Dangerous Or Not?

Ice Maiden

On waking up this morning I had a mossie bite on my eyelid it was only slightly raised so I didn't worry about it and went back to sleep. I then woke up a few hours later and it has gotten a lot worse to the point where my eyelid is half closed. I'm not sure if I should go get medical help or if it will heal in it's own time but it looks pretty harsh.

I remember a friend telling me a while back the eyelid was a dangerous place for poison to be (I'm assuming the raised redness is caused by poison and a reaction) but I am not sure what I should do about it.

Thankyou in advance.

Me and mossie bites, I hope I get immune to them pretty soon.

Edited by Ice Maiden

On waking up this morning I had a mossie bite on my eyelid it was only slightly raised so I didn't worry about it and went back to sleep. I then woke up a few hours later and it has gotten a lot worse to the point where my eyelid is half closed. I'm not sure if I should go get medical help or if it will heal in it's own time but it looks pretty harsh.

I remember a friend telling me a while back the eyelid was a dangerous place for poison to be (I'm assuming the raised redness is caused by poison and a reaction) but I am not sure what I should do about it.

Thankyou in advance.

Ice - I get mosquito bites on my eye lids many times. It feels strange for a while - just don't scratch and it will go away. If it's a bite other than mosquito's, perhaps the antihistomine would help.

The problem with eyes lid is that it is one place that we don't usually put repellant on, thus giving an opening for hungry mosquitos to zero in on.....

Thankyou in advance.

The concern about an eyelid infection is that it might spread and become endophthalmitis. If it were me personally I would probably just ice the swelling and take some antihistamines. As a doctor, I would suggest you to see an eye doctor in order to differentiate it from possibly dangerous problems.

As long as you have no fever and your vision has not been affected substantially (although the swollen eyelid and tearing may decrease vision somewhat), you are probably not in immediate danger.

It is always safer to get a competent medical opinion after examination though.

Thankyou in advance.

The concern about an eyelid infection is that it might spread and become endophthalmitis. If it were me personally I would probably just ice the swelling and take some antihistamines. As a doctor, I would suggest you to see an eye doctor in order to differentiate it from possibly dangerous problems.

As long as you have no fever and your vision has not been affected substantially (although the swollen eyelid and tearing may decrease vision somewhat), you are probably not in immediate danger.

It is always safer to get a competent medical opinion after examination though.

Thankyou :o

Ice Maiden another suggestion, spray room 1/2 hour prior to retiring, buy a good fan leave it on all night mossies are blown off course.

When I first came back to Thailand my other half had an extra extra powerful fan in the bedroom nearly had to wear a bed(seat)belt to prevent me being blown out of bed. :o:D:D

Edited by mijan24