Cat Cdma

I'm fed up with my current ISP and am thinking about switching over to CAT CDMA wireless, and was wondering if I could get some feedback. I'm about 2K from CAT's tower, and my understanding is there aren't many people sharing the signal, so in theory I should be able to get decent speeds.

Also, are there any user restrictions on their service? For example (and speaking in a purely hypothetical manner ), if someone were to want to download a torrent, would they be able to do so, or would access to this type of download be blocked by CAT?

And on a somewhat unrelated note, I would appreciate it if someone would recommend which USB modem I should choose.

http://www.catcdma.com/th/product-modem.rhtml

Any comments or suggestions regarding recent CAT CDMA experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!

There many threads discussing CATCDMA, try hitting the "Quick search" at the top right of the page....

Your location will make a difference, personally I find CAT quite acceptable for service & signal... other people not.... it comes down to location location location! & closeness to towers.

At the moment CAT don't seem to have 760 Dongles available in Thailand. So my guess is that they are waiting on new shipment of the next generation... ? They seem to use Novatel Dongles. 850 approx a month, unlimited time... You buy the dongle (when available).... I'd avoid using their cheaper dongles, (2400 baht I think) ......anyone I know who has is not happy with speed....

Dont know your location. Im in Surin and use CAT CDMA modem is the Notel MC727, dont know the cost now but when I bought this about 3 years ago it cost me 8000B. I pay 850 per month unlimited. I down load movies from a torrent no issues. Speed is not great but acceptable.

According to latest news True is rolling out HSPA service in April with CAT.

>Real Move is expected to launch the retail HSPA service in April, followed by CAT in June. HSPA technology is considered superior to the older CDMA (code division multiple access) for broadband applications. Jirayuth said CAT was expected to spend Bt10 billion on developing the HSPA business.

http://j.mp/gMhudj

The only other choice I have is EDGE. Lately Dtac EDGE has been MUCH better than the CAT EVDO service. When EVDO works, it is quite good. Unfortunately those are becoming more and more rare occasions. The service is beginning to remind me of Crapstar satellite dish that I put up with for several years. If I had not paid 10,000 baht for the EVDO modem, I would have cancelled the service by now.

I've used cat cdma internet in chumphon and phuket and it's pretty consistent. I recommend the EC150 USB stick, if they still stock those. If not, then get the Novatel WIFI. the USB stick, you want to go into the desktop application settings and make sure "force evdo only" is on.

(and speaking in a purely hypothetical manner )
I've downloaded at least 100 gb of torrents and/or ftp with no problem and it's not uncommon to leave the connection on for several days at a time.

But the last week or so, the CAT internet has been going in and out. I'm not 100% sure if it is conflicting with the wireless router that my ToT service is connected to. They are within about 3-4 feet of each other.

I have to be honest, ToT (in chumphon) is fast. 6Mbps Down/1 Up. I have no complaints SO FAR (I've read the horror stories here). But the landlord said hers was quick, and she's a friend of the tech. It's been a week and I've already downloaded 150gb or so.