Cleats

Tonto21

I ride with cleats and about an hour into my ride my feet start to hurt. Am I alone in suffering pain, its cross between cramp and sharp intermittent stabbing pain in the feet around the ball joints of my toes.

I used to think it was my shoes, (too small) but just got a new pair and same thing, it hurts to the point where once it starts it’s hard to enjoy the ride. I ride mainly off road.

Anyone else suffer with this? Does anyone have any tips or advise on how to fix this problem?

Thank….Tenderfoot!

are you talking about "hot" foot (besides the pain, feet feel like they're on fire)? your feet swell as you ride & if they can't expand they pinch a nerve in your foot (sciatic?) & "et voilà" my feet are on fire ;-)

i sort of fixed mine by getting some good cycling socks (loose weave at the bottom, tight at the top) & making sure my shoes were loosely tied at the bottom & tight at the top. also went for a wider shoe size then what i wear normally. but even that's not 100%, still have to stop & rest my tootsies (by taking off my shoes & wiggling my toes) once in a while.

if it's not hot foot, gearing too high? always pounding up hills? maybe inserts would help?

is your saddle correctly positioned? tried fiddling w/the cleat positions?

finally, seen a doctor? might be something else entirely.

are you talking about "hot" foot (besides the pain, feet feel like they're on fire)? your feet swell as you ride & if they can't expand they pinch a nerve in your foot (sciatic?) & "et voilà" my feet are on fire ;-)

i sort of fixed mine by getting some good cycling socks (loose weave at the bottom, tight at the top) & making sure my shoes were loosely tied at the bottom & tight at the top. also went for a wider shoe size then what i wear normally. but even that's not 100%, still have to stop & rest my tootsies (by taking off my shoes & wiggling my toes) once in a while.

if it's not hot foot, gearing too high? always pounding up hills? maybe inserts would help?

is your saddle correctly positioned? tried fiddling w/the cleat positions?

finally, seen a doctor? might be something else entirely.

I have to say no to hot foot, just a feeling of my feet being too mashed together at the ball joints.

Gearing to high, I would have to say no to that one, hills; well I do a lot of them, but I don’t think I would ever be a seen as powering up them.

Saddle and cleat position…could be, I’ll have a fiddle, thanks.

One other thing I’ve noticed, but general only starts to be noticeable after riding for long periods is my hands start to go numb, and I become aware how much weight I’m putting on my arms, (as I start to get tired) all possibly related maybe. One of the problem I have is I ride alone, and always have done, apart from with the Thai guys out at Mae Taeng, (no English)and my Thai does not stretch to medical pain terminology, so no one to converse with. I think I best start reading up on correct positioning and seek advice on here and maybe the bike shop.

Thank for your input.

if you ride up a lot of hills, your feet will hurt sometimes, don't think you can help much w/that except by maybe adding shoe inserts.

numb hands as well? that's often a side of bad bike fit or riding posture. in any case maybe sheldon brown will help: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/pain.html

i haven't found too many doctors who didn't speak some kind of english here. i'd still try to see a doctor if this persists. even better if you can get a referral to a sports medicine guy.

Thanks guys, I held of replying till I was sure I had sorted this problem out. It was the seat, that simple, (and the prize goes to coldfusionpaul) I know I dismissed his saying to check the seat position, but I did alter it yesterday, (took the nose up a few mils) and I rode yesterday and today, unbelievable transformation, my feet still hurt a little near the end of the ride, 2 hour, but hey, that’s acceptable, even my hands are now good…………………………..Just have to get more padding for my ass now, (fat boy) hahahaha. Cheers guy’s