admire.

Used to sign off a letter, ด้วยความนับถือ or ขอแสดงความนับถือ

อภิรมย์ or ภิรมย์ all definitions have ยิ่ง so they are 'very' glad, happy, delighted, etc. Also means to rest after work.

Can't comment on translations with no context.

ลองเดาดูซิ; have a guess. And I am guessing because I can understand that one, the other is more like asking to focus on guessing. When you put เอา after a verb is means determined to do that thing, the example in the RID is กินเอา ๆ

อภิรมย์ was in 4 of 5 online dictionaries I tried. These 2 links

have a definition in English, the other 2 were in Thai. The

Sanook link is a last resort for me because I suspect it has

frozen up my computer a couple times.

http://th.w3dictionary.org/index.php?q=อภิรมย์

http://guru.sanook.com/dictionary/%E1%BB%C5%C0%D2%C9%D2%E4%B7%C2-%CD%D1%A7%A1%C4%C9_%CD._%CA%CD_%E0%CA%B6%BA%D8%B5%C3/%A1/

Would someone be kind enough to explain the difference between the two Thai words, เคารพ and นับถือ My understanding is that both can be translated as 'respect', but there's a difference of some sort that I'm unaware of.

You might also want to check the differences of the definitions and example phrases of these expressions at:http://www.thai-language.com/dict

The detailed page for: เคารพ http://www.thai-language.com/id/140386

giving four senses: to respect; to esteem; to hold in high regard; to revere

The detailed page for: นับถือ http://www.thai-language.com/id/202178

giving four senses:to respect; to esteem; to revere; to reckon

Example: For professing Christianity you say:นับถือศาสนาคริสต์ and cannot exchange it with เคารพ

Example: For respecting adult people you say:เคารพผู้ใหญ่ or เคารพนับถือผู้ใหญ่ but you don´t say นับถือผู้ใหญ่

Example: For professing Christianity you say:นับถือศาสนาคริสต์ and cannot exchange it with เคารพ

Example: For respecting adult people you say:เคารพผู้ใหญ่ or เคารพนับถือผู้ใหญ่ but you don´t say นับถือผู้ใหญ่

I would agree with that but then the Lexitron example sentence for นับถือ is สุรีพรนับถืออาจารย์ของเขามาก

:unsure:

I would agree with that but then the Lexitron example sentence for นับถือ is สุรีพรนับถืออาจารย์ของเขามาก

When you ไหว้ someone you เคารพ because you นับถือ them.

Can you help me translate that sentence, please?

When you wai someone you ?_________? because you respect them.

'you are showing respect' which is what เคารพ means, I am sorry it isn't one word; Thai is a bugger!

Is the following translation makes sense?

When you wai someone you show that person your respect, because you hold that person in high esteem.:jap: