Posted Images

from the Italian news agency ANSA

(ANSA) - BANGKOK, 16 MAR - Tre proiettili calibro 11, in un

agguato che la polizia thailandese ha definito ''da

professionisti'' e dal movente ancora sconosciuto, a pochi

minuti dalle spiagge di Phuket: e' morto cosi' Luciano Butti,

nato a Montevarchi (Arezzo) 60 anni fa, ma residente dal 1991

nel paradiso tropicale di Phi Phi, dove era scampato per un

soffio allo tsunami del 26 dicembre 2004.

Il cadavere dell'uomo e' stato rinvenuto ieri in tarda serata

vicino alla cascata di Bang Pae, nella parte settentrionale

dell'isola, accanto alla moto che aveva noleggiato. Gli

inquirenti sono sulle tracce di ''diversi uomini'' visti

allontanarsi su una berlina; la precisione dei colpi - tutti tra

il petto e la clavicola - e il fatto che nei pantaloncini di

Butti siano stati lasciati quasi 22 mila baht (520 euro) in

contanti, fanno pensare a un delitto premeditato. Alcuni segni

sul polso indicano una possibile colluttazione in precedenza.

Butti si divideva spesso tra Phi Phi e Phuket, dove proprio

oggi avrebbe dovuto concludere con un accordo economico la causa

di divorzio dalla moglie tedesca, da cui aveva avuto un figlio.

A Phi Phi - l'isola resa famosa dal libro e poi dal film ''The

Beach'' - il suo ristorante ''Ciao Bella'' era un'istituzione

dal 1997, e insieme a un socio Butti gestiva anche alcuni

bungalow adiacenti al locale.

Lui stesso paragonava Phi Phi, in cui si era imbattuto per un

imprevisto nel 1987 quando era ancora incontaminata dal turismo,

a ''una bella donna da amare''. Nel dicembre 2004, il suo

''paradiso'' - come lo definiva - si tramuto' improvvisamente in

un inferno che per poco non gli costo' la vita: lo tsunami rase

il suolo il suo ristorante e lo costrinse a una fuga precipitosa

verso le colline interne, assieme al suo personale. Da quella

esperienza nacque un libro, ''Tsunami: scusate se non sono uno

scrittore ma un sopravvissuto'', con parte del ricavato devoluto

ai superstiti dell'isola.

Un anno e mezzo dopo, il ''Ciao Bella'' <deleted> riaperto. Butti

viene ricordato come ''gentile e generoso'' da un ex cliente. Un

fan di Barack Obama, ma anche di Massimo Troisi e Roberto

Benigni. Le sue foto mostrano un uomo gioviale, solare, sempre

pronto a una partita di beach volley con i clienti. Sulla sua

pagina Facebook, aveva messo come citazione preferita ''Tutti i

mali non vengono per nuocere. Forse un giorno anche la mia morte

fara' felice qualcuno''. Per ora, rimane un mistero irrisolto.

(ANSA).

"Thalang police found three 11mm bullet casings and three unspent 11mm bullets at the scene"

I wonder why there were 3 unspent shells at the scene also. A dirty semi-auto that kept jamming or a malfunctioning gun. It just seams odd to me that they would find them there.

Good point 'rammis35'! Point of order; Jamming and malfunction, same thing, but a correct assumption I think, maybe old and worn out weapon, possibly a Chinese gat, could even be a new Chinese semi hand gun, they are not known for being reliable and three live rounds left at the scene would indicate at least 3 stoppages.

Interesting; the guy was shot 4 times, 3 live rounds found, 3 empty cases……………where is the other empty case? I believe, (from what I've read) the weapon jammed a fourth time, not ejecting the spent case, leaving it in the chamber, that's why only 3 and not 4 empty cases were not found at the scene.

Or one round that hit his wrist travelled on for a second hit. :huh:

Good point, but I can only go on the information given…He was said to have been shot 4 times. But yes it's always a possibility. Something else, 11mm, my guess a .44 or a .45 very common in Thailand, it's a big hand gun, and takes some control to use accurately. Take in to account the stoppages the shooter had and the nerves, unless he was standing right next to the victim, he did bloody well to hit this guy 4 times out of 4 shots, either a good shoot or very lucky. I don't believe he fired any more than 4 times, as he didn't pick up the 3 empty cases found there why would he have picked any others up.

11mm, big round, one enough to immobilise, the rest point blank range. :huh:

"Thalang police found three 11mm bullet casings and three unspent 11mm bullets at the scene"

I wonder why there were 3 unspent shells at the scene also. A dirty semi-auto that kept jamming or a malfunctioning gun. It just seams odd to me that they would find them there.

Good point 'rammis35'! Point of order; Jamming and malfunction, same thing, but a correct assumption I think, maybe old and worn out weapon, possibly a Chinese gat, could even be a new Chinese semi hand gun, they are not known for being reliable and three live rounds left at the scene would indicate at least 3 stoppages.

Interesting; the guy was shot 4 times, 3 live rounds found, 3 empty cases……………where is the other empty case? I believe, (from what I've read) the weapon jammed a fourth time, not ejecting the spent case, leaving it in the chamber, that's why only 3 and not 4 empty cases were not found at the scene.

Or one round that hit his wrist travelled on for a second hit. :huh:

Good point, but I can only go on the information given…He was said to have been shot 4 times. But yes it’s always a possibility. Something else, 11mm, my guess a .44 or a .45 very common in Thailand, it’s a big hand gun, and takes some control to use accurately. Take in to account the stoppages the shooter had and the nerves, unless he was standing right next to the victim, he did bloody well to hit this guy 4 times out of 4 shots, either a good shoot or very lucky. I don’t believe he fired any more than 4 times, as he didn’t pick up the 3 empty cases found there why would he have picked any others up.

Or very practiced and in certain knowledge the casings would not be used as evidence ... geddit? Duh.

So he wasn't robbed then? Thus the motive for murder was something else? Who carries around 22k baht (unless you are going to buy something expensive but then you can get a bank cheque or use a credit/debit card).

No wallet. Who goes ANYWHERE without a wallet? So chances are he WAS robbed since the wallet was gone, but they didn't think to check his shorts. However, robbery may or may not have been the motive.

I never go ANYWHERE with a wallet. It is a single point of failure and if it is lost or stolen then a lot of effort is required to put things back in order.

I never carry a wallet in Thailand either.

So he wasn't robbed then? Thus the motive for murder was something else? Who carries around 22k baht (unless you are going to buy something expensive but then you can get a bank cheque or use a credit/debit card).

No wallet. Who goes ANYWHERE without a wallet? So chances are he WAS robbed since the wallet was gone, but they didn't think to check his shorts. However, robbery may or may not have been the motive.

I never go ANYWHERE with a wallet. It is a single point of failure and if it is lost or stolen then a lot of effort is required to put things back in order.

I never carry a wallet in Thailand either.

Me neither, nothing to put in it. :crying:

life seems to be worthless in Phuket, and other tourist areas of Thailand. It is not just confined to foreigners as evidenced by the murders in Phuket of the unfortunate woman developer and her daughter recently. Land and property have huge, huge profits for the investors in these areas. The absurd Thai law on land ownership I am sure does not help as, in my mind, it can encourage the Thai partner to take over the whole project by hook or by crook. Corruption and violence are rife in the land of smiles(??)

I have no idea of what this poor man did or what he was involved in, but he sure did not deserve to be killed like a rabid dog. The news from Thailand these days does not make for a civilised, lawful future at all.

I have a long time friend on Phuket who is now in hiding and under police protection along with with his children. Again over property, and fraud. The fraudulent theft and sale of his properties, cars, bank accounts and furnishings by his partner (now thankfully in jail) was seemingly aided and abetted by, amongst others, local officials. A local lawyer is also coming up in the investigation. He has told me only this week that he has become aware of many many more foreigners who have been defrauded out of their own properties. It seems to be happening regularly.

The official corruption and violence he has faced over the past 9 months has been horrendous. More anon on this as the case is currently in the courts and under further investigation. I am glad to report that the case is very much going his way.

Edited by harleyclarkey

The more that I read comments on ThaiVisa, the more I believe the IQ of most commenters is less than 70.

I understand why many Thais think farang are stupid. Many people on this forum constantly prove that assumption.

Mahalo nui loa, Thank you very much, you took the words right out of my heart, to many people just talk the talk and

seldom ever walk the walk, if BS was music, most would be a brass band, cha,cha,cha, "most" not all.

Anyone prepared the wager what the police investigation will conclude as to the cause of death in the this case ?......:whistling:

BTW...well done to the Phuket Gazzette for not posting the persons name or splashing a copy of the photo page of the guys passport all over the internet, giving the deceased person concerned a little dignity in death

The "rags" in Pattaya could learn something

suicide?

Italian to English translation by Google for the Limpdick Dracy

detectives on ThaiVisa to create more BS scenarios:

Three 11 caliber bullets, in a

ambush that the Thai police to be called''

professionals''and the motive remains unknown, a few

minutes from the beaches of Phuket and 'dead so' Luciano Butti,

born in Montevarchi (Arezzo) 60 years ago but who since 1991

in the tropical paradise of Phi Phi, where he had escaped a

blow to the tsunami of December 26, 2004.

The body of the man and 'was found late last night

close to the Bang Pae Waterfall in the north

island, next to the bike which had hired. The

Investigators are on the trail of several men''seen''

away on a sedan, the accuracy of the shots - all from

the chest and collar bone - and the fact that in shorts

Butti have been left nearly 22 000 baht (520 €) in

cash, suggest a premeditated crime. Some signs

indicate a possible scuffle on the wrist earlier.

Butti is often shared between Phi Phi and Phuket, where its

Today should have concluded an agreement with the Economic Case

German divorce from his wife, with whom he had a son.

At Phi Phi - the island made famous by the book and the movie''The

Beach''- his''restaurant''was an institution Hello Beautiful

since 1997, and together with a partner Butti also ran some

bungalow adjacent to the premises.

He was comparing Phi Phi, which was undefeated for a

unexpectedly in 1987 when he was still untouched by tourism,

to''a nice woman to love.'' In December 2004, his

''Paradise''- as he called it - is through 'suddenly

an inferno that nearly cost the 'life: the tsunami razed

the ground on his restaurant and forced him to a stampede

towards the inland hills, along with his staff. From that

experience came a book,''Tsunami: Sorry I am not a

writer, but a survivor,''with the proceeds donated

survivors on the island.

A year and a half later,''''Hello Beautiful was reopened. Butti

is remembered as kind and generous''''by a former client. A

Fans of Barack Obama, but also to Massimo Troisi and Roberto

Benigni. His photos show a man jovial, cheerful, always

ready for a game of beach volleyball with your customers. On his

Facebook page, he had put as a favorite quote''All

evils are not to harm. Maybe one day my death

Will make 'someone happy.'' For now, it remains an unsolved mystery.

Edited by aguy30

Possible causes:

- business competition

- greedy wife

- love triangle

- road rage

- crime by crazy

German divorce from his wife

wife +1

Edited by manarak

I can't imagine someone carrying around 22,000 baht. That is enough money to last you a week or two. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine someone carrying around 22,000 baht. That is enough money to last you a week or two. :rolleyes:

A decent night out on the town....:rolleyes:

Italian to English translation by Google for the Limpdick Tracy

detectives on ThaiVisa to create more BS scenarios:

Three 11 caliber bullets, in a

ambush that the Thai police to be called''

professionals''and the motive remains unknown, a few

minutes from the beaches of Phuket and 'dead so' Luciano Butti,

born in Montevarchi (Arezzo) 60 years ago but who since 1991

in the tropical paradise of Phi Phi, where he had escaped a

blow to the tsunami of December 26, 2004.

The body of the man and 'was found late last night

close to the Bang Pae Waterfall in the north

island, next to the bike which had hired. The

Investigators are on the trail of several men''seen''

away on a sedan, the accuracy of the shots - all from

the chest and collar bone - and the fact that in shorts

Butti have been left nearly 22 000 baht (520 €) in

cash, suggest a premeditated crime. Some signs

indicate a possible scuffle on the wrist earlier.

Butti is often shared between Phi Phi and Phuket, where its

German divorce from his wife, with whom he had a son.

At Phi Phi - the island made famous by the book and the movie''The

Beach''- his''restaurant''was an institution Hello Beautiful

since 1997, and together with a partner Butti also ran some

bungalow adjacent to the premises.

He was comparing Phi Phi, which was undefeated for a

unexpectedly in 1987 when he was still untouched by tourism,

to''a nice woman to love.'' In December 2004, his

''Paradise''- as he called it - is through 'suddenly

an inferno that nearly cost the 'life: the tsunami razed

the ground on his restaurant and forced him to a stampede

towards the inland hills, along with his staff. From that

experience came a book,''Tsunami: Sorry I am not a

writer, but a survivor,''with the proceeds donated

survivors on the island.

A year and a half later,''''Hello Beautiful was reopened. Butti

is remembered as kind and generous''''by a former client. A

Fans of Barack Obama, but also to Massimo Troisi and Roberto

Benigni. His photos show a man jovial, cheerful, always

ready for a game of beach volleyball with your customers. On his

Facebook page, he had put as a favorite quote''All

evils are not to harm. Maybe one day my death

Will make 'someone happy.'' For now, it remains an unsolved mystery.

all this talk about a wallet. as far as im concerned carrying a wallet is same as carrying all your eggs in one basket. one hit and you lose the lot. a mugger would have to strip search me and "fine tooth comb" my body and clothes to find my stashes. i got drugged and robbed in sukhumvit years go. all they got was 120 baht loose change in my back pocket. wallets bah humbug

all this talk about a wallet. as far as im concerned carrying a wallet is same as carrying all your eggs in one basket. one hit and you lose the lot. a mugger would have to strip search me and "fine tooth comb" my body and clothes to find my stashes. i got drugged and robbed in sukhumvit years go. all they got was 120 baht loose change in my back pocket. wallets bah humbug

Drugged :huh:

So there's a Bungalow business up for grabs. Unless of course some Thai Lady happened to be the partner and she keeps the lot. At least it should see the Police bothering to visit Phi Phi and make a few enquiries. For example, ' Your husband just got shot. Any chance of the bungalow complex at discount? Oh, and where were you?'

No doubt it'll be yet another death by misadventure. The Police concluding that he ran into 4 stray bullets that happened to be passing at the time. It happens ...................... in Thailand.

If the Police found 22,100 baht then how much did they not find in the wallet?

And their amazingly vigilant response is not to cordon the scene, put up road blocks or gather witness statements, but it is to contact the motorbike rental owner and tell him him the bad news; bike's been crashed mate. Worse still he's dead so has got out of paying the over priced repairs. Falangs eh? And worse still the Police lose out on getting their share.

Life can be cruel. So can death.

But I admire the sensitivity of the Press. No naming or photograph. Well that should ease the family's grief at learning how he was shot and left to die from his wounds and that there'll be no justice whatsoever or arrest.

Thailand.

It amazes me that you are still here in Thailand - I cannot find one positive statement or comment in your post, just plainly rude, insinuating and insulting, Hmmmm maybe not even 'plainly'! You have accused the police of stealing, his partner of colluding, and in general, Thais' and Thailand to be a Hell away from Hell. Why don't you return to the delights of whichever land you left and get mugged there, THEN complain! Why ARE you here? Maybe the guy had upset someone, that remains to be seen, but stop and think for a minute - you are upsetting many people! (Sorry Mr Editor if this is a bit of a diatribe - but invidious and bigoted people just anger me)

Well, UncleKleef, have you not been in Thailand for 5 or more years? Housepainter, tongue in cheek, (I thought somewhat comical) stated the standard operating procedure of Thailand's Law Enforcement, (those 2 words should never be in the same sentence), and what makes it comical to me, stated very accurately what we all read about in similar crimes, or mysterious demises of people here. Lighten up and get a sense of humor, without thinking too much.

yes spot on KEEP AN EYE ON THE THAI WIFE !!! OR GIRLFRIEND !!!

AS EVERYONE KNOWS IN THAILAND YOU HAVE TO PUT IN A THAI PERSONS NAME

A BUNGALOW !! SO WITH GREEDY EYES FIXED ON IT MUST BE AT LEAST 5MILLION BAHT

BUSINESS AS THERE PROBABLY WILL BE ABOUT 5 BUNGALOWS USED FOR RENTING OUT !!

TOO MUCH OF A TEMPTATION FOR A GREEDY THAI NOT SATISFIED WITH A HUSBAND OR BOYFRIEND

WHO BRINGS HOME THE BACON !!! THEY WANT IT THEMSELVES !!! WITH POSSIBLY THE HELP OF THE

SECRET BOYFRIEND ON THE SIDE !!! ABSOLUTELY 100 % NO CHANCE OF IT BEEN A ROBBERY AS HE STILL HAD

22,000 BT IN HIS SHORTS !! PHI PHI ISLANDS IS WELL TUCKED AWAY SO IT WILL BE KEPT QUIET !!! THATS WHY I FOR ONE

WOULD NEVER DO BUSINESS OR EVEN STAY OFF THE BEATEN TRACK WITH DEVIOUS ILL INTENTIONED GREEDY PEOPLE

WAITING IN THE SHADOWS !!! REST IN PEACE !!! UNFORTUNATELY THE PERSON OBVIOUSLY THAI WILL KNOW THEY WILL GET OFF

LENIENTLY AS OF COURSE THEY ARE THAI !!! A BIG ENOUGH REASON TO MURDER SOMEONE !!! SAME AS IN CHAING MAI THOSE POOR

INNOCENT PEOPLE WHO DIED THERE FOUND OUT TO THERE COST TWO OF THEM IN THEIR 20S ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE THERE ASWELL

THAT IT WAS COINCIDENCE !! MAKE SURE YOU NEVER PUT PROPERTY IN A THAI SPOUSES NAME OR YOU TOO COULD SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES !!

Drugged :huh:

yes really. the girls took me back to my apartment in a taxi saying to reception that i was just drunk. but reception knows me and knows what im like so they called the police.

i slept through it all. 24 hours sleep. felt GREAT when woke up but knew nothing about it all that happened. even police throwing water on me and shaking me

they had to let the girls go because they couldnt wake me to press charges or make a complaint.

TOO MUCH OF A TEMPTATION FOR A GREEDY THAI NOT SATISFIED WITH A HUSBAND OR BOYFRIEND

WHO BRINGS HOME THE BACON !!! THEY WANT IT THEMSELVES !!! WITH POSSIBLY THE HELP OF THE

SECRET BOYFRIEND ON THE SIDE !!! ABSOLUTELY 100 % NO CHANCE OF IT BEEN A ROBBERY AS HE STILL HAD

22,000 BT IN HIS SHORTS !! PHI PHI ISLANDS IS WELL TUCKED AWAY SO IT WILL BE KEPT QUIET !!! THATS WHY I FOR ONE

WOULD NEVER DO BUSINESS OR EVEN STAY OFF THE BEATEN TRACK WITH DEVIOUS ILL INTENTIONED GREEDY PEOPLE

WAITING IN THE SHADOWS !!! REST IN PEACE !!! UNFORTUNATELY THE PERSON OBVIOUSLY THAI WILL KNOW THEY WILL GET OFF

LENIENTLY AS OF COURSE THEY ARE THAI !!! A BIG ENOUGH REASON TO MURDER SOMEONE !!! SAME AS IN CHAING MAI THOSE POOR

INNOCENT PEOPLE WHO DIED THERE FOUND OUT TO THERE COST TWO OF THEM IN THEIR 20S ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE THERE ASWELL

THAT IT WAS COINCIDENCE !! MAKE SURE YOU NEVER PUT PROPERTY IN A THAI SPOUSES NAME OR YOU TOO COULD SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES !!

Absolutely

Edited by Randee

Just a thought

But is the Bungalow business one of the thousands of Thai resorts businesses?

Where married men go for a bit of discreet nooki with their " number 2 wife " ( leave it to your imagination what the possibilities could be )

It seems strange to me 4 shots, plenty cash in the shorts not in his wallet and a business in Phi Phi.

I know that too many expats do run cafes and we know who are the main customers and workers there.

Not judging, just let see what are the next opinions.....

I don't get it, what is strange? 4 shots? cash in the shorts? I keep my cash in my shorts, not a wallet, a business in Phi Phi? Is that strange? 22 000 baht is simply one trip to the ATM. Robbery is clearly not the motive, it seems this poor guy has upset someone. I hope the police catch the murderers quickly.

Can you get 22,000 out of an ATM.

Also I don't think they said he dent have a wallet just that the money wasn't in his wallet.

You'd think there would be better ways of robbing people.

I feel for his family and rest in peace.

But if the bungalow is in her name anyway why would she kill him? Wouldn't a divorce be easier? It's legally hers all ready ye?

Not the best conspiracy theory.

I'm sorry but I am staggered by some of these

comments.

You make judgements without facts, displaying cynicism about every aspect of this man’s character and existence in this country, where both he was and you are all guests. All this with no consideration to local crime trends (Research it I’m not going to spoon feed you). To continue your "Victor Melldrew" attitude you then insult the character of all Thais - again without fact or evidence.

It is little wonder that the ex-pat community in this country is being viewed by more and more of the native populous as being a hindrance rather than an enhancement to their development as a nation. If you dislike the Thai people, their culture and this country so much and have nothing good to say or feel about it then return to your native lands and allow the rest of us to repair the scars you leave behind you.

I truly hope that this victims family never have the misfortune of reading the inconsiderate comments posted here by so many dispassionate and selfish individuals.