New Honda,Toyota, Mitsubishi Or Mazda - Diesel ?

bkmbkk

What is the change that any of the big brands such as Toyota, Honda , Mazda or Mitsubishi put a diesel engine into their saloons - here in LOS ?

Diesel is winning many hearts now a days with their high torque at low rpm. such as BMW , VW and Mercedes is doing.

Ford has the Focus in Diesel version, but I would prefer a (say) Accord with a proper sized modern diesel engine in it :rolleyes: .

I am sure I read somewhere that the new Civic would be launched with the 2.2 Diesel Engine but cannot find the source. Would be interested to learn this as well.

Honda has decided to not go diesel in LOS. CRV and Accord is available with a 2,2 autoD (auto is a must to sell in LOS), but not in LOS. Reasons?

10% less excice tax for E20 compatibel cars

Diesel is truck image

Honda employees are not trained on diesel tech

Logistic

For the rest, perhaps similar reasons

I've got to be honest I don't really accept the argument that diesel engines are only associated with trucks. Mercedes Benz and BMW have no problem selling their diesel engined cars in Thailand. I think the real reason the Japanese manufacturers don't offer diesels here is that they have no financial reason to do so. They are doing perfectly well selling cars with a very limited (sometimes only one e.g Honda City) range of engine choices with limited safety features. If one of the big players (Honda or Toyota) offers diesels then the rest of the market will follow. Until then we will all have to wait or buy a Ford or a Chevrolet.

I've got to be honest I don't really accept the argument that diesel engines are only associated with trucks. Mercedes Benz and BMW have no problem selling their diesel engined cars in Thailand. I think the real reason the Japanese manufacturers don't offer diesels here is that they have no financial reason to do so. They are doing perfectly well selling cars with a very limited (sometimes only one e.g Honda City) range of engine choices with limited safety features. If one of the big players (Honda or Toyota) offers diesels then the rest of the market will follow. Until then we will all have to wait or buy a Ford or a Chevrolet.

Good points. :)

Thai gov puts subsidy on diesel. Sure they want the diesel be used on logistic, agriculture and construction that contributes to GDP. So no reason for them to promote diesel cars.

What the gov like to see is private cars run on CNG.

Good points. :)

agreed

If I where to buy a LOS beemer, it would be 525D. a Benz would be E220 or 250CDi.

But Thai consumers prefere petrol, so they buy Benz E 200, which is a 1800cc turbo petrol, or BMW 523i petrol.

and this is reflected in the rest of the market. How many diesel Focus has Ford sold? close to none, 1,8 and 2,0 petrol is the sales volume

Thai gov puts subsidy on diesel. Sure they want the diesel be used on logistic, agriculture and construction that contributes to GDP. So no reason for them to promote diesel cars.

yepp, Thai government wants vehicles to run domestic produced fuels, like CNG and Ethanol (gasohol), to reduce imported fuels. Thus the tax breakes for E20 and E85 cars and NGV

yepp, Thai government wants vehicles to run domestic produced fuels, like CNG and Ethanol (gasohol), to reduce imported fuels. Thus the tax breakes for E20 and E85 cars and NGV

Ok - I was thinking the consumption of diesel here was higher than petrol (due to the many busses,trucks and pick up) and therefore everythiing else should run petrol.

I guess - if you have diesel there must be petrol at the refinery as well that needs to be used .

Isen't the biodiesel mixed here in LOS as well as gasohol ?

Ok - I was thinking the consumption of diesel here was higher than petrol (due to the many busses,trucks and pick up) and therefore everythiing else should run petrol.

I guess - if you have diesel there must be petrol at the refinery as well that needs to be used .

Isen't the biodiesel mixed here in LOS as well as gasohol ?

Diesel and petrol is refined here, and mixed with up to 5% biodiesel from palmoil, or 10,20 or 85% Ethanol from sugarcane

• 11 months later...

Dear fellow readers,

I purchased a new car 2.5 years ago. The sales people said it would be a good investment to have C.N.G. gas fitted. For the first 2 or 3 months it was great. Now I think it was the worst choice I have ever made in my life. We spend up to 4 hours per week queuing for the gas. My wife telephoned the one and only gas station in our city (SURIN) on Friday night at 10pm. 23.3.012. She was informed the gas would arrive at 11pm. At 11.15 she left home to travel the 2 kilometres to get the gas. at midnight she telephoned me to say the gas had only just arrived. She was the fifteenth vehicle in the queue. A taxi driver in front of her told her he had been waiting since 9 pm. There were also 7 mini buses in front of her. This is just one queue on the forecourt. There are several queues for coaches, Semi- trailers and various other vehicles. My wife arrived back home at 2.40.am Saturday morning. Surin has now got 40 new mini buses on C.N.G. gas. I wish I had decided on L.P.G. gas.

The Chevy Cruise will soon come in Diesel

As a note. Love my CNG Mitusbishi

With the savings in fuel cost my truck will be free after 4 years !

as long as the subsidies stay in place. which they aren't.

it will not get expensive per se. but will take a lot longer to regain the initial outlay. especially if you consider the extra wear and tear that CNG can cause.