Bomb blast kills U.S. soldier in southern Iraq

News_Editor

Bomb blast kills U.S. soldier in southern Iraq

2011-03-21 17:38:27 GMT+7 (ICT)

BAGHDAD (BNO NEWS) -- An American service member died on Sunday as a result of injuries sustained in a bomb blast, the U.S. military confirmed on Monday.

A statement from U.S. Forces - Iraq said a U.S. service member died on Sunday as a result of wounds sustained in an improvised explosive device (IED) attack while conducting a convoy operation in southern Iraq. It did not say when the attack took place.

"The name of the deceased is being withheld pending notification of next of kin and release by the Department of Defense," the statement said, adding that the incident is being investigated. Other details were not immediately released.

The fatality raises the total number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq so far this year to 10, according to a BNO News count based on official information. A total of 60 U.S. service members were killed in Iraq last year, most of whom died as the result of non-hostile incidents.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-21

At least it wasn't somebody drafted and forced to go to Iraq.

Care to expand on your comment?

Who was drafted and forced to go to Iraq?

No one?

Why are you answering zydeco's post? If you have any input, please post it.

Edited by chuckd

Maybe he is comparing it to the Vietnam War when veterans lost the lottery and went off and lost their lives as well. In another filthy war which we had no business in, cost us everything and gained us nothing. Just like Iraq. Just my observation.

May that soldier and all those who have made the ultimate sacrific in the name of politics rest in peace. :jap:

Maybe he is comparing it to the Vietnam War when veterans lost the lottery and went off and lost their lives as well. In another filthy war which we had no business in, cost us everything and gained us nothing. Just like Iraq. Just my observation.

May that soldier and all those who have made the ultimate sacrific in the name of politics rest in peace. :jap:

Actually for the most dangerous years of the Vietnam conflict there was no lottery. Everyone registered for the draft and the men who had deferments did not have to go. At first you could get out of going if you were in college or married but those deferments were dropped as the manpower needs increased. At the height of the war they were even drafting for the Marine Corps. A lot of Americans moved to Canada to escape the draft and were eventually welcomed back into the country.

Then maybe he is wrong for making the comparison.

Why are you defending him? If he is wrong, he is wrong. No amount of justification can make his words correct.

The draft ended early 1973. The Vietnam war ended April 1975.

I will echo your RIP.

At least it wasn't somebody drafted and forced to go to Iraq.

No one?

I didn't answer anything. I had a question. Or what you think question marks are good for?

Actually for the most dangerous years of the Vietnam conflict there was no lottery. Everyone registered for the draft and the men who had deferments did not have to go. At first you could get out of going if you were in college or married but those deferments were dropped as the manpower needs increased. At the height of the war they were even drafting for the Marine Corps. A lot of Americans moved to Canada to escape the draft and were eventually welcomed back into the country.

Interesting insight there Mark45y.

Cheers. :)

Then maybe he is wrong for making the comparison.

Why are you defending him? If he is wrong, he is wrong. No amount of justification can make his words correct.

The draft ended early 1973. The Vietnam war ended April 1975.

I will echo your RIP.

I think we can compare all conflicts together cuz I guess everybody ends up losing.

No one?

I didn't answer anything. I had a question. Or what you think question marks are good for?

You often answer a question with a question. If you have something pertinent to the discussion, then let it rip. If you have nothing to add, then add nothing.

Simple communication skills are all it takes. We're not making nuclear weapons here.