Safe Deposit Boxes

danozxfxr

Some years ago I tried many of the banks in the centre, no luck. I got one in BKK bank in Bo Sang

An alternative, tho' less secure, is a PO box at the Post office near Wat Pra Sing or wararot. Depends how valuable the items are

We've been getting a song and dance from our branch bank about a safe deposit box for over two years, despite substantial funds in the bank. I have yet to hear of any westerner who actually has a safe deposit box at a bank in Chiang Mai. You can purchase a home safe from a vendor on Chang Moi Rd. I imagine other shops sell them as well.

I requested to be put on the waiting list at my Kasikorn bank branch on Thapae Rd over 2 years ago and never got a called so this past July, I began to inquire about a box at the different branches and within a few days, I got one at their branch on Suthep Rd. The branch is on the left side of the street heading west just before Nimmanhaemin.

I have yet to hear of any westerner who actually has a safe deposit box at a bank in Chiang Mai.

There are some for sure plus Vagabond assuming he fits your meaning for westerner. If you really want a box, search around like he did.

Edited by Dante99

We've been getting a song and dance from our branch bank about a safe deposit box for over two years, despite substantial funds in the bank. I have yet to hear of any westerner who actually has a safe deposit box at a bank in Chiang Mai. You can purchase a home safe from a vendor on Chang Moi Rd. I imagine other shops sell them as well.

I had one for several years in the BKK bak in Bor Sang. No problem and from looking, many were not used

Good to learn there are some safety deposit boxes available. I've heard my friends discuss this topic and none had found a safety deposit box at a branch bank near their home. I must admit, we gave up looking once we acquired a safe.

Edited by NancyL

Good to learn there are some safety deposit boxes available. I've heard my friends discuss this topic and none had found a safety deposit box at a branch bank near their home. I must admit, we gave up looking once we acquired a safe.

Like you I gave up the bank deposit box once we got a safe

• 4 months later...

The main branch of SCB (tha pae) has added hundreds of new safety deposit boxes. If anyone wants one now it should be no problem. I have had one there for a few years and the price has gone up a lot. I was paying 1000b a year and it is now 1500 a year, for the smallest size box. I'm not sure about other banks but many of the SCB branches don't have boxes so you have to go to the main branch.

I have safe deposit boxes with 2 banks in Chiang Mai.

1 with the Bangkok bank in Tapae road, had this for 6 years and another with the kasikorn bank, opened only 4 months ago, no problem.

cost 660 baht per year each box.

We also have a safe that I installed at home. Safes can be purchased from Global House, Home Pro and Big C, range from all sizes, types and prices. Start from around 600 baht up to 20000 baht.

My advice is; that if you are wanting to rent a safe deposit box in a bank and your own branch refuses or informs that there is a long waiting list, then try a branch elsewhere.

There is no rule that imposes a customer can only rent a box at the branch they bank with.

Edited by Beetlejuice

The main branch of SCB (tha pae) has added hundreds of new safety deposit boxes. If anyone wants one now it should be no problem. I have had one there for a few years and the price has gone up a lot. I was paying 1000b a year and it is now 1500 a year, for the smallest size box. I'm not sure about other banks but many of the SCB branches don't have boxes so you have to go to the main branch.

We pay 2,000B/year for our safety-box at SCB in Mae-Jo, but it's one of the slightly-larger boxes, not the very-smallest. Not filled with gold though ! B)

I have mentioned in one of my threads that there are safety deposit boxes available at an SCB branch at or near the night market. They had just installed rows of new ones in addition to the new one. They were available last month when the VP (branch manager) showed us. I'm reading off from his business card:

Witaya Chanloung

17 Tha Phae Rd, Chang Klan, Mueang, Chiang Mai 50100

Don't know if it's against the forum rule to pose phone numbers and email or not, so I refrain posting them.

Hope this is not hijacking the thread, but the comment has come up by others.

Some words of caution regarding a home safe:

1. Don't have one installed by an outside vendor. If you can't do it yourself, don't have it.

2. Don't tell people you have one.

3. Don't throw the box away in the trash can outside your home.

4. Try to find a unique place for it or a place where it can easily be concealed.

Those truck drivers who may deliver your safe now know where you live, and even if they are honest, after a few beers, their friends may not be.

If people know you have a safe, they will assume that yours is filled with untold treasures. I had a friend once whose wife was beaten in front of him and had a gun pointed to her head until he gave up the combo.

Be cautious.

1. Don't have one installed by an outside vendor. If you can't do it yourself, don't have it.

4. Try to find a unique place for it or a place where it can easily be concealed.

Those truck drivers who may deliver your safe now know where you live, and even if they are honest, after a few beers, their friends may not be.

If people know you have a safe, they will assume that yours is filled with untold treasures. I had a friend once whose wife was beaten in front of him and had a gun pointed to her head until he gave up the combo.

Be cautious.

Best post and advice I have been reading for months onTV...

I have a safety box in Kadsuen department store in the Bangkok bank,Hauy Kell road. their

Be cautious.

Best post and advice I have been reading for months onTV...

Be cautious.

Great advice, but better advice is don't get a home safe. I know two people who had about $70,000 US apiece stolen from them when they were out of town. In once case the thieves pulled the safe out of the wall and appeared to have used some type of noise making tools. The staff at the apartment complex never saw or heard anything.

Looks like they got off lucky. At least they weren't beaten like Lobo's friend.