Crisis In Japan To Hurt Tourist Arrivals In Thailand

webfact

Crisis in Japan to Hurt Tourist Arrivals in Thailand

The Tourism Council of Thailand has estimated that the number of Japanese tourists visiting Thailand this year will not reach 1.4 million as targeted.

Meanwhile, most Thai travel agencies have promised to offer refunds for those who wish to cancel their trips to Japan.

President of the Tourism Council of Thailand, Piyamarn Techaphaiboon said authorities are assessing the effects the Japan earthquake is having on the tourism sector in Thailand.

She said there will be a short-term effect on agencies arranging tours for Japanese people to visit Thailand, and for Thais to visit Japan.

She said the number of Japanese tourists visiting the kingdom will not reach 1.4 million this year as previously targeted, while adding that authorities will have to assess the situation further.

Piyamarn believes the quake in Japan may cause panic among those who planned to take boat trips on the ocean, but only in the short-term.

The number of tourists from other countries visiting Thailand is still normal.

Domestic travel is also being promoted to compensate for loss of foreign tourists

Meanwhile, Piyamarn pointed out that the government should take the situation as an opportunity to develop rescue equipment and alarm systems in Thailand, to build confidence for tourists visiting the country in the future.

The president of the Thai Travel Agents Association, Charoen Wangananont said that 40 travel agencies are planning to give refunds to those who wish to cancel their trips to Japan.

Charoen said he will submit a letter requesting all airlines to return their ticket fees, while requesting that the Japanese Embassy return all Visa fees, and coordinate with hotels in Japan to return all booking fees as well.

He said about 70 percent of Thais who were planning to travel to Japan have canceled their trips, from March 11 to May.

He added that the cancellations cover all cities in Japan, including those unaffected by the earthquake, as people fear the effects of nuclear radiation exposure.

Charoen expects it will take about three months before Japan's travel industry returns to normal.

He added that packaged tours for other countries remain normal, and that no other cancellations have been made so far.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-03-15

footer_n.gif

Quit putting this crap up on the board and start running an online feed of what's really happening--in Japan!! For Buddha's sake!!

There has now been an explosion at the fourth reactor. Radiation levels near the plant are now 20 times the annual limit in just one hour. Tens of thousands dead. 500,000 homeless and/or evacuated. Perhaps $100 Billion or more in property damage. The winds have now changed and are now blowing the radiation plume towards Tokyo and the homes of 37 Million people. Tomorrow the temperatures will drop to -3 C in the quake and tsunami devastated zone. Start putting what's important out here so you can be proud of your government for sending three medical personnel, or paying most of the 200 Million baht of Japanese aid to Thai's, or your MP's refusing to donate 3000 baht each because they have an election coming.

For Christ's sake--quit putting up all your self-centered selfish whining (and trying to call it journalism)and start being a good Buddhist! (sarcasm intended!) Start putting up what is really happening, because I guarantee you it will have more of an affect on you and every person in Thailand than these stupid stories.

Frustrated...

Agreed with all those comments , Thailand tourism come far after the problem of those poor people who lost everything , instead of battling with facts and figures ...ask all the hotels , tour operators etc ... to raise funds to help those in need.

Not surprising. Thailand is all about "me, me, me".

In a time of crisis where the Japanese have no idea what going to happen tomorrow and need all the help and aid they can get. At least it's nice to know that the Thai's are concerned that the Japanese can no longer spend as much money in Thailand.

Not surprising that every single newspaper in the entire world has loads of business articles discussing the local economic impact this tragedy will have, yet people use ones here as an excuse to rant against Thailand.

A business analyst on CNBC even said "The human toll here looks to be much worse than the economic toll, and we can be grateful for that." If you want something to be mad at, those are the kind of comments that are bad, not merely discussing what is likely to happen like we have here

Not surprising that every single newspaper in the entire world has loads of business articles discussing the local economic impact this tragedy will have, yet people use ones here as an excuse to rant against Thailand.

A business analyst on CNBC even said "The human toll here looks to be much worse than the economic toll, and we can be grateful for that." If you want something to be mad at, those are the kind of comments that are bad, not merely discussing what is likely to happen like we have here

[

/quote]

WE are criticising comment made here, in bad taste, about the income will be less ? yes........ Why do we get this USA Buls#it every time.............if other countries are insensitive go and give them your bit. as will the people there will also respond if a tourist body is out of line. You seem to be an anti basher, who will not admit that the comments were ill timed, and distasteful. Your afraid of what here, the other anti bashers. Your kind makes me pewk, your mind says most of the people here want to RANT against THAILAND, sometimes it's an expression of disbelief. Dont look on the bad side all the time, this thread was always on the cards to get the critics out.

Well isnt that SAD that all TAT can think of is themselves .

Charoen expects it will take about three months before Japan's travel industry returns to normal.

<deleted>? So many people had died, so many are suffering. And the"travel industry" will take about three months to recover? Insanity over Ignorance.:jap:

I agree with you, DP. I've heard countless Thai officials expressing their sorrow and condolences for the Japanese people, yet, all the pri*cks on TV can do is whine about what was not said. Or was it? I'm sure TAT officials may have expressed the same sort of sentiments publicly, but the article didn't include it because it was IRRELEVANT to the point of the article. Isn't the TAT's job related to tourism? Some of you Thai-bashing loonies need to get a life!

Reporting that these people have said utterly stupid and insensitive things is not the issue, it is THAT they have said utterly thoughtless things.

You may not think it is worth reporting and commenting on, but it shows a pattern. It is news, if not surprising, that these ministerial mouth pieces are so clueless.

And certainly that CNBC guy needs a new line of work, what a moron. Yes of course there will be economic affects from this, and to some extent need to be adress, but with a modicum of good taste too.

And this is not being displayed in several instances, but of course not all and so those that HAVE shown no good taste need to be shown for such.

Of coures it IS possible to say something, and by the time it is edited and in press, but in changed context, it does NOT say what was intended.

Edited by animatic

I agree with you, DP. I've heard countless Thai officials expressing their sorrow and condolences for the Japanese people, yet, all the pri*cks on TV can do is whine about what was not said. Or was it? I'm sure TAT officials may have expressed the same sort of sentiments publicly, but the article didn't include it because it was IRRELEVANT to the point of the article. Isn't the TAT's job related to tourism? Some of you Thai-bashing loonies need to get a life!

WE know all about the Thai officials and P.M. sending sympathy to Japan--we Know all about others CNBC and that brigade, what we LOONIES as you put it.... are just saying... discuss in your meetings about the effect it will have. Thats natural, and it is their business to do. BUT DON'T push the sob story down the throats of Japanese. Seems to me your self centered like the people who use comments like this at a very bad time. YOUR TING TONG ..p.s. Pric#s and loonies as you speak about posters, reflects on the type of wally you are.

Edited by ginjag

<deleted>? So many people had died, so many are suffering. And the"travel industry" will take about three months to recover? Insanity over Ignorance.:jap:

A typical exchange at headquarters of T.A.T..

TAT Executive: Nuttapong, what’s the forecast on Japanese tourist arrivals for the next month?

NUTTAPONG: Well Sir, I hear they’ve had a few problems with a massive earthquake, a devastating tsunami and now they’ve got leaking radiation from a nuclear power plant.

TAT Exec: Yes, yes, I know all about that, but what about the tourists? How many can we estimate for the March/ April period?

NUTTAPONG: Well sir, are we talking about tourists here or REFUGEES?

I mean this in a satirical way of course. The insensitivity of some people at a time of one of the worst environmental crises unfolding daily boggles the mind.

My thoughts are with the poor people over there whose lives have been totally devastated.

I'm sorry, but we are "bashing" because it is so well deserved. All I see from the Thai government are words. I see the Thai MP's refusing to donate 300o baht each, even though most are millionaires. I see the Thai government saying its rescue team was "delayed," even as rescue teams from 15 other nations are there rescuing. I see Thailand sending Three (3), count them... three, medical personnel to the disaster zone when most countries have send hundreds. I see the Thai government "saying" it will give 200 Million baht in aid, but then most of that will be paid out to Thai companies for airplane tickets and the likes--not actually to the Japanese. And While only three medical personnel are being sent to the disaster zone, 35 "health teams" are being sent to Narita to help Thai citizens who happen to be in Japan. Yea, right.

Japan donated $500 Million to the 2004 tsunami relief, much of which went to Thailand. They are the leading investors in Thailand, and a huge tourism partner. Yet you think all that's required is to say you're sorry for what's happening? Perhaps you have not noticed that this disaster in Japan is many times worse than what happened to Thailand in 2004: 10,000+ dead, 500,000 homeless, freezing temperatures and rain, +/- $100 Billion in property damage; an evolving nuclear crisis that promises to be the largest in history, etc. Yet you try to defend a government that is doing little to nothing? Oh, except saying they are sorry?

Question: what have you donated? There are endless ways to donate online and around Thailand... so how much have you given in this disaster? When the government is failed (and this one certainly seems to be), it's up to the people. So what as an individual have you done? My wife's company has taken up collections for blankets and they are paying Thai Airlines to deliver them. She can also help you donate through your ATM if you don't know how to do that. I myself am broke, but somehow I managed to give what the MP's here could not afford in an election year. So what about you? You who is so sick of us bashing your government for doing nothing? What have you given?

Needless to say, it is a rhetorical question.

ATSIII has probably put into words in a nice way, what most of us were thinking in more abrupt terms. The mention of how the proposed (emergency) aid was to be routed thru Thai companies for services, etc was the most telling about the mind set of Thailand, in my estimation. I really like the way this proposal was barely mentioned when it came to the avenue of sending the aid. An example of the Thai solution to the Thai mindset toward helping others.

I'm sorry, but we are "bashing" because it is so well deserved. All I see from the Thai government are words. I see the Thai MP's refusing to donate 300o baht each, even though most are millionaires. I see the Thai government saying its rescue team was "delayed," even as rescue teams from 15 other nations are there rescuing. I see Thailand sending Three (3), count them... three, medical personnel to the disaster zone when most countries have send hundreds. I see the Thai government "saying" it will give 200 Million baht in aid, but then most of that will be paid out to Thai companies for airplane tickets and the likes--not actually to the Japanese. And While only three medical personnel are being sent to the disaster zone, 35 "health teams" are being sent to Narita to help Thai citizens who happen to be in Japan. Yea, right.

Japan donated $500 Million to the 2004 tsunami relief, much of which went to Thailand. They are the leading investors in Thailand, and a huge tourism partner. Yet you think all that's required is to say you're sorry for what's happening? Perhaps you have not noticed that this disaster in Japan is many times worse than what happened to Thailand in 2004: 10,000+ dead, 500,000 homeless, freezing temperatures and rain, +/- $100 Billion in property damage; an evolving nuclear crisis that promises to be the largest in history, etc. Yet you try to defend a government that is doing little to nothing? Oh, except saying they are sorry?

Question: what have you donated? There are endless ways to donate online and around Thailand... so how much have you given in this disaster? When the government is failed (and this one certainly seems to be), it's up to the people. So what as an individual have you done? My wife's company has taken up collections for blankets and they are paying Thai Airlines to deliver them. She can also help you donate through your ATM if you don't know how to do that. I myself am broke, but somehow I managed to give what the MP's here could not afford in an election year. So what about you? You who is so sick of us bashing your government for doing nothing? What have you given?

You seem to be the master of useless information. If you would spend as much time working as you do digging around for anti-Thai info (or making stuff up), perhaps you wouldn't be "broke" and have to sponge off your wife. You're seriously veering off point here, but whatever. One could attack pretty much any country for "not doing enough." But since you brought it up, what percentage of that $500 million that Japan donated went to Japanese companies and Japanese individuals involved in that relief effort? What percentage is that of their GDP? How about other countries? What has Malaysia done? Or Vietnam? Or the PI? I could go on and on, but what's the point. You're going to hate Thailand and everything for which it stands for, which is why you wouldn't want to live here. Wait, you still do. <deleted>? And by the way, I donate to various charities every single year, not that it's relevant to the current discussion. But I'm sure you bring it up to make some sort of point.

You seem to be the master of useless information. If you would spend as much time working as you do digging around for anti-Thai info (or making stuff up), perhaps you wouldn't be "broke" and have to sponge off your wife. You're seriously veering off point here, but whatever. One could attack pretty much any country for "not doing enough." But since you brought it up, what percentage of that $500 million that Japan donated went to Japanese companies and Japanese individuals involved in that relief effort? What percentage is that of their GDP? How about other countries? What has Malaysia done? Or Vietnam? Or the PI? I could go on and on, but what's the point. You're going to hate Thailand and everything for which it stands for, which is why you wouldn't want to live here. Wait, you still do. <deleted>? And by the way, I donate to various charities every single year, not that it's relevant to the current discussion. But I'm sure you bring it up to make some sort of point.

It amazes me how people think they can sum up someone they don't know by just reading a few paragraphs of something they wrote. At any rate, you ask a couple of good questions so I'll try to answer. I'm online today trying to help my friends in Japan with requested online research and information. I don't work here in Thailand because I'm not allowed to work in Thailand. I'm semi-retired, living here here in Thailand for half the year on my savings--after having starting and run a small company for 30-years--not on my wife's salary as a translator. The other half of the year I do still work, but is is largely pro bono by choice, and my wife works on her translation remotely via the Internet because she is allowed to work in our other country. I'm broke because I have no income and live purely off my savings, which is okay for the modest lifestyle I choose, and also because I have no debt.

I don't live in Malaysia or the P.I. or Vietnam (although I did almost die there), so I leave it up up to those people to hold their own governments responsible for their actions and inaction's. In turn, I believe it is my responsibility to try and make my governments--as best I can as an individual--responsible for their actions and inaction's. That is what I'm trying to do today; because doing nothing or little is a conscious decision.

You attempt the same argument here that I see almost every day on these boards: namely that if someone else, somewhere else does something bad, or doesn't do something good, that it somehow makes it okay for you (or your country or tribe or family) to do it, too. Whatever happened to "two wrongs don't make a right?" If others on a street don't stop to help, does that mean it's okay for you not to stop and help, either? That's the basis of the argument you're trying to promote?

In answer to your question, I believe Japan's 2004 tsunami aid of $500 Million was about .115% of their GNP. I don't know what percent of that went to Japanese companies, and I'm not sure how to find that out. I only know that most of Thailand's emergency aid is going to Thais because they said so this morning on the Thai news. I do know that Japan is one of if not the largest investors in Thailand (it's not the other way around), and I know they step up and try to help with every natural disaster worldwide. They provide serious, well-financed, well-trained resources. So why then is Thailand doing little or nothing to help them in return? And why are you trying to defend that? Isn't that Thailand shooting itself in the foot?

And you're wrong, I do enjoy Thailand--but mostly just the people and food; not the politics, government and pervasive corruption. I'll make no attempt at defending that; and I'll continue to question all that do.

Finally, you bring up a great question: what really does Thailand stand for? In my own way, I've been asking that question all day. It's the same question that I'd like to see asked of the Thai MP's and the Thai government, in general. Educate me: what do you think it stands for?

It amazes me how people think they can sum up someone they don't know by just reading a few paragraphs of something they wrote. At any rate, you ask a couple of good questions so I'll try to answer. I'm online today trying to help my friends in Japan with requested online research and information. I don't work here in Thailand because I'm not allowed to work in Thailand. I'm semi-retired, living here here in Thailand for half the year on my savings--after having starting and run a small company for 30-years--not on my wife's salary as a translator. The other half of the year I do still work, but is is largely pro bono by choice, and my wife works on her translation remotely via the Internet because she is allowed to work in our other country. I'm broke because I have no income and live purely off my savings, which is okay for the modest lifestyle I choose, and also because I have no debt.

I don't live in Malaysia or the P.I. or Vietnam (although I did almost die there), so I leave it up up to those people to hold their own governments responsible for their actions and inaction's. In turn, I believe it is my responsibility to try and make my governments--as best I can as an individual--responsible for their actions and inaction's. That is what I'm trying to do today; because doing nothing or little is a conscious decision.

You attempt the same argument here that I see almost every day on these boards: namely that if someone else, somewhere else does something bad, or doesn't do something good, that it somehow makes it okay for you (or your country or tribe or family) to do it, too. Whatever happened to "two wrongs don't make a right?" If others on a street don't stop to help, does that mean it's okay for you not to stop and help, either? That's the basis of the argument you're trying to promote?

In answer to your question, I believe Japan's 2004 tsunami aid of $500 Million was about .115% of their GNP. I don't know what percent of that went to Japanese companies, and I'm not sure how to find that out. I only know that most of Thailand's emergency aid is going to Thais because they said so this morning on the Thai news. I do know that Japan is one of if not the largest investors in Thailand (it's not the other way around), and I know they step up and try to help with every natural disaster worldwide. They provide serious, well-financed, well-trained resources. So why then is Thailand doing little or nothing to help them in return? And why are you trying to defend that? Isn't that Thailand shooting itself in the foot?

And you're wrong, I do enjoy Thailand--but mostly just the people and food; not the politics, government and pervasive corruption. I'll make no attempt at defending that; and I'll continue to question all that do.

Finally, you bring up a great question: what really does Thailand stand for? In my own way, I've been asking that question all day. It's the same question that I'd like to see asked of the Thai MP's and the Thai government, in general. Educate me: what do you think it stands for?

Atsiii--this guy ?--is a wind up merchant full of his own importance and fails to see -and doesn't want to know-about the insensitive remarks made--his comments are all my eye and betty martin !!---best to side step this one. remember how he feels about our criticism....we are pric#s and loonies he said in reply to my post. that I thougt was fair comment --posted 1509-read #12

Edited by ginjag

I knew someone would bring up the MSNB comment. What you did not mention was that he has condemned, told off, and chastised for his comments. MSNBC apologized and the person said he mispoke. and made repeated apologies. The newspaper commentaries that you refer to are focusing on the strength of Japan and its ability to recover. Those articles have tact and compassion. Have you read them? The WSJ, Times etc. aren't publishing thoughtless articles on the subject.

The boldface is exactly my point. It's not you personally, but the various other idiots on these boards that give foreigners a bad name in Thailand. You think you're making "constructive criticisms" when in fact, you (and many like you) are just insulting. Do you really think your comments are going to amount to anything on this predominantly farang website? I doubt many influential Thais read farang-forums, but if they did, I wouldn't blame them for hating every farang that they meet. I'm repulsed by many of the comments here and I have many farang friends. Wonderful people. Somehow, when they get on an anonymous forum, they say the stupidest things.

And your other comment, that "(you) leave it up to those people to hold their own governments responsible for their actions." Bravo! So how about leaving the Thais to hold their own government responsible.for their actions. Or can you not practice what you preach?

The boldface is exactly my point. It's not you personally, but the various other idiots on these boards that give foreigners a bad name in Thailand. You think you're making "constructive criticisms" when in fact, you (and many like you) are just insulting. Do you really think your comments are going to amount to anything on this predominantly farang website? I doubt many influential Thais read farang-forums, but if they did, I wouldn't blame them for hating every farang that they meet. I'm repulsed by many of the comments here and I have many farang friends. Wonderful people. Somehow, when they get on an anonymous forum, they say the stupidest things.

And your other comment, that "(you) leave it up to those people to hold their own governments responsible for their actions." Bravo! So how about leaving the Thais to hold their own government responsible.for their actions. Or can you not practice what you preach?

We INSULTING--after calling many of posters ===Pricks and Loonies==So I am repulsed at your shizen remarks to people who don't hold YOUR view.--so all you post is not stupid 555555555

Reporting that these people have said utterly stupid and insensitive things is not the issue, it is THAT they have said utterly thoughtless things.

You may not think it is worth reporting and commenting on, but it shows a pattern. It is news, if not surprising, that these ministerial mouth pieces are so clueless.

And certainly that CNBC guy needs a new line of work, what a moron. Yes of course there will be economic affects from this, and to some extent need to be adress, but with a modicum of good taste too.

And this is not being displayed in several instances, but of course not all and so those that HAVE shown no good taste need to be shown for such.

Of coures it IS possible to say something, and by the time it is edited and in press, but in changed context, it does NOT say what was intended.

Yes - again another good post and this is about as tasteless as former TAT Governor, Juthamas Siriwan talking tourism when the bodies were barely cold in Phuket. Thai's have very little EQ. IQ is doubtful as well but EQ is zero - non existent.

I have no doubt that many of those with responsibility for tourism in government departments throughout the region are quitely considering the same problems, but only in Thailand would anyone ever think of voicing them.

Once again, the insensitivity that exists here is so strongly highlighted.

I knew someone would bring up the MSNB comment. What you did not mention was that he has condemned, told off, and chastised for his comments. MSNBC apologized and the person said he mispoke. and made repeated apologies. The newspaper commentaries that you refer to are focusing on the strength of Japan and its ability to recover. Those articles have tact and compassion. Have you read them? The WSJ, Times etc. aren't publishing thoughtless articles on the subject.

Yes, I've been reading plenty of international business articles, they are no different than what is written here. Larry Kudlow apologized because what he said was out of line. If he had said the exact same kind of things as are in this article, like countless articles around the world are doing, no one would have said anything about it.

Watching one of the news channels today and they reported lines at airport with foreigners and many Japanese wanting to leave Japan. If Thailand wants Japanese tourist they may be missing a opportunity that is looking them in the face. Send aid articles to Japan and bring those wanting to leave back to Thailand on the same plane.