Riding A Motorcycle Inthailand

targaman

I hav ebeen riding motorcycles all my life since I was 15. I have been riding in Thailand for the past 6 years.

Here is what I have learned.

1. Get a bike bigger than 250cc.

2. Get a Thai motorcycle license.

3. Register the bike in your Thai partner's name.

4. Always carry 100 baht in you wallet where it can be visible. Never pay more than 400 baht (Cost of most tickets).

5. Never ride in the left lanes unless a police roadblock...you will learn where they are soon enough.

6. Ride in the lane with the least trafffic and dont tailgate. Debris and oil on the road are a constant hazard and you need to be able to see it in plenty of time.

7. If you inadvertently come onto a toll way, U turn and go back.

8. On the highways that have no toll gate stay in the fast lane and go fast. No cops are willing to chase you and no cops will jump in front of a speeding morocycle.

9. Plan your trip with GPS either at home on google earth or with a mobile GPS. Remember there are a lot of route changes unannouced. U turns are a neceassary evil.

10. Don't ride in the rain. The road's are too slippery with diesel and oil.

11. Try to avoid night riding on unknown roads with poor or no lighting.

12. Maintain your bike well and if you breakdwn in the jungle, another motorcyclist will push you (With his bike) to the nearest town/village. There you will find simple help like puncture repair chain adjustment cable replacement etc.

13. If you have a serious breakdown get to the nearest toewn and send your bike back to your neares Post Office by PO truck (Special motorcycle delivery truck).

14. On long trips try and take the by-roads they are more fun, less traffic and safer.

15. Enjoy your motorcycling in Thailand it is fantastic.

Why would you register the bike in the name of someone else? It's easy enough to get it registered in your own name.

I have a few reasons:

1. If I am out of Thailand for any long period of time and I want to sell the bike it is easier if my Thai partner has the green book in her name. She sold my first bike for me a few years back while I was away for 4 months.

2. It seems to give me easier police mafia processing if stopped by the Highway police especially to have both my Thai gf and the bike in her name.

3. I don't own anything in my name (Philosophical choice).

Edited by targaman

I like your list, and wanted to add to it.

1. Where you intend to ride can factor in on engine size.

I'm in BKK and feel my 135cc Nouvo Elegance is the best bike here because it can get through all the stopped traffic and still be faster than all the moving traffic.

My DTracker 250 is probably the nimblest of the 250cc motorcycles available in Thailand but I never ride it unless its on the racetrack or for trips out of the city because the longer wheelbase makes weaving through stopped traffic difficult.

Outside of BKK, yes, I'd get a 600cc+ bike so you can pass the faster cars.

10. The first 15 minutes of heavy rain are the most dangerous in any country because all the junk on the roads is suspended in the water but hasn't been washed away.

Still, I ride in the rain often and feel its safe, but this is only my scooter and in the slow moving BKK traffic.

I had to get better tires, ride slower, wear an orange raincoat, and have underglow lights on my scooter.

I would not want to ride my motorcycle in the rain since it is not as light and nimble but on the scooter I feel pretty safe.

11. True, one night in the countryside it was raining and we were cruising at only 60kmh or so because we only had our headlights and wet visors for visibility.

A one meter long monitor lizard scurries across the freeway.

I dodged it and made a gesture to my friend but he had to just split in it half.

Avoiding the lizard in the rain would have been a crash most likely.

So although dogs seek shelter from the rain, monitor lizards don't and they are apparently nocturnal.

12. On out of town rides, I carry a first aid kit, critical spare parts, and tools, because I don't trust anyone fixing my bike but me.

We already know most Thais have no understanding of correct tire pressure.

With only 2 wheels keeping you up, are you gonna trust some village idiot to put a bolt back on with no threadlock?

I also think most of the countryside isn't going to have the parts needed to fix anything bigger than a scooter.

If you want to learn more about being prepared for breakdowns, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998

Ride fun and ride safe.

Why never ride in the left lane ?

Because its the most dangerous lane there is. Taxi, busses, minivans all cut in front of you from the other lanes forcing you to make an emergency stop. Its one of the crazier rules that motorcycles are supposed to drive there. I rather pay the corrupt BIB sometimes for the pleasure to drive in the other lanes. Especially if your bike is a bit faster. Its crazy to stay in the slow lane then.

Also add loud pipes to your bike as it keeps dogs kids out your way and even small bikes move over before you reach them.

And dont worry about the old farangs that complain.

Im not old and i ride a bike but i complain. Its just plain crazy to make all that extra noise. Some of those Harleys reving up before they go no normal conversation can be had in the restaurant at that time. They think its cool.. a scream for attention.

Though you might be right there is some safety coming from it.

Also add loud pipes to your bike as it keeps dogs kids out your way and even small bikes move over before you reach them.

They hear me coming and let me get by, but mine is more so from intake noise and engine harmonics. The full Termignoni system is definitely helping, that's for sure. B)

Im not old and i ride a bike but i complain. Its just plain crazy to make all that extra noise. Some of those Harleys reving up before they go no normal conversation can be had in the restaurant at that time. They think its cool.. a scream for attention.

You must be english :rolleyes:

As for people that rev their bike up while standing still, w a n k e r s :lol:

I was in the capital (Muscat) of Oman a few weeks back and was on the corniche road one night at Starbucks. Had these dickheads coming past revving the absolute crap out of their bike engines. Some were even putting them on the limiter. Most people at the venues, Arab and Westener alike had that '<deleted>?' look on their faces. Dumbarses...!!!

No im Dutch any problems with those ? I just don't like little macho guys on their bikes revving up while standing still thinking its cool to bother others. Just normal sound is more then enough. Loud enough sounds to give everyone a headache is not.

I do say that some bikes make a sweet sound that i just love... But if it is outside a bar, i would probably not rev it! But at home, i could easily listen to a nice sound... I sure beats the sound from the little waves thai kids soup up...

I do say that some bikes make a sweet sound that i just love... But if it is outside a bar, i would probably not rev it! But at home, i could easily listen to a nice sound... I sure beats the sound from the little waves thai kids soup up...

Sure at your own home that is ok with me but next to a restaurant while leaving revving for 5 minutes. Come on that is just plain crazy. Also extra loud pipes just for the sound alone is crazy.

Because its the most dangerous lane there is. Taxi, busses, minivans all cut in front of you from the other lanes forcing you to make an emergency stop. Its one of the crazier rules that motorcycles are supposed to drive there.

Ehhh, dont get me wrong now - I may have missed a vital piece of information - am I supposed to drive in the left lane with a motorbike...?

:unsure:

Because its the most dangerous lane there is. Taxi, busses, minivans all cut in front of you from the other lanes forcing you to make an emergency stop. Its one of the crazier rules that motorcycles are supposed to drive there.

Ehhh, dont get me wrong now - I may have missed a vital piece of information - am I supposed to drive in the left lane with a motorbike...?

Yes your supposed to drive there but i prefer not to do that and accept the occasional ticket from the police. I rather have a ticket then to get messed up by one of those maniac busses .. minivans taxis.. take your pick.

Yes your supposed to drive there but i prefer not to do that and accept the occasional ticket from the police. I rather have a ticket then to get messed up by one of those maniac busses .. minivans taxis.. take your pick.

lol, I tend to stay away from the left lane for exactly the reasons you're mentioning, but I have never been fined for it... what if I need to make a right turn or a U-turn - is there a rule that controls how far away from the U-turn I am allowed to change to the right lane..?

haha, you got to love this country!

lol, I tend to stay away from the left lane for exactly the reasons you're mentioning, but I have never been fined for it... what if I need to make a right turn or a U-turn - is there a rule that controls how far away from the U-turn I am allowed to change to the right lane..?

haha, you got to love this country!

Im sure there are rules for that but i don't know them. I have been fined once or twice for it. When they see you and they can catch you its just bad luck.

No im Dutch any problems with those ? I just don't like little macho guys on their bikes revving up while standing still thinking its cool to bother others. Just normal sound is more then enough. Loud enough sounds to give everyone a headache is not.

Wooden shoes, wooden head, wooden bloody know :jap:

And yes people that do that shit give motorcycle riders a bad name.

Wooden shoes, wooden head, wooden bloody know :jap:

And yes people that do that shit give motorcycle riders a bad name.

I got a CBR250r and the only reason i would put an other exhaust there would be if there was a performance difference (and the sound increase was within limits). Not for the sound. However different folks different strokes.

Some good pointers.

I agree load pipes is a great thing on a bike. A few years ago in California I was following a traffic cop on the highway who was splitting lanes on a Harley giving a little twist every now and then. "Blap blap" and watch the seas part like he was Moses. I love the Arrow on my Ninja for the same reason.

Driving is very different here, but many of the things they teach us in rider school back home are still applicable.

O'de like to add some more suggestions, mostly for big bike riders:

Ride with a hyper vigilance. Probably the most important, especially in urban or suburban areas. Don't get complacent with this. Slow is key here. Analyze your threats like your a T-1000. Actively scan the road ahead and categorize threats by level and divide your attention accordingly. Notice the dogs. The cars bumper peaking out. The girl on the Airblade chatting on her phone. Vehicle waiting to U-turn. You will sometimes experience sensory overload when it seams like threats are coming from everywhere. If that happens, slow down. Wait till you get to the countryside to open her up if you have to.

Assume everyone is trying to kill you, it's mostly true. Thai's don't pay attention to anything behind them. If it looks like grandma or that boy racer with the pink Fino might suddenly cross in front of you without looking, they very well might. I have had 3 or 4 mates go down hard due to this exact scenario.

Pay attention to how Thai's drive.

There is no lane discipline whatsoever in Thailand. Cars wander from lane to lane especially in curves. Avoid riding next to anyone.

Thai's generally yield to the larger vehicle. This means you on your big bike might get some respect from the oceans of Waves and Clicks, but that cement mixer waiting to U-turn in front of you couldn't car less whether you have complete right of way, as I learned the hard way. He is sitting higher than you so he's coming even if it means he is going to put you in the ditch at 70kph. Oh, and he ain't stopping to see if you are OK either.

Know the silly laws.

I don't advocate breaking laws, but Thailand has some antiquated codes that cops love to use on us. There is a law stating that you must ride in the left lane unless overtaking, preparing to turn right, or the lane is narrower than a certain width, something like 2m IIRC. With the amount of dogs, bikes, and kids popping out of side streets without looking, sometimes the right lane is the safest choice, especially when it can improve your sight lines. Also coppers can and do stop pickups for "Uncovered load" if you have a motorcycle in the back. Legally it needs a tarp.

Straightline breaking.

If you need to panic stop, you loose your ability to turn. If you turn you may go down, and that is usually not good. Remember that ABS does very little to keep you upright when breaking in a corner, but is fantastic in a straight line. If you have ABS, don't be afraid to go 100% breaking power on them. Studies of motorcycle fatalities have shown that many accidents could have been avoided if the rider was not afraid to hard break. Practice this in a safe environment. You will be surprised how quickly you can stop.

Traveliing Distance and Sightlines

As mentioned, never follow to closely. The 3 second rule applies here. Position yourself where you can best see and be seen. Always leave yourself an out.

Lastly, Never forget ATGATT- All The Gear All The Time. Flip flops and a tank top is not proper riding attire. Full face helmet, obviously..ankle covering boots, jean or leather pants, riding jacket with shoulder and spine protection, and good gloves. Murphys law says if you wear you gear you won't need it, but if you don't, you will. My one big off so far I had full gear on and walked away with a sprained ankle and sore muscles.

"Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity."

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul."

"Loud pipes saves lives."

Edited by ScubaBuddha
  • Like 1

A little tip i have recently learnt. If you see a solo cop or a couple of cops at the side of the road waving you down, look straight ahead and keep going. In the time it would take to chase you he could have stopped four more farangs and made 4-800 baht. The law of economics at work. No doubt i will get flamed for this but in the last month it has worked for me 3 times.

Ok list, but don't agree with points 1 and 3. Also started riding as a young teen, making for 30 plus years of riding and 20 plus years road licensed before moving here and getting a Thai mc licence.

Newbies; new too riding in Thailand or new to riding in general?

We've all meet many people whom only took up riding after moving to the land of similes or on a vacation here. Add to that the fact that by other users of the road, whether it's an R1 or a Honda Click approaching, it's just another bike of many doing roughly the same speed. A single headlight riding at 200 km/h is likely perceived as another scooter coming down the road, that combined with all other comments on road habits makes it no place for a newbie on a 650cc plus bike. Hey, and I know that a larger bike in responsible, experienced hands is a thing of joy (mine is a problem being not responsible, and have proved that paid for it before moving here with injuries and traffic fines), for a newbie it means a higher chance of 'off'. And believe or not some people happily tour on 250 and under bikes - just finished a 2500km tour, 2up on a 250; yes at times a bigger bike would have been nice BUT we slowed down and found some fantastic, new to me, back routes. Look at Captainslash.com

Um, guess most Thai visa forum members have Thai spouses/partners; but some don't and have found it easy, simple, painless and reasonable to sell a motorcycle in there own name. The 2 bikes we've sold couldn't have been easier.

Agree with the divingbuddha fully. Loud pipes seem to make even more sense given the point about of speed perception of larger bikes and the noise tolerance locally.

Cheers - with hopes of seeing more big bikes on the roads!

Hey, and I know that a larger bike in responsible, experienced hands is a thing of joy (mine is a problem being not responsible, and have proved that paid for it before moving here with injuries and traffic fines)

So, let me get this right.........with all of your 'alleged' years of experience you still admit to "being not responsible"

You are hardly qualified to give advice to newbies then, are you? In fact, you're probably a moron on a bike. Do the world a favour? Ride a Scoopy.

Hey, and I know that a larger bike in responsible, experienced hands is a thing of joy (mine is a problem being not responsible, and have proved that paid for it before moving here with injuries and traffic fines)

So, let me get this right.........with all of your 'alleged' years of experience you still admit to "being not responsible"

You are hardly qualified to give advice to newbies then, are you? In fact, you're probably a moron on a bike. Do the world a favour? Ride a Scoopy.

People can learn from their mistakes, educate themselves and some choose to have a fresh start. Perhaps he is worthy to give some advice on what not to do.

Yes your correct and I will refrain from riding a larger bike, there should never be any morons allowed on motorcycles on the roads here. Hi, my name is Fishenough and I have a problem, sometimes I go too fast on a motorcycle. :jap: