Thai Wife (u.s. Citizen) Visa Requirements

I am a U.S. citizen and am planning to apply for a retirement visa to Thailand. I know that I will, if approved, get a one year visa which is renewable each year. My wife who is a U.S. citizen travels on a U.S. passport. She also has a Thai ID card and is considered in Thailand as holding dual citizenship. My question is - does she has to maintain a Thai visa if we want to leave the country for trips to the U.S. and do they have multiple entry/exit visas for retirement people? If she has to maintain a visa, what kind would it be?

As a dual national, she can enter and leave Thailand on her Thai passport, and as such, has no need for any visa for a stay in Thailand of any length. If she is in the US, she can apply for a Thai passport through the Thai embassy there.

For travel elsewhere in the world, she should use he US passport to enter those countries and thus obviate the need for a visa as US citizens generally do not require a visa to enter many country's.

For instance, leave Thailand - use Thai passport

enter and leaving US - use US passport

Return to Thailand - use Thai passport to reenter the country.

Do a search under 'dual nationality' (big red search buttong at the top), as your question has been answered many times.

Good luck!

My question is - does she has to maintain a Thai visa if we want to leave the country for trips to the U.S. and do they have multiple entry/exit visas for retirement people?

The cheapest way, as samran says, is for her to get a Thai passport (with her Thai ID card, should not be a problem), then use both it and her US passport when travelling.

Now, if she wants to use only her US passport, she can enter Thailand without any visa (by the so-called 30-day visa on arrival), then after arrival, go to Immigration and get a one-year extension of stay based on her Thai nationality. Unlike you, she does NOT need a NonImmigrant visa for her extension. However, like you, she'll pay 1900 baht for the extension and 3800 baht for a multi entry stamp. So, as said, much cheaper the dual passport route.

(My dual citizen wife has gotten her US passport extended now for several years, even tho' she has a Thai passport. She's somewhat paranoid about a situation happening at the airport, which I've tried to explain is nothing to worry about. However, this should change soon -- I hope -- as she *does* understand the value of 5700 baht.)

Thank you Samran and Jim. My wife liked the idea of the using of two passports. I think that is the way we will go. She is going to get her Thai passport when she returns to Thailand this coming November.

From what I understand, I just have to apply for the multi enter/exit visa when I apply for my retirement visa. I will check with the Thai Embassy before I apply.

Thanks again for the info.

dcas

DCAS,

just to clarify, if she is going to use the two passport route, she will need to get the passport through the embassy in Washington BEFORE she departs. That way she can enter the country on that Thai passport.

If she waits till she arrives in thailand to get her passport, entering (presumably) on her US passport, she will be subject to all visa requirements like any other foreigner.