Macbook Pro

SoloFlyer

Hey guys;

Got a quote on macbook 13in yesterday in CMai:

i7, 2.7gh, 4gb ram, 500gb HD, intel graphics 3000.

49,900thb;

Extra 4gb ram 4000 thb

parallels 3.8k

win 3.1k (do need to run some win only trading software)

and he said he could put in a 1tb buffallo HD for the cost of the disc only. (3.4k)

I'll be in HK next month - online they are 1 or 2 k THB cheaper, so on that basis I'd buy at home (here), where I could also get the 7pc refund on departure.

Is this the way to go? Are there any new models coming out real soon??

Or would I be better gettin the i5 / 320gb at 39k and then upgrading the HD to 1TB??

Thanks,

MacNoobie

Edited by SoloFlyer

Are you sure its not 4000thb-5000thb cheaper in HK for the i7 base model.

Remember Memory is cheaper in HK and 1TB HD's are cheaper in HK and software is cheaper in HK.

HK is now one of the cheapest places in the world to buy anything Apple.

Plus the savings on your upgrades:

1TB HD in HK = 2600THB

8GB Ram in HK = 2500THB

Edited by negreanu

Righto, thanks for that, I'll get back on their web later and check with them by phone. Do you know if they have a tourist VAT refund thingy??

Any disadvantages in not buying it at residing country?? - Is guarantee same worldwide??

or you could order online in thailand from store.apple.com/th-k12 then pick up the 8gb memory and 1tb hd from mongkok in HK. :)

I would seriously consider stretching to the 15" if you can with 6750 graphics card. It is a dramatic difference from the intel 3000 and also the screen real estate is always welcome.

Although all at a slight increase in weight size (Not that much difference in carrying around a 13" or 15" to be honest)

Performance :

Barefeats

Edited by negreanu

I think I paid less than 3k recently for 8GB at Hardware House - check their website. That was for my MacBook Pro 2009.

They were just refreshed so they're brand new, best time to buy.

Thai prices very competitive, esp. K12! In HK you might get a weirdo (UK-English?) power plug - no big deal to change the plug, but still. In Thailand makes sure to order with English keyboard - unless you plan on typing Thai.

Education prices, as negreanu pointed out above:

http://store.apple.com/th-k12

This is only for students and faculty - but apparently there is no proof required in the Thai Apple store. Saves you a few baht.

Apple generally seems pretty lax with this - I bought my MBP in 2009 in the Palo Alto Apple store; I didn't ask for a discount but the sales rep first asked me if I was a student or faculty. I said no. Then he asked me if I knew anyone who was.... and I was like... well, my friend is Uni faculty... I called him, got his university ID, and got over $300 off the total purchase price.

If you are on an education visa you should have no problems. Then you actually are officially a student / teacher so the discount applies.

I do think they are country specific I am pretty sure if you have a student ID from another country then you don't qualify for k12 discount.

Research how strict they are in HK... But if you walk into an Apple store I am pretty sure they will want to see some ID. If you're ordering online, maybe not...

Anyone know how hard or easy it is to get the K12 deal in HK?

I could be saving close to 15k if I can get it (I'm on an education visa here, should help, right?)

If you have a office or address in HK before you go you can order from apple HK online education discount and have it delivered there.

or you could use shipito.com address in HK as your address if you open an account with them and collect from there or get them to ship it to you in Thailand.

OK, just called HK.

They say they don't have a physical apple store in HK. Delivery would be made to Hotel - needs 6 working days.

Student discount they say they need evidence of being a HK student.

For modifications/customisation, need to order by phone and they will do it (but I cant order and find out the cost until I know where I'll be staying).

How do you guys think I should proceed??

Am looking into shipito for delivery.

I would recommend you to contact DG Lifestyle Store. It´s a chain of stores like Fortress etc. and they are Apple authorized.

I went to their website and checked the prizes on MBP 13" with i7, 700GB HD etc. You know, the top 13" model.

Then I sent an email regarding the upgraded model and if I could order it a couple of weeks prior my arrival and later pick it and this is the response that I got:

Dear Tobias,

Thanks for your enquiry. We can only get you “English US” keyboard in Hong Kong.

We are happy to have the unit ready for you upon your arrival. I may suggest, you

can decide which unit you wanted to buy, cause they might have new update by

the time you visit Hong Kong. Looking forward to see you soon. Thanks.

Reginald Ko

DG Lifestyle Store

So a moth before leaving I´ll make my order and pick it up a couple of blocks away from my hotel.

The prize will be the same as Apple Store online.

Cheers and good luck!

DG Lifestyle is good. Something named xxx Vision is also not bad in Kowloon you will need look at the apple website for the full name.

Most of the HK resellers are only stocking base models. However DG lifestyle in the airport can look at all stock at all locations and tell you which store to go for a specific spec.