Drillers Strike It Rich Off Thailand

webfact

There was no breath testing when I was changing through Samui. Sounds like you guys were hard done by, flying in to meet the chopper, no night in town, and breath tested to boot.

In early days there was no breath test in Sattahip either , but after a few cases of people falling off the jetty into the water while trying to get on crewboats while drunk and the infamous case of the drilling guy falling over the hotel balcony while drunk, (or was he pushed ?)....the breath test was introduced....:lol:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

200,000 baht......just short of 7,000 dollars .......ooooooooiiiii.......pathetic, for these rich companies poised to exploit......this is not good news.

So I assume you will be suppling the oil and gas to thailand. It isn't explotation it is exploration and you can't do it for nothing.

I don't understand why people begrudge companies making money when they provide such a valuable product.

Yea I bitch about high gas prices but I blame the commodities (futures markets) and gov'ts (policy, taxes etc.) for high prices.

There are only so many companies who can do it and somebody has to do it or I guess we could all do without and leave it in the ground.

What do you propose, a rich benevolent company do it for free? Not Likely

I think the point being made was how little money these mega-rich companies had donated to people hit by the worst floods in living memory!

Think about the vast fortunes involved and then consider how little $7,000 is - each of these bloated parasites could have made a meaningful gesture of say $100,000 and hardly missed it at all...

Together they come up with 1.2 mil Baht. Disgusting. :bah:

Point is, is it's not much money.....it doesn't really matter....I have an opinion ...that's all.

You could compare their "gesture" to one of ....say....Taksin.......lot's of people say he did wonderful things for the country because of some of his "very generous" gestures (in the eyes of some)

200,000 baht......just short of 7,000 dollars .......ooooooooiiiii.......pathetic, for these rich companies poised to exploit......this is not good news.

So I assume you will be suppling the oil and gas to thailand. It isn't explotation it is exploration and you can't do it for nothing.

I don't understand why people begrudge companies making money when they provide such a valuable product.

Yea I bitch about high gas prices but I blame the commodities (futures markets) and gov'ts (policy, taxes etc.) for high prices.

There are only so many companies who can do it and somebody has to do it or I guess we could all do without and leave it in the ground.

No. but I do believe in the principle of reciprocity. Yeah, it's a "Utopian", altruistic kind of a thought.....oh well....

I think the point being made was how little money these mega-rich companies had donated to people hit by the worst floods in living memory!

Think about the vast fortunes involved and then consider how little $7,000 is - each of these bloated parasites could have made a meaningful gesture of say $100,000 and hardly missed it at all...

I didn't miss the point. So you guys think it is their responsibilty what about every company big or small, by your thinking all companies should be responible to donate big bucks to every disater? I think it is the gov't's responsibility first and foremost then the business' and peolpe in the area affected and then the rest of Thailand then the world. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. I am sure the people affected said no thanks to the donations being they were so paltry. So who gets to decide how much everybody has to give, you? Do we need a donation czar (telling everyone how much they must give)? Maybe you could get that job, it sounds like you think you know best. BTW How much did you give, being a rich farang you probably ponied up $7,000 yourself huh?

I didn't miss the point. So you guys think it is their responsibilty what about every company big or small, by your thinking all companies should be responible to donate big bucks to every disater? I think it is the gov't's responsibility first and foremost then the business' and peolpe in the area affected and then the rest of Thailand then the world. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. I am sure the people affected said no thanks to the donations being they were so paltry. So who gets to decide how much everybody has to give, you? Do we need a donation czar (telling everyone how much they must give)? Maybe you could get that job, it sounds like you think you know best. BTW How much did you give, being a rich farang you probably ponied up $7,000 yourself huh?

You make me laugh! I am most certainly not a rich farang; quite the opposite. Even if I were, do you think I would get much adulation and mention in the press for donating $7,000? Its not that big an amount when you consider executive salaries and bonuses today. I am quite sure there are individuals who donate more. That is my point. It is so little it is offensive and wrong to view it in a positive light.

I now regret posting at all - I have been accused of everything from a being a rich hypocrite, a tree-hugger and anti-capitalist. I am none of those things, I just hate politicians and businessmen who try to gain publicity in every disaster by making a "generous" donation to the affected. $7,000 is just insulting.

Rather give nothing and don't pretend you care. Or give anonymously.

Edited by ParadiseLost

There was no breath testing when I was changing through Samui. Sounds like you guys were hard done by, flying in to meet the chopper, no night in town, and breath tested to boot.

I couldn't possibly hire you since your reading skills are so poor.

We missed a night in town? There is no town. besides I went there to work , not to party.

Missed out? No son I live in Bangkok. Got all I could ever want or need.

Do try to not misquote people. Pisses them off.

The death nell for island paradises in the gulf I fear.

Of course the attempts to bribe the locals with aide packages kicks in instantly. We care for you, since you have oil under you. I don't remember Chevron aide packages for Issan flood victims....

Why....:rolleyes: ...oil and gas exploration and production has been going on for 25 year plus in the Gulf Thailand

This is hardly news at all.....a few new concessions have been awarded

Oil derricks in the skyline off Koh Phagnan, K. Tao and K. Samui

will not be maintaining these islands as vacation paradises.

It's not being in the gulf that is the worry but WHERE in the gulf.

The current proposals are not good.

Certainly I can admit a certain amount of NIMBY to this, but putting them around these islands is a sure route to ruining the local economies and the great investments of many companies in resorts and infrastructure. As well as jeopardizing the livelihoods of 10's of thousands of locals.

Less hyperbole please.

Where does it state they are going up around those Islands?

All the Hydrocarbons are much further south....

Of course the attempts to bribe the locals with aide packages kicks in instantly. We care for you, since you have oil under you. I don't remember Chevron aide packages for Issan flood victims....

Why....:rolleyes: ...oil and gas exploration and production has been going on for 25 year plus in the Gulf Thailand

Certainly I can admit a certain amount of NIMBY to this, but putting them around these islands is a sure route to ruining the local economies and the great investments of many companies in resorts and infrastructure. As well as jeopardizing the livelihoods of 10's of thousands of locals.

Less hyperbole please.

Where does it state they are going up around those Islands?

They are not ....closest point on the new concessions to Koh Samui etc is 160km away

In early days there was no breath test in Sattahip either , but after a few cases of people falling off the jetty into the water while trying to get on crewboats while drunk and the infamous case of the drilling guy falling over the hotel balcony while drunk, (or was he pushed ?)....the breath test was introduced....:lol:

I was on the boat that a certain T4 mechanic missed the gangplank of and stepped straight into the water, still clutching his offshore bag. The dock was deceptively flat and the water dangerously calm that morning. The good old Ban Chang Palace coffee shop played its part too. The number of people who went straight from there to the crew change bus to the dock in the morning raised a few complaints by the wowsers. Of course, breath testing was first introduced in Thailand by Unocal purely as a way to be able to fire a number of its production workers without having to bother with severance packages (allegedly). Up till then no one gave a dam_n. When I first worked here back in the 80's there was even a well utilised bar in the Songkhla naval base right opposite their hanger.

To get back on topic, I wonder if all the doubters really know just how much has been pumped into the communities of the South, admittedly most of it into Songkhla over the years, by the oil companies? And just how many locals, from unskilled room boys, laundry hands, galley hands, painters, roustabouts etc through to skilled drillers, pushers, service company hands and company men, are employed in the industry? Yes, many of these companies are making money from being in Thailand, (don't forget the ones that have poured money in to drill a duster and left with a loss), but name me one company here that doesn't have that aim? And name me one company here that is obliged to donate to disaster relief? (By the way, how much did the big US oil companies give to the community following Hurricane Katrina)?

I couldn't possibly hire you since your reading skills are so poor.

We missed a night in town? There is no town. besides I went there to work , not to party.

Missed out? No son I live in Bangkok. Got all I could ever want or need.

Do try to not misquote people. Pisses them off.

No town on Samui? I can see why they breath tested you.

Prey tell how much you have sent to Japan and to the victims of the Southern floods ? :huh:

The oil companies are providing jobs and security for many local families and businesses in the area and the offshore workers spend a lot of money en route to the platforms and on the way home.

Just your typical knee jerk reaction from tree hugging loonies :o

Spoken like a true O&G guy...well done..:lol: ......the tree huggers would have us on solar power, riding a donkey and eating lentils...

...and teaching English and bitching about the world, the universe and everything....

Your comment is unfair. How much money have these companies made from the concessions to date? To date the announcement is about discoveries, not what is being pumped out. These companies will have invested large sums in finding the oil and gas. Just who is putting up the money? It is the the shareholders. What do shareholders say when a company's profits and resulting dividends are unsatisfactory? Fire the executives etc. Why do you expect companies to pay out additional monies when they are operating at a loss on the project to date? Do you expect the companies to borrow more money to give larger gifts? If and when there is oil or gas obtained, Thailand will be paid royalties. The fact of the matter is that the sums being given are sizeable by local standards. If you have an issue with the size of the donation write to the shareholders, don't blame the companies for a gesture of goodwill. The gifts could not be given anonymously because of the regulatory requirements.

Your comment is unfair. How much money have these companies made from the concessions to date? To date the announcement is about discoveries, not what is being pumped out. These companies will have invested large sums in finding the oil and gas. Just who is putting up the money? It is the the shareholders. What do shareholders say when a company's profits and resulting dividends are unsatisfactory? Fire the executives etc. Why do you expect companies to pay out additional monies when they are operating at a loss on the project to date? Do you expect the companies to borrow more money to give larger gifts? If and when there is oil or gas obtained, Thailand will be paid royalties. The fact of the matter is that the sums being given are sizeable by local standards. If you have an issue with the size of the donation write to the shareholders, don't blame the companies for a gesture of goodwill. The gifts could not be given anonymously because of the regulatory requirements.

We are beyond flogging a dead horse here.

I do not 'expect' companies to give anything. I cannot see anywhere that I say or imply it. But when they do so publicly then it should be a meaningful amount - not a token sum which, in this case, is hardly "sizeable by local standards". The government estimates 2 to 3 billion Baht in damages. Here we have 5 corporations involved in the highly lucrative oil industry clubbing together and coming up with just over 1 million Baht. Hardly a drop in the ocean. So I say for the last time they do not deserve praise for this but contempt. Rather give nothing, it is less insulting.

It's just a question of drill it now or drill it later. In 20 - 50 years, there will not be a single known, easily accessible oil deposit that is not drilled. I don't care how fragile the environment is, how ugly it might look, or how many endangered species call the habitat their home. All that will be totally irrelevant. Once energy depletion really starts kicking in, and people are starving, any area that can be expoited for hydrocarbons, will be exploited.

We might as well get it over with now. It's coming anyway. And I'm under no illusions about the magnanimity of the oil companies who will be exploiting this resource. With the exception of bankers, nobody exceeds oil and mining companies in greed and contempt for their fellow man.

But when people are hungry, they will attack that resource if it is there, and whoever gets in the way of a starving mass of mindless animals will simply be swept aside. So let's exploit that resource now while everyone still has some control, and we have a chance of it coming off well. I doubt there will be so much concern for safety and the wellbeing of anybody in 50 years.

So no "oil derricks" off above mentioned Islands just yet and highly unlikely there ever would be as feel any deposits there would not be economically viable

And you know the economic viability for a fact?

It seems there is a full court press to make the oil companies seem better than they are, and that kind of big money PR exercise would also include forums such as this. I'll believe there will be no troublesome oil spills and such when I don't see it here, definitively stated as never happening we are not building here. Till then they do NOT get a simple free pass as a great bunch of people helping the economy.

The oil roughnecks I have known at various times have all said there is stuff that happens most people never hear about, management doers it's level best to hide all problems. And if the money wasn't so good these guys would have nothing to do with it, but kids needing uni and house payments keep them doing it. So based on 30+ years of knowing guys working on oil rigs, I don't buy into the PR sales rap, or wishful thinking

Edited by animatic

These islands become R&R retreats for the platforms. In fact they are already, for quite some time. Thus they bring in money to these islands.

:blink: ....really how so....?.....most O&G guys in the Gulf of Thailand are Thai....they go home to their familes not to some over priced island.

Very few expats left offshore in the gulf and the vast majority live in Thailand, so on their time off....they go home as well to their familes...

So islands concerned are not and never have been "R&R retreats" for offshore O&G in Thailand and thus they bring very little if any money to these islands

I was there, oh, about 10 years ago. There was major storms in the Gulf of Thailand. They flew staff off the rigs to Samui for safety reasons. Remember it well.

If there is oil/gas in there, they will extract it. Do you think they give a toss about some tourists who think these islands are so precious? Thailand is desperate for oil and gas.

I remember Samui 15 years ago, the place is ruined already by exploitation. In fact there are not many pristine locations in Thailand left now. Anything that people can make money out of has and will be exploited. You can whinge and complain about it, but that is the way it is. TiT.

Before you flame me, I don't work in the oil industry nor am I one of those exploiters. Just a bystander.

Edited by MaiChai

I do not 'expect' companies to give anything. I cannot see anywhere that I say or imply it. But when they do so publicly then it should be a meaningful amount - not a token sum which, in this case, is hardly "sizeable by local standards". The government estimates 2 to 3 billion Baht in damages. Here we have 5 corporations involved in the highly lucrative oil industry clubbing together and coming up with just over 1 million Baht. Hardly a drop in the ocean. So I say for the last time they do not deserve praise for this but contempt. Rather give nothing, it is less insulting.

Ok, how about we try this. To date the concessions have not generated any income. The oil companies have technically lost money on the venture since they are paying the costs of the exploration, paying for the right to explore and carrying the burden of debt for all of this activity. As such the venture does not have any money to throw about. Your position then is that the implicated companies should go further in to debt to make larger gifts. They cannot do so as they are publicly traded and subject to rules and regulations regarding gifts. They gave what was deemed acceptable in terms of their financial situation.

A gift is just that, a gift. One gives whaat one can afford to give under the circumstances.

These islands become R&R retreats for the platforms. In fact they are already, for quite some time. Thus they bring in money to these islands.

:blink: ....really how so....?.....most O&G guys in the Gulf of Thailand are Thai....they go home to their familes not to some over priced island.

Very few expats left offshore in the gulf and the vast majority live in Thailand, so on their time off....they go home as well to their familes...

So islands concerned are not and never have been "R&R retreats" for offshore O&G in Thailand and thus they bring very little if any money to these islands

I was there, oh, about 10 years ago. There was major storms in the Gulf of Thailand. They flew staff off the rigs to Samui for safety reasons. Remember it well.

Before you flame me, I don't work in the oil industry nor am I one of those exploiters. Just a bystander.

10 years ago the offshore bases (choppers) for certain operators was in Koh Samui, thats the reason personnel were demobbed to shore through there.....thats is long gone, you were talking about R&R retreats...not the same thing.

Once again more provocative words being used...."exploiters"........please explain why you think the operating companies are "exploiters"....of course these same exploiters are satisfying your demand for hydrocarbon's or do use solar power, ride a donkey, eat lentils and make your clothes out of hemp..:rolleyes:

Ok, how about we try this. To date the concessions have not generated any income. The oil companies have technically lost money on the venture since they are paying the costs of the exploration, paying for the right to explore and carrying the burden of debt for all of this activity. As such the venture does not have any money to throw about. Your position then is that the implicated companies should go further in to debt to make larger gifts. They cannot do so as they are publicly traded and subject to rules and regulations regarding gifts. They gave what was deemed acceptable in terms of their financial situation.

A gift is just that, a gift. One gives whaat one can afford to give under the circumstances.

How on earth did you come to this conclusion? I have said many times that the companies should make a meaningful contribution, or give NOTHING. Instead they see a great PR opportunity at a very small cost. Way less than they could really afford.

Instead they see a great PR opportunity at a very small cost. Way less than they could really afford.

Go back to the orignal article and see who announced these donations...it wasnt the operating companies themselves it was the DMF, which is a goverment department, so nothing to do with a cheap PR opportunity...how much can they afford ?.....based on previous posts its $33,000 more than you have donated to the cause....:whistling:

Please get off your soap box....:rolleyes:

Today, BBC News: bbc_co_uk/news/world-us-canada-12949637

Transocean gives bonuses after Gulf of Mexico BP spill

The offshore drilling firm responsible for running the Deepwater Horizon rig has given its top executives bonuses for its "best year" for safety.

Here we have an example of how delusional and corrupt the oil industry really is. Transocean owns the rig which exploded, killing their employees and devastating a country.

Before you retort, I am fully aware that this is not an example, or equivalent of any company involved in the Gulf of Thailand. This shows how low and far removed from reality ones moral values can get.

Instead they see a great PR opportunity at a very small cost. Way less than they could really afford.

Go back to the orignal article and see who announced these donations...it wasnt the operating companies themselves it was the DMF, which is a goverment department, so nothing to do with a cheap PR opportunity...how much can they afford ?.....based on previous posts its $33,000 more than you have donated to the cause....:whistling:

Answer my question - do you think $7,000 is a generous and substantial amount of money for a company of any size?

Please offer your praise for them for this donation, not try to explain in every way possible why they gave so little.

Taking it so far as to flame, insult and use poorly thought out sarcasm to undermine my points - without really making a point yourself.

Here is your opportunity to praise your idols.

How on earth did you come to this conclusion? I have said many times that the companies should make a meaningful contribution, or give NOTHING. Instead they see a great PR opportunity at a very small cost. Way less than they could really afford.

$7000? Big Money? Check how much the air fare for an oil company exec to fly from LAX to BKK is. To be sure he doesn't fly cattle class. To plead that this is a case of 'the widow's mite' is ludicrous. Does anybody think that the shareholders go through the company accounts to identify what happened to $7000? Do they jump up and down over the amount paid to political parties? Can they identify which outgoings were bribes? I suggest that this is parsimony at the level I practice when buying a shirt in the market for 199 baht and don't hang around to get the 1 baht change.

Today, BBC News: bbc_co_uk/news/world-us-canada-12949637

Transocean gives bonuses after Gulf of Mexico BP spill

The offshore drilling firm responsible for running the Deepwater Horizon rig has given its top executives bonuses for its "best year" for safety.

Here we have an example of how delusional and corrupt the oil industry really is. Transocean owns the rig which exploded, killing their employees and devastating a country.

Not disagreeing with you on this one...its in very bad taste and I am sure most O&G guys wil agree with you, however you cant use the example of one company to paint the whole industry as being delusional and corrupt.

Now that the above is on the BBC/CNN etc think you find these bonuses will be withdrawn, what has happened here is no different to waht the banks did post ecomonic crisis

Answer my question - do you think $7,000 is a generous and substantial amount of money for a company of any size?

I will refrain from commenting on whether this donation was generous or not until you give a list of other MNC's in other inductries which have contributed to date and then we can compare, thinking of along the lines of what have Toyota/BMW/Mazda Samsung, Chang beer etc etc etc donated ?

$7000? Big Money? Check how much the air fare for an oil company exec to fly from LAX to BKK is. To be sure he doesn't fly cattle class.

Cant see the relevance...in most industries if you are flying over a certain number of hours (typically 4) for business purposes.. you get business class...not just restricted to Oil and Gas executives.

I will refrain from commenting on whether this donation was generous or not until you give a list of other MNC's in other inductries which have contributed to date and then we can compare, thinking of along the lines of what have Toyota/BMW/Mazda Samsung, Chang beer etc etc etc donated ?

Well, this thread involves 5 companies. The title sort of compounds what I have said (consistently) "Drillers Strike It Rich...". I have also said all along that I do not expect any company to give anything. That is what governments are there for, and international aid.

However, if business or politicians want to donate and be recognised in public for this then the bar should be set a lot higher than it is. And no, I am not suggesting there are minimum levels defined by any authority, but the press and the general public should deride these companies/a-holes and expose their hypocrisy when they pull such stunts. Instead you jump to their defence when it has been proven time and time again that while they perform an essential service, they rape the environment and accumulate vast fortunes without having any responsibility to local populace, other than to enrich their corrupt leaders...

I agree that these 5 companies are not fantastically rich as say Shell, BP, etc. but they are still wealthy enough to afford more than $7,000 in what is turning into one of Thailand's worst disasters ever. There are more than a million displaced and badly affected people. The big 5 of the Gulf here have been so kind as to give them one baht each. Hooray.

You may have the soapbox.

You can keep your soapbox...all you seem to be able to come up with is hyperbole and hippy dippy rhetoric, sad thing is were you have quoted factual information RE Transocean, I have actually agreed with you.....:whistling:

You can keep your soapbox...all you seem to be able to come up with is hyperbole and hippy dippy rhetoric, sad thing is were you have quoted factual information RE Transocean, I have actually agreed with you.....:whistling:

Well, we can leave it there. I have made my point. I still don't see your point unless you are somehow connected to the oil industry. Or you are happy being spoon-fed propaganda and believe blindly in the big-business ethos...

Thaksin supporter?