Songkran 2011

ArtVandalay84

I'm trying to find out what the exact dates are to expect the water festivities to be in full swing around Tae Pae Gate and the motes. Different websites keep giving me conflicting information. I arrive in Chiang Mai on the 8th and plan to be there till the 15th. One website says that they don't even start throwing water till the 14th but other people seem to say it goes on all week. What's the real deal or do the Thais just kinda make it up as they go along?

In Chiang Mai Songkran starts earlier than anywhere else and ends later than anywhere else. Thais don't really pay attention to what the different websites tell you. Just make sure if you have a cell phone to keep it in a waterproof bag or leave it at your hotel.

No-one ever knows when it starts in Chiang Mai it just does. Don't worry if you are here until the 15th you will get plenty of days to play. If the weather stays like the last few days I think it will start on Monday.

You can pretty much count of Children starting on Saturday April 9, with the rest joining in probably as of Monday the 11th and continuing thru the following weekend 16th -17th.

Used to love it when it was just a one day event years ago.

Now, blah blah blah. Stay home or in my car, office, or shopping center.

Otherwise, I avoid riding the motorcycle or walking anywhere at all during this time.

Edited by lbjcb

Sorry, but it has never been a one day event in Chiang Mai..

I figure the 11th through the 15th will be the heavy days,

In Chiang Rai it has already started for some kids :)

The official holiday is 13, 14, 15th. However the water throwing will no doubt start on Saturdy 9th or Sunday 10th as next week is considered by most as a writeoff ( ie: a long weeks holiday) even tho many businesses will still be open on 11 and 12.

I saw some kids with water pistols out this morning on my my way out, so i guess it sorta started already..