Compensation For Flood Damage

There's a big frenzy this morning, with Thai neighbours to get pictures printed of Flood damage to the homes, property & crops... Forms & pictures are required, from what I can understand they will get (perhaps up to ) 5000 baht.

Applications with photos have to be done between today 4th April to the 6 th of April...

For Maenam they are taking the forms at the Maenam Temple on Soi 4. Needless to say the Photo Print shops are busy! I don't know if this would apply to "farangs" with Thai wives or husbands.... ???

If you have Thai neighbours with no camera, who want you to take pictures for them this would be the reason why.... but the deadline is short.... go help them out!

To many of them, that is a huge amount of change!

Edited by samuijimmy

My landlady asked me to take photos last Monday morning just before I had to move out. I was in the process of moving back in on Saturday and she came over and asked me to put the pics on her PC as she needed them for tomorrow (Sunday)for the government. I took about 50 photos of her home and shop and her family's homes behind (all flooded and had to move out) and she seems very pleased with them. In fact it seemed to be the Saturday night entertainment with all the family huddled around the PC watching the slideshow!

I did ask her if she could get compensation and she said yes, but I don't know how or how much. She's got a lot of damage. About 6 family houses and mine. In my house alone the heavy stuff which I couldn't get off the ground is destroyed.

In November, Thai friends who got flooded told me they could only claim some sort of tax rebate from what I understood. I don't know if this has changed. I hope so. Twice in six months is too much for these people.

Kate

PS: That boat never arrived Jimmy! Had to swim for it!

Seems to be a 5000 baht limit, hardly enough to buy an new mattress.... that alone cover much else, including loss of income....

One neighbour taking what they can from house (wood, tin roof etc) to rebuild else where....sure hope they have found a better spot, as they have had water around the house since November flood.... due to another neighbour building a wall and kept water backed up....:angry:

If 5,000bt for free is not good enough I'm sure there is a way insurance coverage could be purchased. But as normal same in most countries people expect the government to pick up the tab.

A lot of the poorer Thai's can hardly afford buying enough for a decent meal every day or run their motorbikes.... You think they can buy insurance on there homes?

Even the "moneyed" Thai's I know don't have house or property insurance.... just not on the "radar screen" here...

This last storm would probably be classified as "An act of God" so would probably voided insurance, anyway .... just take a look at Queensland.... The Oz government helping out there....

I am not a believer in "Cradle to grave, government care" but it does need to step in sometimes...

Has anybody noticed how long the govt has given to take pics and get application in 4th to 6th ! what a bloody joke. I bet all the relatives of the politicians got theirs in before it was announced ! This is typical, blood disgusting behaviour . :annoyed:

Edited by oldsailor35

And another thing Pics ! for crying out loud ! pics of what. The water has gone now and many have cleaned up. So what good are pics going to do. Just a bunch of Morons.

Edited by oldsailor35

In Brisbane, the government and city council produced maps of all flood areas. Why cannot this be done in Thailand. All they would then have to do is look at the address, look at the flood map and say yes or no. I can just see Thai officialdom taking months or more looking at thousands of pictures which will tell them sweet <deleted> all...........duhhhhhhhhh brains ? :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

5000 is peanuts compared to the damage...

5000 is peanuts how much in baht. if u was to sell 5000 bananas for 10 baht each and sell 5 peanuts for 30 baht for 5 then how much is 5000 peanuts worth in baht