DSI Chief Fears Prolonged Red-Shirt Rally, Violence: Bangkok

webfact

DSI Chief Fears Prolonged Red-Shirt Rally, Violence

The chief of the Department of Special Investigation says the red-shirt rally planned for March 12 could be prone to violence if prolonged.

He is warning bailed red-shirt leaders against joining the rally, since they could be violating their bail conditions set by the court.

Department of Special Investigation Director-General Tharit Pengdit expressed concern that the mass rally planned by the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship this Saturday could be prolonged like last year, given various circumstances.

He said the protest will likely turn violent again if it is prolonged.

The DSI chief noted that he will petition the court to revoke bail for the seven released red-shirt leaders if they are found to have violated bail conditions, which include refraining from inciting unrest and making provocative speeches.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-03-10

footer_n.gif

Thaksin to talk via video-link during UDD’s rally on Saturday

BANGKOK, 10 March 2011 (NNT) – Ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will appear in a video link to the gathering of the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) on 12 March 2011 at the Democracy Monument.

UDD Acting Spokesperson Worawut Wichaidit confirmed that seven UDD core leaders who were recently granted release on bail will give speeches individually while Mr Thaksin will also address the crowd in a video-link.

Mr Worawut also elaborated that UDD supporters will start marching on that day at around 15.00 hrs but the specific time to wind up the activity has not been scheduled yet. He however confirmed that the upcoming street-protest would not be prolonged.

The spokesperson then announced that the UDD will assemble once again on 19 March 2011 in order to mark the 10-month anniversary on the government’s crackdown on the group at Ratchaprasong Intersection in Bangkok.

As for other political activities, Mr Worawut detailed that a free concert of UDD core leaders will be arranged on 26 March at Khao Yai in Nakhon Ratchasima, and training will be conducted for 1,500 UDD leaders nationwide on 9 April in order to prepare them for another mass rally on 10 April.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-03-10 footer_n.gif

CAPO warns 7 bailed UDD leaders to move peacefully

BANGKOK, 10 March 2011 (NNT) – The police will closely monitor movements of the recently released seven core leaders of the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), especially in their planned rally on 12 March 2011.

National Police Spokesperson Police Major General Prawut Thavornsiri said after a meeting of the Center for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) that the CAPO estimated that scores of UDD supporters would take part in the upcoming street-protest to see the first public appearance of the seven key figures after their release.

The Criminal Court on 22 February 2011 released seven UDD core leaders on bail. They comprise Mr Nattawut Saikua, Medical Doctor Weng Tojirakarn, Mr Korkaew Pikulthong, Mr Nisit Sinthuprai, Mr Kwanchai Praipana, Mr Wiphuthalaeng Phatthanaphumthai and Mr Yosawarit Chuklom.

The police spokesperson warned those UDD key figures to be careful about their speech to the gathering as they might breach the bail conditions which could prompt the police to notify the Department of Special Investigation to file a court petition to withdraw their bails immediately.

Police Major General Prawut believed the upcoming UDD's demonstration at the Democracy Monument would not be prolonged and would end by the nighttime of the same day.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-03-10 footer_n.gif

He cites no reason for his belief. Why would it necessarily turn violent? Last year the protests went on for days until the government encited the violence and started shooting innocent people. Sounds like typical villifying of the opposition. Anyway I'm going to walk over and check it out. The protests have become quite a tourist site! Hopefully I don't get shot at by the government's men in black!

He cites no reason for his belief. Why would it necessarily turn violent? Last year the protests went on for days until the government encited the violence and started shooting innocent people. Sounds like typical villifying of the opposition. Anyway I'm going to walk over and check it out. The protests have become quite a tourist site! Hopefully I don't get shot at by the government's men in black!

I think you (conveniently) forgot about the red shirts confronting troops stationed away from the protests, and at the barracks and storming parliament and Thaicom all before April 10, when not so innocent red (black) shirts were doing a fair bit of their own shooting and throwing of grenades.

RUNAWAY RED LEADER

Adisorn urged other red leaders to stop running

By The Nation

Fugitive red leader Adisorn Piengket who surrendered on Thursday claimed that he had hidden in either Bangkok or some northeastern provinces during his runaway.

Adisorn, a former Thai Rak Thai MP of Khon Kaen, said he had not fled abroad as earlier reported. Adisorn said that he initially wished to flee to Vietnam but he did not do so.

Adisorn Piengket on Thursday surrendered to the Department of Special Investigation to face terrorism charges in connection with last year's riots.

He told reporters that he decided to surrender out of belief that the country is now heading to reconciliation process. He also urged other fugitive read leaders to surrender now, they should not think that they could hide forever.

He will testify with the DSI again on March 28.

Accompanied by former commerce minister Watthana Muangsuk, Adisorn met with DSI director general Tharit Pengdit before booking and giving his statement.

The DSI later allowed Adisorn to be freed on a bail of Bt600,000 under the same condition as the seven freed leaders.

He later surrendered to the Crime Suppression Division to acknowlege a defamation charge and was also released on bail.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-10

RUNAWAY RED LEADER

By The Nation

The DSI later allowed Adisorn to be freed on a bail of Bt600,000 under the same condition as the seven freed leaders.

He later surrendered to the Crime Suppression Division to acknowlege a defamation charge and was also released on bail.

So they don't take "flight risk" into consideration then?

Edited by whybother

Do people, including the leaders who did not flee and were thus incarcerated for 9 months, think that this decision to grant bail to Adisorn was fair?

Edited by hyperdimension

..or more likely the reds in black.

...btw, I can't imagine why he would have a single reason to suspect that....hmmm....might have to ask your magic 8 ball, or gaze into the crystal ball!

The "government's men in black", who were cheered on by the red shirts...?

I'm not going to bother posting the clips again.

/edit - Regardless, if you've been in BKK over the past three years (like a good number of us here), you'll know where there's red shirts violence is never far away. No amount of propaganda and disinformation distributed by a certain "lawyer" will change this.

Edited by Insight

Do people, including the leaders who did not flee and were thus incarcerated for 9 months, think that this decision to grant bail to Adisorn was fair?

Hiding out for so long was probably harder than being in jail, though. Anyway, he says he left the rally last year on 11th May and now just wants to spend his time quietly, no more rallies for him.

Very unlikely you will get shot even if you would deserve it. Don't worry most non-red-shirt, innocent bystanders who were killed or wounded were so by having grenades lobbed on them ;)

That sort of makes schumucks out of the 7 that had been imprisoned for the past 9 months.

Ever amazing that he waltzes back here after 9 months on the lam, and gets the same treatment as those that surrendered long ago and have been incarcerated the whole time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the other 7 Red Shirt Leaders protest against this clear case of double-standards.

RUNAWAY RED LEADER

By The Nation

So they don't take "flight risk" into consideration then?

Why would someone running from the law and being a fugitive from justice for nine months be considered a "flight risk" he asks facetiously?

My other question would be will those that helped him during his life on the lam be charged with aiding and abetting a known fugitive? What role did the other Red Shirts play in supporting and helping him during all this time?

Edited by Buchholz

Careful what you wish for - and get your facts right, the Govt did not invoke the violence. But by all means - no one really cares how Farang act in this country and if you are willing to be there and wear lead poisoning, your decision. laugh.gif

"As for other political activities, Mr Worawut detailed that a free concert of UDD core leaders will be arranged on 26 March at Khao Yai in Nakhon Ratchasima"

This is a fantastic idea. Ad Carabao can play protest songs, sell lots of energy drinks, the farmers can get blind drunk on Lao Khao and start a massive fight.

In fact it sounds just like a normal event at Bonanza. Where can i buy the tickets please?

Better still why not make this the permanent site for RedShirt events?

Edited by bangon04

Get drunk amd give a speech while your there.

I think you (conveniently) forgot about the red shirts confronting troops stationed away from the protests, and at the barracks and storming parliament and Thaicom all before April 10, when not so innocent red (black) shirts were doing a fair bit of their own shooting and throwing of grenades.

bla bla bla....

bla bla bla....

Never let a few facts get in the way of a bit of red propaganda, right?

The first moment anyone puts any form of physical structure on the road, they have to break up the protest. No stages, no tents, no chairs, no tables, nothing nada. They can walk down the road, and keep going.

It is as if these protests metamorphose from a group of people standing in the road to a functioning city without anyone noticing. You have the right to a march (as long as you keep moving), you do not have the right to commandeer the roads.

I seem to remember that there is a 33 rai block of land somewhere near Rachadapisek that they could concrete and turn into "Coloured Protesters Square". I think it would be a very appropriate gesture to use this land for something useful as opposed to a few more apartment blocks.

The first moment anyone puts any form of physical structure on the road, they have to break up the protest. No stages, no tents, no chairs, no tables, nothing nada. They can walk down the road, and keep going.

It is as if these protests metamorphose from a group of people standing in the road to a functioning city without anyone noticing. You have the right to a march (as long as you keep moving), you do not have the right to commandeer the roads.

I seem to remember that there is a 33 rai block of land somewhere near Rachadapisek that they could concrete and turn into "Coloured Protesters Square". I think it would be a very appropriate gesture to use this land for something useful as opposed to a few more apartment blocks.

I do not know of the land you are talkig about, but this is a truly inspirational idea. If you can't stop various groups of Thais from protesting, even if you address the problems they are protesting about, then why not build a public protest square? For the good of the people. 33 Rai is big enough for a lot of people to protest...