Hi All,

My question is on a similara vein but with a twist, I am a Thai Perm Resident, been here for 5 years, paying Thai taxes working for a multi-national. I am contimplating taking a 6 month assignment (contract) in Australia. I am curious about Tax situation in both places, will I be required to pay taxes in both Australia as well as Thailand? I assume there a few Austrailians here that may read this and will be able to share a bit on this one?

Any thoughts on this one would be most welcome.

Thank You

C

but I wouldn't be comfortable with a split contract if my income was earned 100% in Thailand.

Why ?

Because I'd be worried about getting caught, and I'm not as confident as some that it's more pleasant to be busted for tax fraud in Thailand than it is in my own country.

You are somehow basing it on the presumption that is illegal.

The rules are clear, for Thai tax residents, non-Thai sourced income which is not repatriated to Thailand in the year it is earned is not taxable.

If you have a regional facing role, then it is entirely legitimate to structure your finances in such a way.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

My question is on a similara vein but with a twist, I am a Thai Perm Resident, been here for 5 years, paying Thai taxes working for a multi-national. I am contimplating taking a 6 month assignment (contract) in Australia. I am curious about Tax situation in both places, will I be required to pay taxes in both Australia as well as Thailand? I assume there a few Austrailians here that may read this and will be able to share a bit on this one?

Thank You

C

Reciprical tax agreement in place between both countries, you WILL be paying tax in Aussie for the 6 months your there, if out of Thailand more than 180 days, you would not be required to pay tax in Thailand. So therefore if you pay your tax in Aussie you will have met your obligations in Thailand.

Who ever you are going to work for there will sort all this out for you, you may even get a refund from the Aussie tax man at the end of the financial year as you only worked 6 months.

You dont need any "financial advisors" to structure anything for you.

Hi All,

Thank You

C

Reciprical tax agreement in place between both countries, you WILL be paying tax in Aussie for the 6 months your there, if out of Thailand more than 180 days, you would not be required to pay tax in Thailand. So therefore if you pay your tax in Aussie you will have met your obligations in Thailand.

Who ever you are going to work for there will sort all this out for you, you may even get a refund from the Aussie tax man at the end of the financial year as you only worked 6 months.

You dont need any "financial advisors" to structure anything for you.

Hmmm - I thought the idea was to mitigate tax - not to settle for losing it just once?