British Citizenship Application

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone has applied for this recently and has any idea how long applications are currently taking to go through?....I know it's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but it should be a straight forward app on grounds of marriage. It says 6 months on the application form and I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait this long to have a holiday!!

Many thanks! rolleyes.gif

Waiting times

All applications for citizenship are subject to enquiries to ensure that the statutory requirements have been satisfied. Because of these enquires, we anticipate that applications may take up to six months to complete. Some applications may be dealt with more quickly and some may take longer, depending on the nature of the enquiries to be carried out.

Remember, once the application has been successful, the new citizen will have to attend a Citizenship ceremony and it is only after this that they can apply for a British passport.

Hi Danielson I applied for citizenship for my wife on the 23/01/11,We went to the checking service sent the application on the same day,got a reply from the home office 3 weeks later did the ceromony 2 days later,sent the application for a passport the same day,Did the passport interview,Brand new passport 2 days later,From start to finnish 5 weeks,

Good luck

Hi Danielson I applied for citizenship for my wife on the 23/01/11,We went to the checking service sent the application on the same day,got a reply from the home office 3 weeks later did the ceromony 2 days later,sent the application for a passport the same day,Did the passport interview,Brand new passport 2 days later,From start to finnish 5 weeks,

Good luck

Thanks banpunket - that's the sort of reply I was after!! I'd heard they don't normally take 6 months but wasn't entirely sure what to expect - thanks, and fingers crossed!! rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck

Banpunket, did you hear anything for the first 3 weeks or nothing until their acceptance? I sent it over a week ago and they've not charged the card or sent any acknowledgement yet...is that normal? unsure.gif

Thanks.

Good luck

Banpunket, did you hear anything for the first 3 weeks or nothing until their acceptance? I sent it over a week ago and they've not charged the card or sent any acknowledgement yet...is that normal? unsure.gif

Thanks.

Hi Danielson

Did you go to the checking service at your local council/town hall.My mate also applied a couple of weeks ago and they where late taking his money,

but he got a reply saying they recieved all the documents,once you get this letter we recieved confirmation of a succesful application a week later,again it all depends on how busy they are,Hope this helps in the mean time get your passport application ready,Photos signatures etc

Once again Good Luck

Regards

Banpunket

Good luck

Thanks.

Hi Danielson

Did you go to the checking service at your local council/town hall.My mate also applied a couple of weeks ago and they where late taking his money,

but he got a reply saying they recieved all the documents,once you get this letter we recieved confirmation of a succesful application a week later,again it all depends on how busy they are,Hope this helps in the mean time get your passport application ready,Photos signatures etc

Once again Good Luck

Regards

Banpunket

Hi again,

No, we didn't use the checking service but we did receive the acknowledgement letter yesterday, exactly 2 weeks after submission and they didn't take the money until this point either. So far it seems to be following the same pattern as you and your mate so fingers crossed - I'll come back in a week or so and let you know.

Thanks again,

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. can I ask you (or anyone else) how your application is going, please? The Home Office have just taken the money for my wife's application and we were wondering how long we might have to wait now for a decision. Like others here, we are looking to get a passport so we can start looking at holidays. Thanks very much for any advice or information.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. can I ask you (or anyone else) how your application is going, please? The Home Office have just taken the money for my wife's application and we were wondering how long we might have to wait now for a decision. Like others here, we are looking to get a passport so we can start looking at holidays. Thanks very much for any advice or information.

Hi, we posted the application on 30/3/11 and received an acknowledgement two weeks later confirming receipt of passports, form and card details etc. Since then we've heard nothing and I keep checking the credit card to see if the fee has been charged but as yet it hasn't. I'm a little surprised because others have had the application turned around within 3-4 weeks. Banpunket got from start to finish in 5 weeks, including the issue of the passport but I think he did it early in the year when most haven't thought about holidays so maybe they're not as busy then...??

With your's I would expect you'll hear very soon, taking the fee obviously means they're working on it.

Anyone else??

When did you send it? Did you use the checking service?