Riding A Motorcycle Inthailand

targaman

Hey, and I know that a larger bike in responsible, experienced hands is a thing of joy (mine is a problem being not responsible, and have proved that paid for it before moving here with injuries and traffic fines)

So, let me get this right.........with all of your 'alleged' years of experience you still admit to "being not responsible"

You are hardly qualified to give advice to newbies then, are you? In fact, you're probably a moron on a bike. Do the world a favour? Ride a Scoopy.

Yes your correct and I will refrain from riding a larger bike, there should never be any morons allowed on motorcycles on the roads here. Hi, my name is Fishenough and I have a problem, sometimes I go too fast on a motorcycle. :jap:

I am not sure about the 250cc quote too, it largely depends on where you are driving. My CBR250r is great for in traffic in BKK but might not be as good for touring. I have a yamaha nouvo elegance that i keep for shopping trips (if i dont take the car) as it has more storage facilities. So what bike depends on use.

And no we dont need anymore irresponsible drivers that being said i rather see an irresponsible motorcycle driver then a car driver. Cars are bigger and usually kill others.. bikes.. you kill yourself.

Hey, and I know that a larger bike in responsible, experienced hands is a thing of joy (mine is a problem being not responsible, and have proved that paid for it before moving here with injuries and traffic fines)

So, let me get this right.........with all of your 'alleged' years of experience you still admit to "being not responsible"

You are hardly qualified to give advice to newbies then, are you? In fact, you're probably a moron on a bike. Do the world a favour? Ride a Scoopy.

Yes your correct and I will refrain from riding a larger bike, there should never be any morons allowed on motorcycles on the roads here. Hi, my name is Fishenough and I have a problem, sometimes I go too fast on a motorcycle. :jap:

Ignore the pretentious know-it-all holier-than-thou wanke_rs like Phat and welcome to the club! :lol:

SSRLogo.jpg

Read the post more carefully.

"Mine is........." present tense......not past.

That would suggest he is still irresponsible on a bike.

I did read it carefully and saw how the grammer construction, but I am playing devil's advocate that people can change, perhaps need a second chance and get some guidance. Make sense?

Keep your line unless you are certain that you are clear to move left or right. Just this morning I was making a right turn with my signal on and a motorbike taxi came out of nowhere and was passing me on the right. If I wouldn't have double checked he would have got me.

Ignore the pretentious know-it-all holier-than-thou wanke_rs like Phat and welcome to the club! :lol:

SSRLogo.jpg

Hi my name is Shocktreatment and I am a speed freak and often speed and do wheel stand my bike and burn outs. But always ride slow when drunk.

:jap:

Hi my name is Shocktreatment and I am a speed freak and often speed and do wheel stand my bike and burn outs. But always ride slow when drunk.

Enjoy Songkran, you should fit straight in to the chaos.

Are you crazy, never ride a bike during Songkran to many buckets of water and drink drivers on the road :whistling:

Are you crazy, never ride a bike during Songkran to many buckets of water and drink drivers on the road :whistling:

Thanks St, you gave me a good laugh :lol:

suprise the church goers havent jumped all over me yet for the drink riding comment, must rember to add more bait next time.

But serous who buys a real sports bike (not a ER6) and sticks to the speed limit in Thailand and keeps the front end down, I would guess 0%

suprise the church goers havent jumped all over me yet for the drink riding comment, must rember to add more bait next time.

But serous who buys a real sports bike (not a ER6) and sticks to the speed limit in Thailand and keeps the front end down, I would guess 0%

:lol: I definitely cottoned on quick that you were fishing. Judicious use of smilies always helps.

But agreed, there is a time and a place for everything. I'm an open road guy, being the reason I live in northern Thailand which has fantastic roads for both sports bikes and cruisers alike. I've been told there are some nice runs down south around the Bangkok region and surrounds, but nothing beats the northern routes I believe. Especially if you want to push it and not be concerned about heavy vehicle or people traffic. Much as some will hate to admit, I like Thailand for the fact that the coppers are flexible and sometimes forgiving (at no expense). It all boils down to your attitude towards them. :jap:

Anyway, I'm digressing, but there would be a rare few who would stick to the official road rules. I know Tony never speeds, but I'm pretty sure that's only when his engine is turned off :lol:

Edited by Garry

Yes I agree the north east and the north is great.

Me and a mate hit a speed trap at over 200 klm/h a while back on our way to Udon and the copper couldnt get across the road fast enough to flag us down.

Funny bit was on the way back he had swapped to the other side of the road and we went past again at 200 klm/h.

But he just waved at us this time :rolleyes:

Some good pointers.

I agree load pipes is a great thing on a bike. A few years ago in California I was following a traffic cop on the highway who was splitting lanes on a Harley giving a little twist every now and then. "Blap blap" and watch the seas part like he was Moses. I love the Arrow on my Ninja for the same reason.

Driving is very different here, but many of the things they teach us in rider school back home are still applicable.

O'de like to add some more suggestions, mostly for big bike riders:

Ride with a hyper vigilance. Probably the most important, especially in urban or suburban areas. Don't get complacent with this. Slow is key here. Analyze your threats like your a T-1000. Actively scan the road ahead and categorize threats by level and divide your attention accordingly. Notice the dogs. The cars bumper peaking out. The girl on the Airblade chatting on her phone. Vehicle waiting to U-turn. You will sometimes experience sensory overload when it seams like threats are coming from everywhere. If that happens, slow down. Wait till you get to the countryside to open her up if you have to.

Assume everyone is trying to kill you, it's mostly true. Thai's don't pay attention to anything behind them. If it looks like grandma or that boy racer with the pink Fino might suddenly cross in front of you without looking, they very well might. I have had 3 or 4 mates go down hard due to this exact scenario.

Pay attention to how Thai's drive.

There is no lane discipline whatsoever in Thailand. Cars wander from lane to lane especially in curves. Avoid riding next to anyone.

Thai's generally yield to the larger vehicle. This means you on your big bike might get some respect from the oceans of Waves and Clicks, but that cement mixer waiting to U-turn in front of you couldn't car less whether you have complete right of way, as I learned the hard way. He is sitting higher than you so he's coming even if it means he is going to put you in the ditch at 70kph. Oh, and he ain't stopping to see if you are OK either.

Know the silly laws.

I don't advocate breaking laws, but Thailand has some antiquated codes that cops love to use on us. There is a law stating that you must ride in the left lane unless overtaking, preparing to turn right, or the lane is narrower than a certain width, something like 2m IIRC. With the amount of dogs, bikes, and kids popping out of side streets without looking, sometimes the right lane is the safest choice, especially when it can improve your sight lines. Also coppers can and do stop pickups for "Uncovered load" if you have a motorcycle in the back. Legally it needs a tarp.

Straightline breaking.

If you need to panic stop, you loose your ability to turn. If you turn you may go down, and that is usually not good. Remember that ABS does very little to keep you upright when breaking in a corner, but is fantastic in a straight line. If you have ABS, don't be afraid to go 100% breaking power on them. Studies of motorcycle fatalities have shown that many accidents could have been avoided if the rider was not afraid to hard break. Practice this in a safe environment. You will be surprised how quickly you can stop.

Traveliing Distance and Sightlines

As mentioned, never follow to closely. The 3 second rule applies here. Position yourself where you can best see and be seen. Always leave yourself an out.

Lastly, Never forget ATGATT- All The Gear All The Time. Flip flops and a tank top is not proper riding attire. Full face helmet, obviously..ankle covering boots, jean or leather pants, riding jacket with shoulder and spine protection, and good gloves. Murphys law says if you wear you gear you won't need it, but if you don't, you will. My one big off so far I had full gear on and walked away with a sprained ankle and sore muscles.

"Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity."

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

"Loud pipes saves lives."

ScubaBuddy

I think you nailed this one.

Waking up in the morning is also just about time...

Riding a bike at 200kmph is not dangerous, if it is done on the right road! I can find many roads around here where it would be ok to ride that fast and faster- not suggesting that during rush hours, but afternoon, or evening should be ok... The highway is also a good spot to go fast...

It all comes down to what level you have- a beginner should not, but someone who has ridden fast for a long time, built up skills and confidence should have no problem going fast- and safely...

Waking up in the morning is also just about time...

Riding a bike at 200kmph is not dangerous, if it is done on the right road! I can find many roads around here where it would be ok to ride that fast and faster- not suggesting that during rush hours, but afternoon, or evening should be ok... The highway is also a good spot to go fast...

It all comes down to what level you have- a beginner should not, but someone who has ridden fast for a long time, built up skills and confidence should have no problem going fast- and safely...

Ignore the wanke_rs, never! What would Thai Visa be like without the wanke_rs, sooooooo less entertaining.

How many members here have spent a decade plus kick starting 350 to 525 thumpers as much as they possibly could? :D:D

So be safe, and don't drink and ride during Songkran.

Suk san one songkran

A mate of mine in the Thai police just gave me a copy of the new soon-to-be released highway code.

This definitive list will be soon be adopted as the official driving code of Thailand, in the absence of any other such known publication, so that all drivers on the road will act in strict accordance with it.

# 1. The Mercedes Benz always has right of way.

#2. The more wheels you have, the more right of way you have. (Except when Rule #1 applies.)

#3. Anything with two wheels or less does not count as a vehicle and should be disregarded completely. Even if it’s a 1800 cc Harley Davidson the size of the average Thai house.

#4. If you need to turn off, then turn off. If that means a right-angled swerve across three lanes on two wheels so you don’t miss your turn, please go ahead. We’ll just fit in with your plan. No need to indicate your intention.

#5. If in the process of executing that turn, you cause three motorcyclists and a tuk tuk to end up in the ditch, add 5 points.

#6. Indicators should only be used in the following fashion. If someone is behind you and wanting to overtake, put on your right indicator. This means either a/ it is clear and safe to overtake now or b/ don’t overtake now a bus is coming over the blind rise at a speed approaching 130km/h. It will soon become apparent which meaning was intended.

#7. Do have as many Buddhist amulets on the dashboard as possible. If you’re involved in a fatal accident, never mind — there’s always another life, and another …

#8. Traffic jams can be frustrating, so, as soon as you get any open space at all, get your vehicle to its highest possible top speed. As a guideline the rpm counter should be kept in the red zone in event of any open road.

#9. When joining a busy main road from a small side road, proceed directly into the intersection without stopping – or even pausing – for other traffic. This selfishly indulgent act of stopping and checking will only cause confusion for those behind you, with the possible result of them rear-ending you.

#10. When on a motorcycle, do not wear a helmet, and ride as fast as the bike will possibly go while using cars, buses, elephants, and chickens as slalom course markers. Irrespective of traffic conditions, possible dangers lurking around the corner, and pedestrians foolishly crossing the road at a marked pedestrian crossing, maintain this speed (once again, the red zone on your rpm gauge is a reliable indicator). After all, in the event of some other idiot doing the wrong thing, you want to be killed outright, not maimed.

#11. On the subject of pedestrian crossings, these are known to foreigners as ‘zebra crossings’. There are no zebras in Thailand. Ignore. Proceed as usual.

#12. Do not wear a seat-belt. This will delay you when you stop at 7-11 to buy more beer for the drive, resulting in late arrival for the party. This is not acceptable to your thirsty friends.

#13. In the event you become completely, utterly, motherlessly drunk when drinking with your friends do not — repeat: DO NOT! — leave your vehicle there and attempt to walk home. In your drunken state you might be tempted to actually use a pedestrian crossing on foot, without observing the golden rule of crossing any road in Thailand: look Right, look Left, look Up then look Down before you cross. The buggers will get you from anywhere!

#14. Red lights. This is merely an optical illusion – all traffic lights in Thailand consist of three different shades of green. What you think is red is actually just dark green. Proceed as usual.

Ride safe chaps! :D

Cheers,

Pikey.

Having ridden in bangkok for the first time- my best advice would be that you should take your time. Stay in the left lane, watch what everyone is doing- if you dont know where you are going, like i did...

Once you know where you are going, do not trust anyone but yourself- they might turn, brake, jump... Stay away from all cars busses and get passed them as fast as possible...

But always ride in a way that you feel comfortable-

3 tips to be seen and heard

Always use high beam in daytime

loud pipes save life

replace the moped horn with 2 proper dual tone car horn like Hella

as for the exhaust, I insisted on keeping the extremely quiet stock cat on my Ninja 650R for more than half a year, until I realized another Ninja with Arrows effect on other traffic. So I got the hooligan loud 2 brothers exhaust for my Ninja, and others can now know I am not riding a moped at moped speed.

Should have known better, my Tmax had Over exhaust triggering car alarms, and my 1800cc cruiser never appeared like a moped

Riding in LOS should be loud. Loud n proud :)

200kph on any road in Thailand is just a matter of time! :whistling:

No, it's just a matter of distance / time.

Just pick your road and time to do it and you girls will be fine.

Ooh we've got a smart one here. So speed isn't a matter of distance / time then?

200kph on any road in Thailand is just a matter of time! :whistling:

No, it's just a matter of distance / time.

Just pick your road and time to do it and you girls will be fine.

Ooh we've got a smart one here. So speed isn't a matter of distance / time then?

I dont know your telling the story :lol: