Plan To Build Second Samui Airport Pushed

Is it time for the municipality to consider another airport on the island? The Samui airport, owned and operated by Bangkok Airways, has been the subject of criticisms lately for its alleged excessive landing and other fees charged on other airlines using the airport.

A Samui businessman, who frequents Bangkok, says Bangkok Airways’ one-way fare for the Bangkok-Samui route is too expensive.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, the businessman said the excessive airfare was turning away potential Samui visitors. He said a second airport could boost the island’s tourism. It would encourage more airlines to fly to the island, resulting in cheaper airfares.

http://news.samuiexpress.net/local-list/855-plan-to-build-second-samui-airport-pushed.html

Sadly for Samui, this is a non story..

There are no " Samui Businessmen ", especially anonymous one's, that have enough clout to actually do anythign even remotely like getting involved in the Building of a new Airport or compete with that dreadfully expensive little boutique Airline's, Crown Jewel..

There are no " Samui Businessmen ", especially anonymous one's, that have enough clout to actually do anythign even remotely like getting involved in the Building of a new Airport or compete with that dreadfully expensive little boutique Airline's, Crown Jewel..

it would be interesting to know after the cost of land, building the airport, what the actual profits might be ( basing the airport as non monopoly and allowing low cost airlines in )

on another note, AirAsia posted BIGGER profits then BKK air this year, as did the other lowcost airlines around the world, which goes to show the low cost model works buiness wise

it would be interesting to know after the cost of land, building the airport, what the actual profits might be ( basing the airport as non monopoly and allowing low cost airlines in )

on another note, AirAsia posted BIGGER profits then BKK air this year, as did the other lowcost airlines around the world, which goes to show the low cost model works buiness wise

Just a thought, where would you put a new airport that could handle large aircraft??

Many surveys have been done, possible areas have dangerous sheer winds due to near by hills and cliffs.

Possibility, one in the sea in the area near Tong-Krut.

No one will want it near them as usual, in my over 10 years on Samui this has been brought up many times.

No one wants to pay, no one wants it near them.

But it is always an interesting topic.

One more thought.

I just flew in from Bangkok yesterday, in the lounge I ask many travelers to Samui (tourists)

none knew the cost of the flight to Samui, it is in the cost of the ticket.

I can not see how the cost influences tourists numbers to Samui!

That is a bit vage " there are no Samui businesmen" .

Even if there were no samui businessmen maybe th businessman was not from samui. Any way i was just wondering if companies could buy shares or space in a new airport.

Anyway that is the point. If there are no businessmen in samui then it might be becaue of Bangkok airways. No reaosn to invest loads of money when the potencial cusotmers can't affor to get hee.

I knew a businessman once. long time ago ....... He got shot soon after he was made but thats life. or death or both yingyang

That is a bit vage " there are no Samui businesmen" .

Even if there were no samui businessmen maybe th businessman was not from samui. Any way i was just wondering if companies could buy shares or space in a new airport.

Anyway that is the point. If there are no businessmen in samui then it might be becaue of Bangkok airways. No reaosn to invest loads of money when the potencial cusotmers can't affor to get hee.

I knew a businessman once. long time ago ....... He got shot soon after he was made but thats life. or death or both yingyang

1 ) It's not vague when you read the rest of what i wrote " especially anonymous one's, that have enough clout to actually do anythign even remotely like getting involved in the Building of a new Airport or compete with that dreadfully expensive little boutique Airline's, Crown Jewel..

2 ) If the Businessman was not from Samui, then the original News Article would be wrong, incorrect, which again would make it a non story.

Samui will continue to be in the doldrums until a larger runway/new airport is built to take charter flights with a larger capacity.In the meantime all those 4/5 resorts that have been built in the last 3 years(did anyone do due diligence) will continue to have low occupancy.........phuket is the model Samui should follow if it wants its share of the tourist dollar.

Samui will continue to be in the doldrums until a larger runway/new airport is built to take charter flights with a larger capacity.In the meantime all those 4/5 resorts that have been built in the last 3 years(did anyone do due diligence) will continue to have low occupancy.........phuket is the model Samui should follow if it wants its share of the tourist dollar.

samui will continue to be in the doldrums until Bangkok Airways has its monopoly taken away. That ofcourse won't happen so there you have it. Best everyone just accepts this as it won't change and Samui will always suffer and play second fiddle to Phuket and Pattaya because of Bangkok Airways.

One more thought.

I just flew in from Bangkok yesterday, in the lounge I ask many travelers to Samui (tourists)

This is an email I received from a Client recently on this subject - so yes it does have an effect on tourism

"November of last year during a softball tournament in BKK we decided to take a week and visit Samui or Phuket. Most of us chose Samui.[22 of us] However ,after checking flights we went to Phuket for 11 days.The reason,the flights were less than half the cost of going to Samui.I know 22 people for 11 days is not an economic boom but an indication of what flight cost can do. It has been reported that traffic at Phuket airport increased 35% last year."

One more thought.

This is an email I received from a Client recently on this subject - so yes it does have an effect on tourism

"November of last year during a softball tournament in BKK we decided to take a week and visit Samui or Phuket. Most of us chose Samui.[22 of us] However ,after checking flights we went to Phuket for 11 days.The reason,the flights were less than half the cost of going to Samui.I know 22 people for 11 days is not an economic boom but an indication of what flight cost can do. It has been reported that traffic at Phuket airport increased 35% last year."

Thats right . Phukets tourism is improving at Samui's expense. Everyone knows about the extortionate pricing of Samui flights but the TAT does nothing, says nothing. Why is that? Probably because they have been told not to involve themselves as BKK Airways is blatently being allowed to rip off Samui

It would be interesting to know where they would take all the electricity from for the new Airport and all the new Hotels.

Also what they intend to do with the waste water or garbage all these many new tourists would bring.

Or maybe they should finish the roads first .... but then again, who needs a proper road, all you need is a new airport

But it's probably just easier to demand a new Airport to generate more income [for few] and don't worry too much about the effects [for many] it would have.

I guess I am just missing the point on this one.whistling.gif

It would be interesting to know where they would take all the electricity from for the new Airport and all the new Hotels.

Also what they intend to do with the waste water or garbage all these many new tourists would bring.

Or maybe they should finish the roads first .... but then again, who needs a proper road, all you need is a new airport

But it's probably just easier to demand a new Airport to generate more income [for few] and don't worry too much about the effects [for many] it would have.

I guess I am just missing the point on this one.whistling.gif

Right on!

No one is mentioning the noise pollution of planes, either....:annoyed: I've had to pick up two lots of people at Samui airport in the last week & sure glad I don't have to listen to the noise of planes day in and day out...

I think this will be a case of not in my neighbourhood!

i think you will find the words "Crown Jewel" (read between the lines) has everything to do with this issue.

Long, long overdue.

Last January we (2) were quoted 10,000 baht each for a single fare to Bkk!! Unreal and absurd. And this was me trying to book 2 months ahead. Can't think why it could have been so expensive so far ahead. Ah, stupid me. Of course, that wonderful word ....monopoly!!!

I voted with my feet, as everyone here should if the fare is above say, 3,000 baht, and flew with Nok Air from the main land. No problem with the high speed ferry and a bus door to door. The cost was 1,600 each! Nice saving.

The solution lies with the mainland tbh Expand Surrat airport or build a new one closer to Donsak and purchase fast crossing passenger boats.

Good idea. Probably cheaper than building on Samui too, and the fast ferry is only 45 minutes. That is a small sacrifice to save yourself thousands.

i still like samui more than phuket probably because it is where i layed my hat. Though look at what has been brought up over the years then compare it to phuket then look at what an outside might think on paper anyway.

1) plans along time ago to build a second airport in lipa noi ( never happened )

2) a Dulich school ( never happened )

3) a marine park ( never happened )

4) advertisement for a water park to be open. Even had a poster for the opening date the same day as a mates birthday we were going to go down ( never happened ) all a big con. people think oh air port , oh school in lipa noi lets buy land and watch the value go up. Sorry but not happenned yet.

the water park was a joke it did actually open. Open for investors to come in and through money at it. obviuosly the investors were not convinced.

The electric office in Manam. Is that actually ever going to open or is it for show and has and is there a few more mercs on the island.

The rumers of David Beckom having a house out here. Svenor Ericson Justin Hanarn. What a load of crap. They were given houses to boost the land value. sorry salesman that make money out of tricking but sometimes u have to deliver on your promises or people get fustrated then just ignore u.

Then u compare it to phuket.

Govement airport number one attraction and international. Number one way to bring people is via an airport common sense.

nice clean roads for people to buy low cars and rive them without smashing the bottom up.

Massive maga shopping centers. Don't have to wait a month to order from bangkok.

wake boarding park.

many schools. nice english stule pubs.

marine park

skate board park

just more orginazed in gernal.

less power cuts.

more internet and stronger internet

It is up and coming and even the threat of a Tsunami is not putting people off.

In my opinom. I reckon the ferries should be 24 hours. so traffic can more freely go back and forth but i doubt that would change but is it very simple and actually would make money and would have to spend much extra maybe more staff but that is it.

i still like samui more than phuket probably because it is where i layed my hat. Though look at what has been brought up over the years then compare it to phuket then look at what an outside might think on paper anyway.

1) plans along time ago to build a second airport in lipa noi ( never happened )

2) a Dulich school ( never happened )

3) a marine park ( never happened )

4) advertisement for a water park to be open. Even had a poster for the opening date the same day as a mates birthday we were going to go down ( never happened ) all a big con. people think oh air port , oh school in lipa noi lets buy land and watch the value go up. Sorry but not happenned yet.

the water park was a joke it did actually open. Open for investors to come in and through money at it. obviuosly the investors were not convinced.

The electric office in Manam. Is that actually ever going to open or is it for show and has and is there a few more mercs on the island.

The rumers of David Beckom having a house out here. Svenor Ericson Justin Hanarn. What a load of crap. They were given houses to boost the land value. sorry salesman that make money out of tricking but sometimes u have to deliver on your promises or people get fustrated then just ignore u.

Then u compare it to phuket.

Govement airport number one attraction and international. Number one way to bring people is via an airport common sense.

nice clean roads for people to buy low cars and rive them without smashing the bottom up.

Massive maga shopping centers. Don't have to wait a month to order from bangkok.

wake boarding park.

many schools. nice english stule pubs.

marine park

skate board park

just more orginazed in gernal.

less power cuts.

more internet and stronger internet

It is up and coming and even the threat of a Tsunami is not putting people off.

In my opinom. I reckon the ferries should be 24 hours. so traffic can more freely go back and forth but i doubt that would change but is it very simple and actually would make money and would have to spend much extra maybe more staff but that is it.

Dont forget the second championship golf course being built at every housing development :whistling:

The solution lies with the mainland tbh Expand Surrat airport or build a new one closer to Donsak and purchase fast crossing passenger boats.

:blink: This topic has already been done to death and have to repeat ! FYI Surat Thani can take 747's and 20 years ago before BKK Airways opened, an Australian ferry builder proposed a transfer from Surat to Samui in one hour (45 knots). The Thais killed it with their ridiculous set of requirements; 1.Ticket price ruled by Thai Communications Authority, 2. Vessels must be Thai flagged, 3. Foreign ownership limited to 40%, 4. Route license to be granted by Thai Harbour Marine Dept. In reality this meant the Thai partner could screw the Aussies who were powerless to come and reclaim their vessels, never mind setting a fare satisfactory to market demand ! :blink: This same company has been operating successfully with Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia for 25 years now and guess why the Thais aren't ? Sub standard, under qualified Thai Govenment Ministers to blame YET AGAIN ! Crusty for mayor !!!

:blink: This topic has already been done to death and have to repeat ! FYI Surat Thani can take 747's and 20 years ago before BKK Airways opened, an Australian ferry builder proposed a transfer from Surat to Samui in one hour (45 knots). The Thais killed it with their ridiculous set of requirements; 1.Ticket price ruled by Thai Communications Authority, 2. Vessels must be Thai flagged, 3. Foreign ownership limited to 40%, 4. Route license to be granted by Thai Harbour Marine Dept. In reality this meant the Thai partner could screw the Aussies who were powerless to come and reclaim their vessels, never mind setting a fare satisfactory to market demand ! :blink: This same company has been operating successfully with Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia for 25 years now and guess why the Thais aren't ? Sub standard, under qualified Thai Govenment Ministers to blame YET AGAIN ! Crusty for mayor !!!

ok back to airports.

U fly from england if u r lucky u can fly direct to bangkok looking at about a 12 hour flight. then stop in bangkok. Maybe u had to change and wait 6 hours between getting to bangkok. then u have the option fly to phuket for the same price as to surat. or pay through the nose to fly to samui.

So to phuket about 2 k or cheaper. or simlat or cheaper to surat. or 5 times as much straight to samui.

u might be put of fly to samui through surat after a 12 hour flight. Then fly to surat then 2 hours in bus or taxi to ferry then 1h 30 mins. then rip of taxi to the expensive hotel.

or straight to Phuket taxi to hotel and money for a night out straight down the bar.

Or fly nearly 10 k per person to samui. Then to expensive hotel taxi through a bumpy road to get to your hotel and unless u r very wealth all u might have to stay in the first few nights to keep to your budget. there againn people who r rich go to phuket because there is more for the rich to do.

so yes Bangkok airways is robbing Samui of customers. I am in Phuket at the moment. i flew here yesterday. it is solid with tourists unlike samui.. something is not right!

If anyone would like to destroy Samui at a speed 10 times as it's done now....

.........build a 2nd airport <_<

It's a no-no discussion and surprising it keeps coming back.

LaoPo

ok back to airports.

U fly from england if u r lucky u can fly direct to bangkok looking at about a 12 hour flight. then stop in bangkok. Maybe u had to change and wait 6 hours between getting to bangkok. then u have the option fly to phuket for the same price as to surat. or pay through the nose to fly to samui.

So to phuket about 2 k or cheaper. or simlat or cheaper to surat. or 5 times as much straight to samui.

u might be put of fly to samui through surat after a 12 hour flight. Then fly to surat then 2 hours in bus or taxi to ferry then 1h 30 mins. then rip of taxi to the expensive hotel.

or straight to Phuket taxi to hotel and money for a night out straight down the bar.

Or fly nearly 10 k per person to samui. Then to expensive hotel taxi through a bumpy road to get to your hotel and unless u r very wealth all u might have to stay in the first few nights to keep to your budget. there againn people who r rich go to phuket because there is more for the rich to do.

so yes Bangkok airways is robbing Samui of customers. I am in Phuket at the moment. i flew here yesterday. it is solid with tourists unlike samui.. something is not right!

Big C,

People who fly directly to Samui from Europe, with a stop over in BKK don't pay the same price for a BKK Air ticket as a single ticket purchased from BKK Air costs.

I'm pretty sure a ticket Europe-BKK-Phuket is the same price as Europe-BKK-Samui.

ok back to airports.

Big C,

People who fly directly to Samui from Europe, with a stop over in BKK don't pay the same price for a BKK Air ticket as a single ticket purchased from BKK Air costs.

I'm pretty sure a ticket Europe-BKK-Phuket is the same price as Europe-BKK-Samui.

What I would like to see rather than a second airport is a vessel similar in size to the cross channel ferries back in the UK. Get on in BKK and sail either with your car or just as a foot passenger and get off here on Samui. You get to have a party on the way down and much safer than the buses used to get here. :D

The other way is to compulsory purchase the airport from BKK air and open up the market. Surely that would be far cheaper and do less damage to the island than building another airport.

What I would like to see rather than a second airport is a vessel similar in size to the cross channel ferries back in the UK. Get on in BKK and sail either with your car or just as a foot passenger and get off here on Samui. You get to have a party on the way down and much safer than the buses used to get here. :D

The other way is to compulsory purchase the airport from BKK air and open up the market. Surely that would be far cheaper and do less damage to the island than building another airport.

Either of these would be ideal scenarios, but unfortunately I fear that enough pockets are lined in order to make sure that either never happen. :ermm:

please explain why a 2nd airport will kill samui "10 times faster"?

I suppose he means, that by bringing in an unlimited number of tourists , might be as detrimental to the island. You can surely accomodate a larger number of tourists then what is currently arriving, but not to sure how the struggling infra structure will cope with an open ended arrival quota.

That would be an opinion all the businesses will back , then you will have people who are here for life style too & others concerned about over development.

It is a hard balancing act at best.