Why Do Expats Wear Shorts In Thailand

Semper

Its a way of life, I wear long shorts/polo and steel caps to work, in a social enviroment I wear long shorts/t-shirt and surfer joe thongs, hell will freeeze over before you see me in long pants.

May I ask why. :)

I come from the Gold Coast in Queensland Australia, long pants have never been a requirement of my work or social life.

Me too Spoonman, Caboolture.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a way of life, I wear long shorts/polo and steel caps to work, in a social enviroment I wear long shorts/t-shirt and surfer joe thongs, hell will freeeze over before you see me in long pants.

May I ask why. :)

I come from the Gold Coast in Queensland Australia, long pants have never been a requirement of my work or social life.

Should I be impressed? :unsure: BTW, this topic is Thailand related. So nobody couldn't care less what you wear in Australia :whistling:

C'mon Semper, the question was WHY ? so he has done it all his life because he comes from a warm climate thats why ................get it ? duh.

Why in the hell not. Probably because because its cooler and more comfortable. However i come from Queensland and would'nt dream of anything other than shorts and short sleeves except for perhaps a couple of weeks in june or for a formal occaision.

OK sailor boy. Try to sit down on your favourite beach with your legs stretched out. Then put a towel on your left leg. Waite 30 minutes and tell me which leg feels cooler.

Why in the hell not. Probably because because its cooler and more comfortable. However i come from Queensland and would'nt dream of anything other than shorts and short sleeves except for perhaps a couple of weeks in june or for a formal occaision.

OK sailor boy. Try to sit down on your favourite beach with your legs stretched out. Then put a towel on your left leg. Waite 30 minutes and tell me which leg feels cooler.

The one that's getting sand-blasted with hailstones Best beaches in the world, in the Hebrides. Not the best weather, though... SC

Quetion to the OP - why is this a bad thing? I mean I do agree that even in the states many younger folks wear cargo pants. boring tshirts and flip flops. They even do it when it's a bit chily. But why the question? I had on long pants and long shorts yesterday walking around and literally felt faint. I had to stop at one of the rip off tourist booths and purchase and overpriced tshirt for fear of fainting.

Is it seen as rude? I've also seen quite a bit of Thai men in shorts.

No, it's not a "bad thing". I'm just curious why the expats have not got used to the climate here. 32 degrees is not that hot if you have been here for a couple of years.

<deleted>, OMG etc., Why in the name of hell did'nt you ask us this question in the first place. Do you have any idea how much stress, worry, embarassment and loss of face that you have put every one of us through. Dragging out some of our cross dressing and girlie bar secrets. You should be ashamed of yourself ! :angry::annoyed:

These days farangs who wear jeans/trousers at the weekends during the day are screamingly obviously english teachers (who read something on stickman a few years ago which said Thai's look down on people who wear shorts).

So i wear shorts, because i dont want to look like an english teacher.

Yet again someone who feels the need to look down on other people to validate his/ her sorry life.

Get a grip.

Not stupid, don't sit in the sun, but you have obviously tried it . :whistling:

The one that's getting sand-blasted with hailstones Best beaches in the world, in the Hebrides. Not the best weather, though... SC

Hebrides, best beaches ? who told you that bit of nonsense. :rolleyes:

I remember seeing something like this thread on youtube.

Some pratt was going about Bangkok or Chiang Mai or something filming expats wearing shorts & posting the videos on youtube mocking them. I will try to find one of the vids and post here later.

I wondered why somebody could be so concerned about such a petty thing. I think he also had a swipe at people wearing thongs and in some of his videos he followed thai gurls walking to work on their way to Nana or Pat Pong or something like that.

Not you is it Semper? crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Some pratt was going about Bangkok or Chiang Mai or something filming expats wearing shorts & posting the videos on youtube mocking them. I will try to find one of the vids and post here later.

I wondered why somebody could be so concerned about such a petty thing. I think he also had a swipe at people wearing thongs and in some of his videos he followed thai gurls walking to work on their way to Nana or Pat Pong or something like that.

Methinks when we say people should get out more, we mean in a meaningful way.

Some people are just made like that, no life ...

No.

Quetion to the OP - why is this a bad thing? I mean I do agree that even in the states many younger folks wear cargo pants. boring tshirts and flip flops. They even do it when it's a bit chily. But why the question? I had on long pants and long shorts yesterday walking around and literally felt faint. I had to stop at one of the rip off tourist booths and purchase and overpriced tshirt for fear of fainting.

Is it seen as rude? I've also seen quite a bit of Thai men in shorts.

No, it's not a "bad thing". I'm just curious why the expats have not got used to the climate here. 32 degrees is not that hot if you have been here for a couple of years.

<deleted>, OMG etc., Why in the name of hell did'nt you ask us this question in the first place. Do you have any idea how much stress, worry, embarassment and loss of face that you have put every one of us through. Dragging out some of our cross dressing and girlie bar secrets. You should be ashamed of yourself ! :angry::annoyed:

I thought it was obvious. Appearently not. :(

It makes a dam_n sight more sense wearing shorts here in Thailand than it did in primary school in the middle of winter in the UK freezing your nuts off.

555555.......wow that brings back memories....we had to wear 'em in grammar school till what was it?...3rd form or something and that bloody silly cap.... some school f..g neighbors would report you to the head master if they saw you without it on your head, the dick 'ed used to stand at the school gate checking

.....and chapped f...g knees

...and tell at to the kids today and they won't believe ya

I couldnt find the videos, but im not tellin porkies......I just cant remember or find my way around. Happens with old age, im in the last years of my 30ies.

dry.gif

Mate, you were wearing shorts at the time?

Might be the problem ...

Ahhh no, but thanks for your imput brain surgeon. rolleyes.gif

I might only wear shorts 15% of the time......as I've always worn long pants. Around the house, working in the garden, etc I will dawn the old cut-offs. Frankly, I've lived in equatorial climes all my life, the heat is not a nuisance.

Shorts are great. Why be uncomfortable in a warm to hot climate. If you're wearing board shorts & it starts raining ...they dry in 10 minutes after the rain.And they don't look stuffy.Most of the time I prefer not to wear a shirt. Unless I am in a public place. Why not be comfortable in your retirement phase or at any time unless you have to impress the boss.

wearing shorts is fine, but i wouldn't be caught dead in board shorts unless i were wakeboarding or at the beach or pool.

i think people pretending their bathing suits are shorts look like tits.