Where To Buy A Dog In Chiang Mai

Thaifan2

Must be your lucky day. I saw not more than 1 hour ago a notice for a Labrador (cross Rottweiler) pup for sale on the notice board at Rimping Mee-Chok (inside notice board).

Myself I would be happy with a Soi Dog.....

I volunteer once a week in Hang Dong at CareforDogs.org....basically just socializing and walking many of their dogs on Wednesday

You may have your heart set on a pure bred but if you have a change of heart they have over 100 dogs, many with challenges but many many sweet dogs that just need love and a good home...they do have pupies as well

If you love dogs like me you may want to consider going by and just checking it out...

Their website has a map and just south of the Night Safari

• Like 1

Must be your lucky day. I saw not more than 1 hour ago a notice for a Labrador (cross Rottweiler) pup for sale on the notice board at Rimping Mee-Chok (inside notice board).

Myself I would be happy with a Soi Dog.....

I saw that notice this evening also .Its just one dog B2,000 and not pure bred ( i want to be sure what the dog is going to look like as an adult ) .

Do beware of buying a 'supposidly' pure bred dog from any of the many pet shops [puppy mills] that breed their own inbred, unhealthy dogs without papers to prove parentage. I bought a lab from a local shop and she was a basket full of problems, mentally and physically. There is a very limited gene pool of pure bred dogs here and often 'pure breds' are inbred.

Much better to get a cross bred here or just a plain old soi dog......much less problems.

I bought a poodle there last year, I guess just to save a few baht. Immediately after bringing him home all the problems started. Over the next month, we took at least 10 trips to the vet. Different shots/jabs, medications, test, etc etc. He's fine now. Very playful and has the strange idea that he's a big dog. I've also adopted a thai mutt puppy just a bit after buying the poodle. Other than his immunizations, he's never had a problem. He too thinks he's a big dog.....

Moral to this story? Not sure if there is one. Maybe, if you're trying to save money by buying a dog at this market, you're probably fooling yourself. Are you saving a dog or keeping the puppy mill going by buying from there? Don't know, but dogs are dogs, when they're healthy and happy, it doesn't matter where they're from!

don't don't don't buy from the pet market near airport plaza. Poor dogs :(

David

Maybe sometimes, buying from there IS rescuing a dog.

You know most sundays down at the park near the chiang mai uni they have these guys there that seem to be selling pitbulls.

Unfortunately they seem to test the fight in the dog by putting them nose to nose. Otherwise I would buy one, great dogs if you treat them like an actual k9 rather than some mistreated toy.

I have 6 soi dogs, never owned more affectionate, smart, loving dogs that protect me AND let the kids pull their tales. I could swear they were trained and went to school. My advice (I know you didn't ask but this is TV after all) is when in Thailand ...

don't don't don't buy from the pet market near airport plaza. Poor dogs :(

David

I disagree. I bought a Shitzu Puppy from there 10 years ago, and he is great :)

I have 6 soi dogs, never owned more affectionate, smart, loving dogs that protect me AND let the kids pull their tales. I could swear they were trained and went to school. My advice (I know you didn't ask but this is TV after all) is when in Thailand ...

Soi dogs should be put down IMO ,but i am glad that you are happy with them .Some things are done better in the West .

I am going looking at dogs Monday from a Farang breeder ,near my location .

Soi dogs should be put down IMO ,but i am glad that you are happy with them .Some things are done better in the West .

If you think Soi dogs should be put down are you sure you want a dog...?

Yes ,its just i am against dogs running around unregulated .My dogs will get all the shots for diseases and fleas etc .Will be well fed and watered and loved .

I took a GSX (mostly X) from CareforDogs three years ago. He's now sitting outside my door on the marble floor (which is cooler), and I couldn't ask for a sweeter-natured animal. To complement him I have a ?purebred Toy Poodle which was bred by a relative of my partner; in spite of her size, she's a real dog, and a delight. The two get on great together.

If you ask me to exchange them for a couple of pedigree animals, no thank you.

Edited by isanbirder

Yes ,its just i am against dogs running around unregulated .My dogs will get all the shots for diseases and fleas etc .Will be well fed and watered and loved .

I can see your point about rabid dogs running around. Including their own discomfort,, they can/do attack or endanger other dogs and humans.

Its quite amazing that after all these years and all these dogs that the government does next to nothing, its left upto the "jai dee" z of society.

There are hundereds of puppies for sale on the streets of Chiangmai. If you note there is most likely a small box to leave a donation for puppy food. These puppies are sold to eat, not as pets. But Westerners continue to give their money away to a puppy cause that provides more profit to the seller. To put it a different way, the seller is dranking beer off of you. This isn't downtown London or New York.:o

There are hundereds of puppies for sale on the streets of Chiangmai. If you note there is most likely a small box to leave a donation for puppy food. These puppies are sold to eat, not as pets. But Westerners continue to give their money away to a puppy cause that provides more profit to the seller. To put it a different way, the seller is dranking beer off of you. This isn't downtown London or New York.:o

When you say "sold to eat" what do you mean....?

I don't know of any government sterilization programs, but I know that some of the charity/care groups do sterilization as they can afford to do. carefordogs does a sterilization program, but they could always use a little help/money to keep the programs going.

its a pity they dont have a sterilizing program running it would make everything alittle bit easier keep the buddist theme going by not killing the masses but slowly regulating them

It is as it say's sold (exchanged for money) to eat (prepared to cook and eat) not really that different to buying pork, chicken fish or what ever other meat you eat. If anyone thinks it is different pigs are probably just as intelligent as dogs.

This is the same Urban legend as in the US, we say that half the chicken in Chinese food is actually cat.... Just modified to be used in this thread.

Financially, its a losing proposition to sell puppies for their meat. Why would anyone assume that puppies are cheaper to grow than chickens or, pound for pound, pigs or cows? Simply put, they are not. If there were a market in CM for dogs, they would be sold for much more than the street vendor puppies. There would not be the variety of dogs being sold either. If you look at Korea for example. They actually do have a history of eating dogs. But only certain dogs. Apparently the black dogs have a better flavor....

At best, the person is selling dogs, I'm sure they don't care what you do with it, and keeping the 'donations" for their nightly drinks.

It is as it say's sold (exchanged for money) to eat (prepared to cook and eat) not really that different to buying pork, chicken fish or what ever other meat you eat. If anyone thinks it is different pigs are probably just as intelligent as dogs.

I don't know of any government sterilization programs, but I know that some of the charity/care groups do sterilization as they can afford to do. carefordogs does a sterilization program, but they could always use a little help/money to keep the programs going.

its a pity they dont have a sterilizing program running it would make everything alittle bit easier keep the buddist theme going by not killing the masses but slowly regulating them

CarForDogs first priority is sterilizing dogs. All dogs at the shelter have been sterilized and they have sterilized hundreds, if not thousands, of the dogs living in temples. It costs approximately 800 baht to sterilize a female dog. Here's a link to CareForDog's sterilization program:

http://www.carefordogs.org/sterilisation/sterilisation-summary/

If you think there are too many "soi dogs" please make a donation.

And those who think soi dogs should be "put down" don't have any understanding of Buddhist culture.

Mmm I have heard of soi dogs in Thailand being sold to Korea and Taiwan but regarding the pups in the market etc I never knew of that before. In any case pork and chicken is cheaper to buy than a pup.

As far as I know Thai's dont really eat dog as a delicacy, how do you know this to be true....?

Mmm I have heard of soi dogs in Thailand being sold to Korea and Taiwan but regarding the pups in the market etc I never knew of that before. In any case pork and chicken is cheaper to buy than a pup.

As far as I know Thai's dont really eat dog as a delicacy, how do you know this to be true....?

Ask my brother inlaw it is not something I like at all but they go out stealing dogs, preferably black dogs as they consider them to taste the best.

I've heard that dogs can smell/sense when a person has eaten dog meat. Do you notice dogs barking more than usual around the brotherinlaw?

In any case, animal meat is animal meat. The only difference is we keep dogs as pets. BTW, I've tried a bite of a roasted mouse down south.(not recommended!)

BTW, I guess this is how Indians feel about downing a burger...

Ask my brother inlaw it is not something I like at all but they go out stealing dogs, preferably black dogs as they consider them to taste the best.