Four Romanians Arrested In Phuket In Bt100m ATM Scam

webfact

Phuket Swindle: Romanians charged in Bt100mn ATM scam

phuket-1-KmbTsQX.jpg

One of the suspects shows the press how the ATM card ‘skimmer’ works as

Maj Gen Panya Mamen (left) looks on. Photo: Atchaa Kamlo

phuket-4-KxLPKAQ.jpg

The four Romanians stand accused of stealing more than 100 million baht.

Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- Four Romanians were arrested by Phuket police yesterday and charged with running an ATM card scam that is claimed to have stolen 100 million baht.

The four were named by police as Gavrila Florin Eugen, 33; Ene Bogdan Constantin, 23; Vilvoi Claudiu Constantin, 36; and Gavrila Alexandra, 26.

All four suspects were arrested at their rented room at the Azzurro Village Hotel on Rat-U-Thit 200 Pee Road in Patong.

In the room, police found 211 unformatted ATM cards and a “skimmer” that reads data from genuine ATM cards issued by banks. Once captured by the skimmer, that data can be printed onto "blank" ATM cards.

Also seized as evidence were two laptop computers and a USB drive.

Maj Gen Panya Mamen, deputy commissioner of the Criminal Investigation Bureau in Bangkok, explained at a press conference in Phuket today that the arrests followed receipt by the Transnational Crime Suppression Center of tip-offs from the London Metropolitan Police and Siam Commercial Bank.

“The tip-offs gave information about foreigners being involved in ATM scams in tourist hot spots, including Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin and Phuket,” he said.

The complaints from London and the bank reported that ATMs in the UK were fitted with devices to record account information to a USB drive.

The USB drive was then brought to Thailand, where the account information was transferred onto blank ATM cards, after which money was withdrawn from the accounts using local ATMs, Maj Gen Panya explained.

“Cash withdrawn using the forged ATM cards was also sent to their home country. We will continue to work with authorities and follow where that money was sent,” he said.

Maj Gen Panya said that officers investigating the reports on Saturday arrested two Turkish nationals – named as Samana Baris, 34, and Karaburcak Celalettin Kursat, 35.

The two were caught in Bangkok with 59 unformatted ATM cards, Maj Gen Panya said.

Those arrests led to the four Romanians being arrested in Phuket, he said.

The Romanian suspects are being held at Kathu Police Station.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-03-14

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like thai atm are outdated and have serious security loopholes, if information from the skimmed uk cards is send to thailand.

all this scams from the international gangs are on the top of the local gangs, trying to call bank users and steal sensitive info from them. Every few weeks somebody from my family is called from the "bank" and asked to go to some particular cash mashine and enter pin, to re-activate their card.

Edited by londonthai

looks like thai atm are outdated and have serious security loopholes, if information from the skimmed uk cards is send to thailand.

Yes this sounds like a Thailand's fault ... farangs stealing ATM info from other farangs then using ATMs in Thailand where they got busted.

Edited by Nisa

Yes this sounds like a Thailand's fault ... farangs stealing ATM info from other farangs then using ATMs in Thailand where they got busted.

How are those rose-tinted glasses doing, Nisa? Still working pretty well by the sound of it.

But don't worry - in a couple of years they'll go amazingly clear.

well you can't blame the Romanians. They are never blamed for any crime in Europe.....

It's good to see some coordination between the international enforcement agencies, banks and the Thai cops. 100 mil baht is not chump change. For some bloke in London who discovers his account is low by hundreds or thousands of quid because of withdrawals made in Phuket when he never left the UK, I'm sure this some welcome relief.

Sometimes the best offense towards crime is a good defense. Avoid using ATM's that are in high-foot traffic tourist areas. Try and use ones that are off the beaten track and also do a visual inspection of the card feeder. You can often spot that it has been tampered with or looks odd. Also change your password occasionally.

How are those rose-tinted glasses doing, Nisa? Still working pretty well by the sound of it.

Somehow I don't think I will take off the "rose colored" glasses any time soon since I have grown-up with the attitude that it is always better to concentrate on the positive while simply being aware of the negative. Makes me a happy and content person who sees the good in people.

I say job well done for putting an end to an alleged criminal group that preyed on other farangs.

And I have no clue how ATMs vary here, that allowed this crime) than ATMs in most countries ... especially other developing nations since I am certainly not so ignorant to whine and expect things here to be like a First World country such as the UK or the US. And if smart chip technology they are moving to in the UK can be defeated by simply going to another country (including the USA) then it doesn't really sound like a Thai problem ... especially in this case.

The USA has not moved to the smart chip technology yet but many (most?) banks wouldn't allow and Debit Card transaction to take place overseas without the card holder making the bank aware they were traveling. From the story it sounds like they had been using card information they obtained back in the UK.

The complaints from London and the bank reported that ATMs in the UK were fitted with devices to record account information to a USB drive.

The USB drive was then brought to Thailand, where the account information was transferred onto blank ATM cards, after which money was withdrawn from the accounts using local ATMs, Maj Gen Panya explained.

Edited by Nisa

Sometimes the best offense towards crime is a good defense. Avoid using ATM's that are in high-foot traffic tourist areas. Try and use ones that are off the beaten track and also do a visual inspection of the card feeder. You can often spot that it has been tampered with or looks odd. Also change your password occasionally.

Sound advice. I actually set up my US Bank account to alert me via email to my balance every day. Not sure about Europe but in the US you can only be held accountable for $50 or some minimal amount if you report the card missing/stolen with in 48 or 72 hours. As for this kind of fraud you may be 100% covered but whose to say how long it takes to get that money back. Very dangerous in the US too in terms of fraud because Bank Cards issued in the USA can be swiped just like credit cards at any place that takes Visa/MC without putting your pin number in. The difference with a credit card is that in the Bank Card situation the money is debited immediately from your account. The only time you need to enter your pin is if you are withdrawing cash.

What I don't understand is how did they get the pin numbers? The card itself doesn't contain information on your secret PIN number and it sounds like a whole bunch of cards involved ... I guess a lot of spying by the ATMs where they set up the card readers.

Edited by Nisa

Nothing 'rose tinted' at all, it's not because Thai atms are out of date, this is a huge problem everywhere. Google atm skimmer to find loads of pictures of them

Here's an atm skimmer found in California, and they can get a lot more complex than this

skim1-2.jpg

They can get your code through a camera or something like this that reads and records what buttons you press

lmpincapture.jpg

Beach resorts here are probably a good target for these people. Many people will be very drunk and going to atms late at night to get cash out and won't be paying attention if something looks a little weird.

Edited by DP25

How can so many of us be so very wrong about something so very simple and fundamental....?

It is NOT Thailand's fault.... dear poster and readers....

It is the consumers' freaking fault.... not to exercise due diligent.... over their own personal properties.... when using them in public domain....

We really should look at our own behaviors first.... before trying so easily to blame someone else for our error and mistake....

Hope you get my point.... :huh:

How can so many of us be so very wrong about something so very simple and fundamental....?

It is NOT Thailand's fault.... dear poster and readers....

It is the consumers' freaking fault.... not to exercise due diligent.... over their own personal properties.... when using them in public domain....

We really should look at our own behaviors first.... before trying so easily to blame someone else for our error and mistake....

Hope you get my point.... :huh:

do mot get your point. In most places you can use an atm without going online first to check the scams. What ciuntry are you from that this is normal?

Nothing 'rose tinted' at all, it's not because Thai atms are out of date, this is a huge problem everywhere. Google atm skimmer to find loads of pictures of them

Here's an atm skimmer found in California, and they can get a lot more complex than this

skim1-2.jpg

They can get your code through a camera or something like this that reads and records what buttons you press

lmpincapture.jpg

Beach resorts here are probably a good target for these people. Many people will be very drunk and going to atms late at night to get cash out and won't be paying attention if something looks a little weird.

Thx for the pix. They help many to understand how the device actually works....

So we all ought to protect our own cards and money and properties.... so others can not steal anything from us.

skim1-2.jpg

lmpincapture.jpg

Thx for the pix. They help many to understand how the device actually works....

So we all ought to protect our own cards and money and properties.... so others can not steal anything from us.

With a little bit of advance planning I actually only use ATM's that are inside banks. Most of those are under surveillance by guards and therefore scammers have view possibilities to install their devices.

skim1-2.jpg

lmpincapture.jpg

this thread is very informative............ gonna be a lot helpful................................thanks

Edited by dunkin2012

Sorry to disappoint all you Thai bashers:

"The complaints from London and the bank reported that ATMs in the UK were fitted with devices to record account information to a USB drive.

The USB drive was then brought to Thailand, where the account information was transferred onto blank ATM cards, after which money was withdrawn from the accounts using local ATMs, Maj Gen Panya explained."

Should read before commenting ...

"The complaints from London and the bank reported that ATMs in the UK were fitted with devices to record account information to a USB drive.

The USB drive was then brought to Thailand, where the account information was transferred onto blank ATM cards, after which money was withdrawn from the accounts using local ATMs, Maj Gen Panya explained."

Why Thailand dude? I am curious to know from these guys. Why not Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, the Philippines or where else? Is it Because the legal system is to weak? Or Thailand is a heaven for these crooks.

Why Thailand dude? I am curious to know from these guys. Why not Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, the Philippines or where else? Is it Because the legal system is to weak? Or Thailand is a heaven for these crooks.

It is because they wanted to have a vacation here.

Sometimes your bashers are really pathetic.

dude don't you mean a haven ? when given the choice of a free holiday in above said countries I know which I would choose

skim1-2.jpg

lmpincapture.jpg

These capture devices are very sophisticated. I consider myself very vigilant and always take a look at the slot (although never the keyboard until now) and I think you'd be lucky to spot one like this if the ATM was in a poorly lit position or with a line of impatient people behind you. All the examples I've seen before have been more obvious.

Because of the beautiful girls here, its the best place to spend their ill-gotten gains.... and spending a lot of cash moneys here does not raise eyebrows, only lowers morals..!!

Sound advice. I actually set up my US Bank account to alert me via email to my balance every day. Not sure about Europe but in the US you can only be held accountable for $50 or some minimal amount if you report the card missing/stolen with in 48 or 72 hours. As for this kind of fraud you may be 100% covered but whose to say how long it takes to get that money back. Very dangerous in the US too in terms of fraud because Bank Cards issued in the USA can be swiped just like credit cards at any place that takes Visa/MC without putting your pin number in. The difference with a credit card is that in the Bank Card situation the money is debited immediately from your account. The only time you need to enter your pin is if you are withdrawing cash.

What I don't understand is how did they get the pin numbers? The card itself doesn't contain information on your secret PIN number and it sounds like a whole bunch of cards involved ... I guess a lot of spying by the ATMs where they set up the card readers.

When I went to Kunming, Yunan, China durin' the new year, I bought a pair of jeans. I couldn't use my credit card as they asked me to enter the PIN but I couldn't remember. I always use it without the PIN almost everywhere except in Kunming,China.

As for the case, I don't mind if they scam Thai banks cos' they unscrupulously make money from their clients. Charges are on every f*ckin' thing plus givin' poor exchange rates. The credit is for our Thai police again Bravo. However, there are some cases still mysterious up north where a few Farangs died at Downtown Inn........ :guitar:

Edited by dunkin2012

Are you for real? Do you think we would be reading this story if it happened somewhere else? In other words it does happen other places .. this is just one gang who were caught here.

I have to wonder if the same story was here (on ThaiVisa) and it happened in the Philippines if you would be commenting that Thailand is such crap that criminals even choose to go to the Philippines over Thailand.

Edited by Nisa

well you can't blame the Romanians. They are never blamed for any crime in Europe.....

Those do not appear to be typical Romanian people but more like the Roma (gypsy's) which are known trouble-makers throughout Eastern Europe.

I personally found a skimmer and camera hidden in a flyer box to the left of the ATM at a Krungsri ATM close to Tukom shopping mal (outside the actual bank) in Pattaya. I always give the card inserter thingy a good push/pull before putting my card in, check for hidden cameras in flyer boxes and cover the keypad when entering my pin, however I never knew they had key pad loggers like above, need to start being aggressive with the keypad also. These skimmers come free relatively easy with a good pull. Should have seen the staff in the bank when I walked in with it.

The only reason I do this is because I watched a documentary years ago on how Eastern European scammers come over to the UK specifically for this. Also be careful when handing over your credit card in restaurants and the like, even in small shops, it only takes a matter of seconds to skim your card under the counter. Trust no-one and never let your card get out of sight.

Ive had one of my VISA cards skimmed from somewhere in Thailand (not an ATM), I only found out when I noticed on a statement approx. $1500 was spent on some telephone service in Sweden!! Just for those who don't know, if you use a credit card, ie VISA/MasterCard etc you are automatically covered with your issuer against fraud, but double check just incase. Debit cards as far as im aware are not covered (i think you have to pay extra for this and set it up in advance), so your account is at risk and you wont get a sausage back from your bank.

Bottom line use your credit card as much as possible as WHEN you get scammed you will get your money back, eventually. Apologies if I have some of the information wrong, but this has been my personal experiences over the years.

I know the initial OP was folk being scammed in Europe and their details used over here, but believe me it happens here also.

Hope this helps raise awareness to this annoying problem

I just hope these people go to a Wonderful Thai prison for a long time and have cockroaches nibbling at their ears at night. instead of Patong;s Bar girls. Worse than drug dealers.

Worser than drug Dealers,come on!

In the end the bank is responsible for refunding the money and who gives a f@@@ if somebody steals money from a bank??

"You need people like me so you can put your fuc@in fingers....:

Not worry, i am pretty sure even if some crooks spend their money on the bar girls in patong,there will still be a few left for you and i really believe thats all you worry about!