Thai Driving License (5-Year)

My current 5-year license expired on last October 2010. And I'm here in Thailand on a yearly visa extension.

As far as I'm aware of, the docs required for license renewal are:

- The expired driving licence

- Residency Certificate

- Medical certificate

- Photocopy of passport (bio-detail and permission of stay extension pages)

- 505 THB for application

- 100 THB for the licence

--

I'm looking for the latest/updated info on documents needed for renewval of the 5-year Thai driving license.

Is it a problem, five months since license expiration?

What should I do, what is the best place in Bangkok to go to?

My driver's license was 8 months expired and I went to the bureau in CM armed with the residency permit, doctors letter, photocopies of my passport, and old drivers license and I was given a new 5 year license without any questions. All of this took less than 5 minutes.

Different rules apply to different licencing offices - what is straightforward in one can be difficult, at best, in another.

Some don't need a doctor's certficate, some do (at the Rayong office a booth next to the insurance salesmen can gve you one for 100 baht!); at some you have to do the reaction and vision (colour, depth perception and peripheral vision) tests and watch the video, at others you don't; at some you can apply up to 3 months early but if you are over 3 months late you have to start from scratch, while at others you have to wait until after your licence expires and can be 6 months late.

It all depends on the office.

Different rules apply to different licencing offices - what is straightforward in one can be difficult, at best, in another.

Some don't need a doctor's certficate, some do (at the Rayong office a booth next to the insurance salesmen can gve you one for 100 baht!); at some you have to do the reaction and vision (colour, depth perception and peripheral vision) tests and watch the video, at others you don't; at some you can apply up to 3 months early but if you are over 3 months late you have to start from scratch, while at others you have to wait until after your licence expires and can be 6 months late.

It all depends on the office.

Which office do you recommend (preferably in greater Bangkok) with lesser hassle?

• 2 weeks later...

Renewal of 5-year Thai driving license

Field report

I went the other day to (I think it is called) Transport Office Area 3 in Prakhanong district in Bkk. I brought my expired 5-year license, Passport (photocopies of several pages) and residency certificate (from the Embassy). They didn't asked for a letter from doctor (even so, I had one that cost me 100 baht).

The whole process took about one and half hour or so. First, I submited my documents; then, the movie and the eye test (actually it was color test), and lastly, they took my photo, fee of 555 baht (if I recall correctly) and issued a new 5-year license. It is in a credit card format with the picture.

That's all.

I renewed mine last year in Saraburi, it had expired by more than one year. Because it was so out of date i had to do the theory test. 30 multi choice questions in one hour. They changed the language to English but still it was guess work understanding some of the questions. You need 23/30 to pass. I scored 26 in 20 minutes. The Thais with all their little practice books were really stressing out and took a real long time. As for paperwork, i needed the doctors certificate, work permit and passport as well as the expired license, (photocopies of each were needed too). The whole process, including test, took less than 1 hour.

My driver's license was 8 months expired and I went to the bureau in CM armed with the residency permit, doctors letter, photocopies of my passport, and old drivers license and I was given a new 5 year license without any questions. All of this took less than 5 minutes.

Much the same down here in Phetchabun, renewed mine in February 2010 and no tests etc.

I have mentioned this before, but on my 5 year licence on the back, you have your house address printed on it.

A stumbling block for many farangs at the DL centre here is the proof of address, either a certificate from Embassy, Immigration certificate or the much discussed 'yellow book' are acceptable.

Where I come from the word licence has two 'c's, I gather there are other folk who use an S, same too with defense, I guess, but do you sit on the fense?

10:00 AM, LEO time :ph34r:

Went 6 weeks early to Nontahburi, they need passport + copy of photo/detail page, Immigration certificate [it was a copy but no questions asked] doctors certificate they handed back 'no need it' my old 5yr licences.

Took the eye test + reaction test, then 1 hr movie, only I arrived 30 mins before closing so was in that room just 6 mins. She called me out. handed me papers and a number, which was called before even sitting down, here I paid the fee + had my photo taken on a web cam, and out or a machine popped the new 5 yr licence.

It is x2 if you also have a motorbike licence, but all done at the same time.

Most DLT requires certificate of residence at each DL renewal

All DLT requires it on vehicle reg

can be replaced by yellow house book

Still does not answer if residence certificate from Immigration is acceptable or is the one from your Embassy or Consulate required for Drivers License renewal ?

BTW, why use the abbreviation DLT ?

my 1 year (first) license is due to expire in a couple months, I have since moved home to another district, am I required to return to the district office where my license was initially obtained to apply for the 5 year renewal, or can anyone basically turn up at any district office for renewal ?? or should I have submitted my license to update my new address before reapplying for the 5 year license ?

thanks.

my 1 year (first) license is due to expire in a couple months, I have since moved home to another district, am I required to return to the district office where my license was initially obtained to apply for the 5 year renewal, or can anyone basically turn up at any district office for renewal ?? or should I have submitted my license to update my new address before reapplying for the 5 year license ?

thanks.

Jonny, you should be able to go the the office in the district you currently live. I got my renewal in Saraburi. My first one was in a different province. The address i used was the one on my work permit which was Bangkok, they looked at my home address but automatically used the work one on the licence.

Hi Nidge, thanks for the info, that will save me quite a travel..

many thanks

thanks.

Jonny, you should be able to go the the office in the district you currently live. I got my renewal in Saraburi. My first one was in a different province. The address i used was the one on my work permit which was Bangkok, they looked at my home address but automatically used the work one on the licence.

It doesn't matter what Transport Office you go to, and who's issued your Certificate of Residency (Embassy or Immigration). You will be charged 50 baht more if you change your address.

In my old Driving License it was 123/14 Abcd... and in the Certificate of Residency it was 123/14-15 Abcd...

It was enough to charge me 50 baht more. And I did not bargain! Just said thank you.

Now, it is indeed a simple foolproof process (until you need to renew your license again).

Edited by Condo_bk