Nice Dog Chris But Not In The Restaurant Please

fishhooks

I'd be hard-pressed to wonder what Thais driving character has to do with an owners dog in a said restaurant.

Maybe common sense would be the answer.

Common. Would that be Thai common sense or Farang common sense?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Common. Would that be Thai common sense or Farang common sense?

If you read ThaiVisa regularly, you might well wonder if there is such a thing as 'farang common sense'.

Indeed, Birdy. The models of a standardization role are surely reflected in the instinctive promotion of comparatives and superlatives.

If I get a choice of table beside a dog or children then the dog will get me every time.

Dogs in restaurants are a no no. There is nothing worse than when you are settling down and enjoying a good meal, than to see a blood engorged grey tick slowly climbing up the wall.

I've never seen that but it's a nasty thought.

This thread needs a TV prize for the lowest percentage of on-topic posts.

Exactly slip,

Chris is a good man and does not need the disrespect that people are dishing out on here.

If you have nothing nice to say about the restuarant,dont say anything at all.

Sounds like a lot of farangs would like to be doing the same but are incapable..

Couple of years ago, we used to go to a jap resturant in Udon thani,, there was a nice dog wandering about in the resturant, when i used the toilet in the middle of the kitchen, [stand and deliver, no paper, no hand towels] and comming out of the toilet, saw a chef patting the dog and then continueing mixing the salad without washing his hands, i felt a bit sick, and left before the food was brought to our table, I will agree that we us westerners need to improve our imune system, but there are limits, I vote, no animals in resturants....

Edited by Lickey

It has already been mentioned. I much prefer a mangy dog or two than some spoiled children. I have to say that it has been my unfortunate experience to have seen many more spoiled children than well behaved children. I have also had chickens scratching around my table and it hasn't spoiled my meal. I guess I am not cultured enough to suit some people. I enjoy a roadside food stand much more than a fancy restaurant.

If I get a choice of table beside a dog or children then the dog will get me every time.

Dogs in restaurants are a no no. There is nothing worse than when you are settling down and enjoying a good meal, than to see a blood engorged grey tick slowly climbing up the wall.

The last time I checked seeing eye dogs were allowed in all restaurants in the US (by law).

Don't know about the rest of the world.

So your statement about dogs being a no no in restaurants is incorrect.

The last time I checked seeing eye dogs were allowed in all restaurants in the US (by law).

The exception proves the rule, Mark... though I'm on the side of the dogs myself!

The exception proves the rule, Mark... though I'm on the side of the dogs myself!

Once upon a time I ran a really fancy restaurant. A blind guy came in with his dog. I told him I would take him to his table and assist him in any way he desired but he insisted on bringing his dog. I refused and he called the cops. He was quite adamant about the issue. The cops came and I learned my lesson. I apologised to the blind man and promised all concerned I would never do it again. After that I got used to dogs in even a white table cloth hi so restaurant. No problems.

Once upon a time I ran a really fancy restaurant. A blind guy came in with his dog. I told him I would take him to his table and assist him in any way he desired but he insisted on bringing his dog. I refused and he called the cops. He was quite adamant about the issue. The cops came and I learned my lesson. I apologised to the blind man and promised all concerned I would never do it again. After that I got used to dogs in even a white table cloth hi so restaurant. No problems.

Actually, the initial theme and subsequent fodder for this thread has really nothing to do with dogs in restaurants....but instead the angst and disgust is directed towards the usual suspects of the Thai culture and their different practices. The dog aspect is just a guised conduit to drive a means to an end.

Actually, the initial theme and subsequent fodder for this thread has really nothing to do with dogs in restaurants....but instead the angst and disgust is directed towards the usual suspects of the Thai culture and their different practices. The dog aspect is just a guised conduit to drive a means to an end.

Ya, I know. Too bad. The place I stop for espresso daily (25 baht) has a resident pug dog. The dog is old as the hills. She comes and peacefully sniffs my shoes under the table and goes to sleep while I drink my coffee. I could go to Black Canyon and pay three times as much but I kind of like the dog and small businesses in general. The espresso has a bit too much Robusta for my taste but for 25 baht I can't complain.

Ya, I know. Too bad. The place I stop for espresso daily (25 baht) has a resident pug dog. The dog is old as the hills. She comes and peacefully sniffs my shoes under the table and goes to sleep while I drink my coffee. I could go to Black Canyon and pay three times as much but I kind of like the dog and small businesses in general. The espresso has a bit too much Robusta for my taste but for 25 baht I can't complain.

I think, Mark, you and I basically agree on this.

Zzaa, get the chip off your shoulder. And it's 'disguised', not 'guised'. (That's the chip on mine!)

Mark,

Respect.

From refusing a blind guys guide dog at a fancy restaurant that you ran to having a 25 baht coffee that they make stronger than you like, and respecting an old dog while you're not enjoying it (and will never tell them).

Well done mate. If you're farang you're having a good go at living Thailand. jap.gif

Guessing you don't live in Pattaya...( is that a flame or something?)