Getting A Thai Licence Translated Into English

I've heard that it's possible to go to a Thai driving-licence issuing office and get a normal Thai licence translated into English, so that it looks exactly the same but is in English, to be used as an acceptable licence for insurance purposes in Malaysia and Singapore. It would effectively be a valid IDL for those countries.

Apparently, if translated from a 5 yr Thai licence, it would be valid for the same duration as the original, so costing a lot less and lasting a lot longer than a normal IDL from the normal route (home country, post-office etc).

Has anyone heard about or done this?

Both my 5 yr licences have my name and the first line of my address in English (and all the numbers, too). But the rest is in Thai. I'm talking about getting the whole thing printed in English by the Thai licence office.

Mine were issued in 2550 and are made of paper with a photo stuck on, while my wife has a newer licence than me which is more like a credit card with scanned photo, so maybe there's something there.

Both my 5 yr licences have my name and the first line of my address in English (and all the numbers, too). But the rest is in Thai. I'm talking about getting the whole thing printed in English by the Thai licence office.

Mine were issued in 2550 and are made of paper with a photo stuck on, while my wife has a newer licence than me which is more like a credit card with scanned photo, so maybe there's something there.

Yep, the CC one is the one l meant. :)

Is it possible to change my existing old Thai language licences to the new cc style before they run out?

Yeah go in and tell you lost them and need replacements.

You don't even need to "lose" it. Just ask for an updated version. 15 minutes of your time, 505B (I think??), and you will need a recent address confirmation letter from immigration (or your work permit, or embassy letter??).

From memory you can use this license anywhere in SEA.

Is it possible to change my existing old Thai language licences to the new cc style before they run out?

Yeah go in and tell you lost them and need replacements.

You don't even need to "lose" it. Just ask for an updated version. 15 minutes of your time, 505B (I think??), and you will need a recent address confirmation letter from immigration (or your work permit, or embassy letter??).

From memory you can use this license anywhere in SEA.

Now that might be a problem. I'm currently living in Malaysia on a 2 year contract, and just visiting for Songkhran, where I was hoping to do the licence update on theMonday or Tuesday. I will therefore be on an overland tourist VOA - so I won't be able to get an immigration letter on that, I'm guessing. Do you really need that address proof doc?

Now that might be a problem. I'm currently living in Malaysia on a 2 year contract, and just visiting for Songkhran, where I was hoping to do the licence update on theMonday or Tuesday. I will therefore be on an overland tourist VOA - so I won't be able to get an immigration letter on that, I'm guessing. Do you really need that address proof doc?

I can't speak for other Land Transport offices around the country, but Prachinburi office definately asked for it.