Interview With US Ambassador To Thailand Kristie Kenney

webfact

Back to build on a strong diplomatic relationship

Published on April 2, 2011

30152342-01.jpg

US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney talks to Nation Group editor-in-chief Suthichai Yoon in an exclusive interview covering issues ranging from the US's new outlook on Asia, to Thai politics and the insurgency in the deep South.

Suthichai: About two years ago, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was here in Bangkok. I interviewed her. (Kenney: I saw that tape.) She declared that America is back in Asia. Now you are here as ambassador to Thailand, what are some of the concrete signs that show that America is back in Asia?

Kenney: Both the secretary of state and the president feel very strongly about Asia. Asia is viewed as a future for all of us. Secretary of State Clinton's first foreign trip was to Asia. Thailand was one of the first countries she visited. President Obama has been in the region and he is coming back in November for the East Asian Summit in Indonesia. You also see a lot of concrete things such as the new US ambassador to Asean so that we can interact with Asean, the disaster exercises we are doing with Asean, the Mekong initiative. The practical things, weather forecasting, water management.

Suthichai: What about security?

Kenney: I think we are in Asia for security. But if you want to look at today's issues, look at what the US military is doing in Japan. The minute the earthquake happened, they were coordinating with a lot of our allies.

Suthichai: That's the civilian part of the US military operations. I am talking about real military issues - America versus China.

Kenney: It is not America versus China. I think that's a popular misconception. Now there is healthy economic competition. China's economic growth has been phenomenal for all of us. They have really brought many of us more jobs around the world, more trade around the world. So we don't view it as a competition except for a healthy competition in terms of economics. China is a really important relationship for us.

Suthichai: But Hillary Clinton pointed to the South China Sea conflicts - China against the Philippines and Vietnam. The American government seems to be worried that China is going to act like a big brother, trying to bully the smaller countries, and American will not stand by idly.

Kenney: I think we have been really clear where we disagree with China, like rights issues, some of the disputed territories in South China Sea. They should solve that peacefully, and not a single country should attempt to threaten the others. We have been really clear in the kind of relationship we've got now with China. We are able to talk about the issues. I think that's good for everyone else, and good for Thailand.

Suthichai: When the US government under Obama said we are "back in Asia", my first thought was that the US wants to counter the Chinese influence in Asia.

Kenney: Perhaps in previous years we had not been attentive to Asian countries, had not visited or held any big meetings.

Suthichai: You don't want to comment on the previous US administration?

Kenney: No, I don't.

Suthichai: Something went wrong with the American policy in Asia, right?

Kenney: I think we were not engaging enough. Across Asia there is not only a huge population, but you look at the economic growth. The message across Asia is really clear that if you want to be engaging in the world economy, you have to be in Asia. And I think American businesses have knowm that for years. We realise that we need an ambassador to Asean so that we can interact with the grouping. We need to be present and active.

Suthichai: With that in mind, what is your priotity in Thailand?

Kenney: My priority is to take a very strong friendship - we have been friends with Thailand for 178 years - and make that relevant for the future. We call this the Thai-US Creative Partnership. The idea is to go beyond governments - to cover the private sector, universities and innovators - and move our relationships toward the future.

Suthichai: What are difficulties you are facing trying to solve the Thai-American economic issues, such as anti-dumping tax and GSP?

Kenney: There are a lot of American businesses here and they are happy. They are very pleased to be here. Intellectual property is still a problem. Bilateral trade is good and can be better. We are not competing in terms of products.

Suthichai: So you have no problem working in Thailand?

Kenney: I wish I spoke better Thai. I am learning but it's frustraing. I want to do better.

Suthichai: What is the biggest challenge?

Kenney: Right now, it's getting to understand Thailand because it's so big and so diverse. Reading about it and experiencing it is not exactly the same.

Suthichai: Do you think you understand Thai politics now?

Kenney: Oh, no. The politicians are talking about the election. I am watching and as part of my job I go out meeting different parties and talk to them.

Suthichai: You should be careful about writing your cables after WikiLeaks. How do you adjust to this as a diplomat?

Kenney: Cables are raw information. There are also a lot of e-mails and phone calls. The WikiLeaks thing is frustrating. People talk about freedom of information. That isn't; it is a violation of privacy. What if I stole your iPhone and I published all your e-mail messages. And that to me is what WikiLeaks is.

Suthichai: Did it affect the way you communicate with the State Depatrment?

Kenney: We communicate in various ways. We use cables sometimes. There is e-mailing and Blackberries. We are very careful now.

Suthichai: Burma has undergone a big change. Has the State Department's policy toward Burma changed?

Kenney: The policy has not changed. The US government believes Burma has really yet to engage in any kind of dialogue with its citizens, any kind of reconciliation. I don't see there is any real change yet. We will work with Asean neighbours to try to make change in Burma.

Suthichai: Has Washington been thinking about how to help Thailand and Cambodia become more friendly to each other?

Kenney: It is troubling to see two neighbours who are both friends to the United States have a conflict. Thailand and Cambodia have a good trade relationship and they are Asean members. Our view supported the United Nations' view that this conflict should be handled in the region between the two parties. We support the UN consensus. Cambodia and Thailand can work with Indonesia as the facilitator. We don't see a role for us [the US]. Neither country has asked us to play a role. Indonesia has offered help on behalf of Asean. We said to both countries we can help you find a solution but you have to work it out yourselves.

Suthichai: As a former ambassador to the Philippines, do you see any similarities between the southern Philippines and southern Thailand?

Kenney: I don't think so. I have yet to visit southern Thailand so I am talking about what I hear from people. Right now, it looks different. The Philippines case features some foreign insurgents and foreign influence and groups. The Thai case appears to be a Thailand issue. Also, it [the insurgency] involves a smaller area in your country. It is the violence that is troubling. Again you can find this on TV and in newspapers - Thais are killing Thais.

Suthichai: In the Philippines, the US played quite an important role in helping.

Kenney: We did, at the Philippine government's request. They asked us to provide security and development assistance. That isn't the case here in Thailand. No request so far. We have some programmes together in building capacity for the police and the military. But we have not been asked about security assistance.

Suthichai: But do you think the nature of the insurgency and separatism is more or less similar?

Kenney: Not really. In the Philippines, there are many insurgenct groups, plus known international terrorists, and the problem involves a much larger territory.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-02

Western countries have become nanny states.I am not interested in her opinion expecially having being interviewed by another 'sister' about Asia,.Ive lived here for years. She will do what all Ambassador's do. Go to taxpayer funded shindigs,pat little rug rats on the head and play tennis.

Western countries have become nanny states.I am not interested in her opinion expecially having being interviewed by another 'sister' about Asia,.Ive lived here for years. She will do what all Ambassador's do. Go to taxpayer funded shindigs,pat little rug rats on the head and play tennis.

Ridiculous. Ambassadors play a very important role in our world. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. But the good outweighs the bad. Countries need to have representation around the world. It's truly a global world now and we all have to play together the best we can....

What does 'sister' mean in your context ?

I hope she attends many functions, and pats as many "rug rats" as she can. As too tennis, I am certain she plays golf as well..

Pretty dang sharp lady. I think she does more than pat rug rats and play tennis. From Wiki:

Kristie Anne Kenney (born May 24, 1955 in Washington, D.C.) is an American diplomat and the current United States Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand. She previously served as the United States Ambassador to the Republic of the Philippines. She is the first female U.S. Ambassador to both countries. Kenney holds a Masters degree in Latin American Studies from Tulane University and a Bachelor's degree in Political Science from Clemson University.

Prior to being the US-Philippine Ambassador, Kenney served as the US ambassador to Ecuador. Before working for the United States Foreign Service, she worked as a United States Senate Page, a tour guide in the United States Capitol, an intern in the House of Representatives, and as a staff member of the Senate Human Resources Committee.

At the State Department, she was appointed overseas as Economic Counselor at the United States Mission to International Organizations in Geneva, Economic Officer at the U.S. Embassy in Argentina, and Consular officer at the U.S. Embassy in Jamaica. Back home, she was appointed as Director of the State Department Operations Center, a detail to the White House as a member of the National Security Council staff, and Political-Military Officer in the Office of NATO Affairs.

Kenney served as Executive Secretary of the State Department before becoming Senior Advisor to the Assistant Secretary for International Narcotics and Law Enforcement. She worked for both Secretaries of State Madeleine Albright and Colin Powell and led the State Department's transition team from the Clinton to Bush Administrations.

I enjoyed her response to the wikileaks question. A feeble attempt by Suichai to scold her and she took him to the woodshed. I wonder if this interview was the raw version..

wrongly informed. I think with over 3 million people who had access to the cables one can be certain that it leaked for years to places you may not wish it had. It was news fo the public but never news for various foreign agencies. I'd bet on that.

That lady doesn't need to play hangman without looking a bit deeper into facts.

Edited by elcent