Crime Rate In Bangkok Down 20% As Promised: PM Abhisit

webfact

PM: Crime rate down 20% as promised

BANGKOK, 21 MARCH 2011 (NNT) -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has announced the Government’s success in reducing the crime rate in the capital by 20 percent while planning to expand the effort to fight crimes in other areas.

Chairing a seminar with over 1,600 police investigators at IMPACT Muang Thong Thani, Prime Minister Abhisit lauded them for helping the Government achieve its goal to slash the crime rate by 20 percent. The crime suppression policy was adopted by the Government at the beginning of this year as a New Year’s gift to Thai people. It was piloted in Bangkok and, upon its success, is expected to be applied to the vicinities and large communities across the country.

On this occasion, the Prime Minister encouraged officers to adhere to their tasks ahead of the upcoming general election in order to provide safety for all candidates and voters. He also instructed them to uphold justice and neutrality, citing that they were a crucial mechanism of the judicial system.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-03-21 footer_n.gif

Down 20% since the New Year. Wow that is impressive. Unless of course we are talking Thai New Year that is. I bet they all got a medal to pin on their uniforms, to add to that already dazzling array, they already have :wai:

jb1

20% less crimes reported in Bangkok, to give the PM what he wants to hear. Since he might win best to be nice to him before hand. And of course not counting any Red Shirt crimes around the rallies.

And in exchange for making a huge profit on the unreported crimes.

Edited by animatic

because there was recently no more police activity, than previously, and because there is an economic crisis and more crime related to property, than this statistic is false.

just the usual political propaganda before the general elections

because there was recently no more police activity, than previously, and because there is an economic crisis and more crime related to property, than this statistic is false.

Please share with us your crime statistics, particularly the property-related crime you mention.

Your statistics come from ....? I can't guess about local crime statistics NOR any increase in police presence. Then again there were LOTS of arrests over the preceding months so .... ??

All I can say is, Yea, Right! Ain't it amazing how statistics and reporting can be juggled with a dash of smoke & mirrors to make things look so rosy (or bleak). An election must be coming up.

At first I wondered how this was possible but then remember the arrest of 1,000+ people on drug charges back on December 23rd.

With this many users, dealers and drugs off the street right at the start of the new year it does seem both plausible and logical there would be a significant drop in crime after the New Year.

Edit: Now that I think about it wasn't there numerous drug raids going around the first of the year in a month long crack down on drug offenders? The above was just one day of raids as I recall and think the number of total arrested was significantly higher.

Edited by Nisa

All I can say is, Yea, Right! Ain't it amazing how statistics and reporting can be juggled with a dash of smoke & mirrors to make things look so rosy (or bleak). An election must be coming up.

Nah, nothing to do with upcoming elections. Just a bi-yearly event as far as I remember. Like those TAT statistics on tourists. Same significance as well ;)

Looks like we have a trend going here.

http://www.alternet.org/story/150307/crime_rates_are_plummeting_--_and_no_one_knows_why?akid=6697.257039.aSlIV8&rd=1&t=3

Since no-one in the US knows why, hell, let me take credit. No more far fetched than the Thai story!

After reading these two articles, I no longer feel it necessary to lock my doors when going to the bathroom.

Oooooh! I feel safer already. :cheesy: Perhaps, now the number of tourists dying in Thailand will drop as well. :whistling:

As some members have already mentioned, statistics don't tell the whole truth. If the 20% drop in crime was because of petty offences, then it really makes no difference. You are left with HIGH QUALITY Crimes. ha ha...

Edited by toybits

Looks like we have a trend going here.

http://www.alternet....aSlIV8&rd=1&t=3

Since no-one in the US knows why, hell, let me take credit. No more far fetched than the Thai story!

After reading these two articles, I no longer feel it necessary to lock my doors when going to the bathroom.

Plummeting in the States? Coincidentally, Thai is in the same way....

Down 20% since the New Year. Wow that is impressive. Unless of course we are talking Thai New Year that is. I bet they all got a medal to pin on their uniforms, to add to that already dazzling array, they already have :wai:

jb1

Within the last few months I had to file two police reports because of two crimes committed on my person - one on theft (thief''s identity known to police) and assault (assailant known to police). Both cases weren't followed up by the police - the police reports were just 'locked in a drawer', and my assailant had to pay the princely sum of 200 baht for assaulting me with two baseball-like bats. That way, I have no doubt, Thailand can "reduce" the crime rate by just not following up on reported crimes. :whistling:

20% reduction in 10 weeks. With this achievement they can wipe out crime all together in 12 months. I am sure there are a lot of western police forces around the world who could benifit from the elite Thai Police. Thier crime prevention strategies and investigation skills seem to be equal to none. Thai police should be instructing in police academies around the world. I do not believe this story. Are they refering to crime across the board or a particular crime. If it was one set of offences then it would be believable.

Melbourne, Australia was having a huge problem with street offences (Drunkeness, property damage and assaults) in the night club area generally on Thur, Fri and Sat nights. We started running operations on these nights saturating the streets with roving police. (Zero Tollerance) The level of drunkeness did not change but assaults and damage offences declined dramitically. Those full of piss and bad manners were locked up before they could cause any serious trouble. Street offences in this particular area declined by 70% but this did not impact in the overall crime stats as it was only targeting certain offences in a certain area of the city.

I was just wondering if this is what they did in Bangkok but then use the stats in a misleading way..

This would read like the number of fines handed out to date by the Thai Police, maybe the report on statistics for Helmet Infringements Could read like this :

To date since 2009 a total of 7 traffic fines have been handed out in the whole of Thailand to riders and pillions not wearing helmets! See crime is under control ! No Tickets No Crime !

Tea Money is the best way to combat crime reports and paper work.