Thai 4x4-import New Vehicle To Uk

Import duty for trucks from Thailand to the UK is 10% if you have a canopy on the back and 22% if not. Dealers in the UK are flogging top spec Vigos for 20K pounds plus VAT, we ship to buyers in the UK and it costs around 17-18K all in on the road.

Model reports are available for Vigos so no problems getting them registered, also no hassle from Toyota for a personal import.

I currently ship around 8-10 per month.

Is this a new vehicle you are importing? If not you don't pay tax if you have personally owned the vehicle for over 12 months - well at least I didn't when importing a car from South Africa.

Disadvantages - all insurances have policies on import cars, although these are being relaxed. Look at Norwich Union Direct web site for a list of import cars they will not insure without special terms (do an online quote to get to the point). Some companies (Churchill for example) will not insure an import car.

Is the model in Thailand exactly like that in the UK - otherwise spares can be very expensive if they have to be imported.

If you do import one you have to pass an MOT to get it registered. The major problem is in emmission control, Thailand's standard might be lower than the UK standard. However if you have a letter from the manufacturers saying that the vehcle meets Thailand emmission control standards then they will give you an MOT, provided you can find a garage prepared to find that line in the regulations.

All this is from my experience and might (easily!) be wrong.

Had a mate that imported a 4X4 from Japan. It was a known model I think - make was at least - but he had to get the windscreen and lights replaced (inferior glass standards!) and the speedo and some other bits and pieces. Terdsak imports Toyaotas, and from his posts above, it seems they meet the registration requirements, but be careful.

Briley,  surely they do an emmission test for the MOT.

I have been out of UK for ten years so I am out of date but that was always part of a MOT.

Do you mean MOT or another test for registration ?

I was told to do an MOT and submit it with the vehicle registration.

Yes the MOT includes an emmission test but the UK standard is stricter than South Africa, so my car failed. However if you have a letter from the manufacturer or like saying that the car meets the standards of the country you are importing from - and you have the figures so they can check the car still meets those standards - then you can get an MOT.

The "Official" import duty for a car engine over 2.5 in the UK is 22% whether you have a canopy or not and British Customs are now picking up on this!

angie

True, but loads of people are still getting away with 10%.

Yep, but better to assume 22% than 10% when costing! (Legal Way)

Know of many people who have been caught out too, after 2 years!

Let your customs clearance agents assign your "Commodity Code"

angie

I agree with angie,

Make sure you have the correct commodity code and check the import rate.

This may help, www.uktradeinfo.com.

Or you can Southend which is the main centre on +44 1702 366077.

We had a shock not long ago when our shipping agents gave customs the wrong code. so its always better to check yourself.

Mike.