Greek Yogurt

glbv

Don't know about the protein content, but to make Greek yoghurt all you need to do is put the carton/s in some cheesecloth or muslin and let it drain; the longer it drains for the thicker the yoghurt. I've never seen Farmers Union in Chiang Mai, supplies of the local stuff seems to be a bit hit and miss so I've had a few attempts at making my own - it really isn't difficult and the warm weather here means no special equipment needed.

• 2 months later...

Hi - just to let you know that Rimping Supermarkets at both the Wat Ket and Fa Ham stores in Chiang Mai usually stock a quality line of imported yogurt called Farmers Union - a well-known Australian product with both European and Greek styles available.

I recently had a bad stomach complaint. After some tests the Doctor said it was either a bacterial infection and/or a parasite and prescribed the antibiotic Flagyl which would treat both scenarios. This drug certainly did the job, but of course an anti-biotic will strip all bacteria (good and bad) from the intestinal system. The quickest way to restore a healthy stomach flora is with a quality yogurt. But it must be a quality product with some sort of guarantee of reliable levels of live culture containing both species of bacteria S.Thermophilus and L. Bulgaricus. I doubt if a Thai product can guarantee this whereas as it is a lawful requirement from an Australian product advertising its contents.

Other species of Lactobacillus bacteria are also required for balanced digestive system – any fermented cabbage product is the go - just a few serving of Sauerkraut or a 0.5Kg serving of Kimchi takeaway from any Japanese or Korean restaurant – ask for the older 3-day stock - the smellier the better.

Anyway, to cut a long story short – premium quality imported yogurt is available at Rimping supermarket. As a one-stop service; try the imported sauerkraut and kimchi.