Lenovo Laptops In Chiang Mai

CPT

i was going to get a Lenovo, ended up getting an Acer Aspire with i5 processor, and have no regrets whatsover.

never even gets warm, and is lighter than anything made by Lenovo.

i was going to get a Lenovo, ended up getting an Acer Aspire with i5 processor, and have no regrets whatsover.

A Thinkpad is a completely different world to an Acer Aspire. Lol.

Chi-Chang in Pantip was where I bought my Ideapad. I think that's closed but I'm pretty sure they have branches in Airport, Central etc.

... snip ... ended up getting an Acer Aspire with i5 processor, and have no regrets whatsover.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun KRS1,

If you purchased here in Chiang Mai, feel comfortable disclosing what model you purchased, when and where you purchased, and now much you paid, that would be appreciated ! If you had any "upgrades" (memory) over the standard "specs" for the model you paid, would also appreciate knowing what you paid for those.

thanks, ~o:37;

There is a dedicated but small Lenovo shop at the second floor of the airport plaza where they sell certain ThinkPad modells of the Edge, T and X series. Chi Chang or Hardware House at the same floor have a ThinkPad now and then. The same goes for the Panthip Plaza.

There is not much choice in CM and prices are much higher than in the US, as most models here come without Windows operation software.

With the new models ( T420, T520, T420s, W520 and X220 just being introduced, it would be best to order one from an US dealer that ships to Thailand. There is no import duty for laptops, but you would have to pay 7% VAT

What screen size are you looking for?

Edited by Orita

There is a dedicated but small Lenovo shop at the second floor of the airport plaza where they sell certain ThinkPad modells of the Edge, T and X series. Chi Chang or Hardware House at the same floor have a ThinkPad now and then. The same goes for the Panthip Plaza.

There is not much choice in CM and prices are much higher than in the US, as most models here come without Windows operation software.

With the new models ( T420, T520, T420s, W520 and X220 just being introduced, it would be best to order one from an US dealer that ships to Thailand. There is no import duty for laptops, but you would have to pay 7% VAT

What screen size are you looking for?

Thanks for the reply!

I'm looking for the X series (12 inch screen) which now seems to be the x201 and, as you pointed out, soon the x220 (there is also a netbook version that I'm not interested in). I checked out the Lenovo shop in airport plaza a couple months ago and they didn't really have anything I'd be interested in. When I asked about the X series they gave me a flyer that listed a couple systems (Centrino based I believe) with very outdated specs at exorbitant prices.

Is there really no duty on Laptops? For 7% VAT I think you are right, I should just order what I want and have it shipped here.

If you are looking for a 12 inch ThinkPad, wait another week or so, and the new X220 will be available in the US.

i7 processors and 9 hour battery life by 1.4 KG weight. Check out the Lenovo US website for details.

Yes, only 7% VAT on the CIF price and no import duty.

Unless you need a Thai / English keyboard, it would make more sense to get it from the US including

3 years international warranty and Win 7 Pro.

Of course, if you just need a laptop, any laptop, there are plenty available in CM, but ThinkPads are the gold

standard of laptops so I feel, passing even military spec. testing, and are my first choice if it comes to

mobile computing. I had a few already, and every time I was extremely happy.

Edited by Orita

Unless you need a Thai / English keyboard, it would make more sense to get it from the US including

Good to know! I've been a little worried about the OS situation here also...

Edited by CPT

If you are looking for a 12 inch ThinkPad, wait another week or so, and the new X220 will be available in the US.

i7 processors and 9 hour battery life by 1.4 KG weight. Check out the Lenovo US website for details.

Of course, if you just need a laptop, any laptop, there are plenty available in CM, but ThinkPads are the gold

standard of laptops so I feel, passing even military spec. testing, and are my first choice if it comes to

mobile computing. I had a few already, and every time I was extremely happy.

Agreed - used them and their IBM predecessors on the road for many many years (and so did/do several thousand of my consulting and accounting ex-colleagues). Not the quickest thing on the bloc, but boy are they robust. The Chinese seem to have understood their USP and not compromised. Would not consider another make despite them being expensive.

1.4kg - sounds like it's 0.2 kg heavier than my old X60s. Oh - must be with the high capacity battery.

A Thinkpad is a completely different world to an Acer Aspire. Lol.

Chi-Chang in Pantip was where I bought my Ideapad. I think that's closed but I'm pretty sure they have branches in Airport, Central etc.

You're right, Thinkpads cost 3 times as much, are more than twice as heavy, have keyboards that feel funny,run hot, utilize slower 32 bit windows, have less ram, lethargic video capabilities,smaller hard drives, and have horrible sound quality.

... snip ... ended up getting an Acer Aspire with i5 processor, and have no regrets whatsover.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun KRS1,

If you purchased here in Chiang Mai, feel comfortable disclosing what model you purchased, when and where you purchased, and now much you paid, that would be appreciated ! If you had any "upgrades" (memory) over the standard "specs" for the model you paid, would also appreciate knowing what you paid for those.

thanks, ~o:37;

I didnt purchase in thailand but the same models can be found. I use the aspire 5745 (i5)and had an aspire 5551 (amd dual core), both run cool and have the best keyboards i have ever used . The 5745 has the best sound i have ever heard come from a laptop, including a comparison from a high dollar Toshiba Quosmio.

On average i have about 14 browser tabs open, 3 multimedia programs running, media player playing, mp3's downloading and wifi active at almost all times and it still never gets hot or crashes. The laptop is also very thin and extremely light. I get 4-5 hours battery life, but the battery pack is so small that it would not be a problem at all to carry around another battery.

It is an awesome laptop, best buying decision i've made in a very long time, and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

KRS1 said: You're right, Thinkpads cost 3 times as much, are more than twice as heavy, have keyboards that feel funny,run hot, utilize slower 32 bit windows, have less ram, lethargic video capabilities,smaller hard drives, and have horrible sound quality.

--------

Great, if you are happy with your Acer, and most would agree that it is a reasonably good computer brand.

Your statements regarding ThinkPad laptops are not based on real facts however.

• X220, as well as the T420s are the lightest in theirs class
  • Thinkpad keyboards are considered the best available keyboards on any laptop.
  • Speakers are at least as good as the average, but a ThinkPad is a business computer and not a dedicated multi-media machine.
  • They use the same Intel processors as anyone else, and come in i3, i5 and i7 versions. Need speed? Get a i7 ThinkPad.
  • They use the same sized hard disks as anyone else including the option of SSD drives. Need 500 GB? Available!
  • They come with as much RAM as you like, and run cooler than most laptops.
  • They have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit installed.
  • They use the same video systems as anyone else, either Intel integrated or switchable Nvidia Optimus.
  • They are not 3 times as expensive, but you get what you pay for.
    Don't take my word for it of course. Google for reviews on ThinkPad or go the the Lenovo web site, download PDF spec. sheets and compare them to your Acer.
    Now, where they really stand out is in build quality. They come with magnesium and carbon frames, are military spec. tested and certified, have a spill proof keyboard, withstand drops to the floor, and generally hold up better than anything else.
    Again, search Youtube for "ThinkPad torture test", and have a look at what they do to them and they still keep working.
    While I wish you all the best with your Acer, I would never consider anything else other than a ThinkPad for my mobile computer needs.

Edited by Orita

• the x220 and t420 are 12.5" and 14" laptops of course they are lighter, the acer is a 15.6" widescreen....
  • the keyboards are considered the best but really, they are not... if you ever tried a acer 5745 keyboard you might agree...it s the best one i have ever used with chicklet style island keys.
  • the t420 speakers are below average and sound like tin cans. 5745 speakers have excellent bandwidth.
  • processors are not created equal, eventhough you have an i5, does not mean that they are all the same speeds, there are variants.
  • the t420 uses a 250 gb vs the acers 500 gb, they dont seem like the same size to me, unless you are dreaming
  • the t420 comes with 2 gb ram vs acers 4gb of ram, do you have reoccurring nightmares?
  • os is the same for the thinkpad series , but not other series.
  • video systems are not the same,the acer 5745 is a 15.6" widescreen display vs 12" and 14" for the lenovos
  • after upgrading to the same specs as the Acer it is almost 3 times as expensive, so lets say 2.5 times for the t420.
  • Acer 5745+ $650....t420=$1200.....x220=$1300.........i can keep a spare acer and back up files to it, incase i am a moron and drop it, which i seriously doubt will kill it anyway.
  • Acer 5745 has 4 usbs and HDMI....t420 has 3 and no HDMI

Looks like you are the one that has not done a comparison between the two brands.

Ive never dropped or spilled anything on a laptop, because im not an uncoordinated ape. Even if i was, id just get a keyboard skin and a good laptop bag to cushion any drops that may happen.

As far as pricing goes, Lenovos are jacked up in Thailand, Acer prices their goods more affordably. and realistically

Bet you wish the edit button gave you more time.

Edited by KRS1

KRS1 said: You're right, Thinkpads cost 3 times as much, are more than twice as heavy, have keyboards that feel funny,run hot, utilize slower 32 bit windows, have less ram, lethargic video capabilities,smaller hard drives, and have horrible sound quality.

--------

Great, if you are happy with your Acer, and most would agree that it is a reasonably good computer brand.

Your statements regarding ThinkPad laptops are not based on real facts however.

• X220, as well as the T420s are the lightest in theirs class
  • Thinkpad keyboards are considered the best available keyboards on any laptop.
  • Speakers are at least as good as the average, but a ThinkPad is a business computer and not a dedicated multi-media machine.
  • They use the same Intel processors as anyone else, and come in i3, i5 and i7 versions. Need speed? Get a i7 ThinkPad.
  • They use the same sized hard disks as anyone else including the option of SSD drives. Need 500 GB? Available!
  • They come with as much RAM as you like, and run cooler than most laptops.
  • They have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit installed.
  • They use the same video systems as anyone else, either Intel integrated or switchable Nvidia Optimus.
  • They are not 3 times as expensive, but you get what you pay for.
    Don't take my word for it of course. Google for reviews on ThinkPad or go the the Lenovo web site, download PDF spec. sheets and compare them to your Acer.
    Now, where they really stand out is in build quality. They come with magnesium and carbon frames, are military spec. tested and certified, have a spill proof keyboard, withstand drops to the floor, and generally hold up better than anything else.
    Again, search Youtube for "ThinkPad torture test", and have a look at what they do to them and they still keep working.
    While I wish you all the best with your Acer, I would never consider anything else other than a ThinkPad for my mobile computer needs.

I totally agree with you! Had Acers before, but always went back quickly to Thinkpads because of huge differences in quality of components, service(!), drivers etc. etc.

Have been sticking with them ever since.

Getting back to the OP and veering away from any, in my opinion, NO possible comparison between Acers and Thinkpads :D I think I saw some shops in Pantip plaza recently, however buying one custom-to-order is cheaper in the US. Try get one from there.

• 4 months later...

KRS1, Judging by your highly emotional response, I must have somehow insulted your ego.

This was not intended. If for you Acer is the best, Acer it is, then.

I wouldn't bother; you can't educate pork. ;)

KRS1; not only did you hijack a legit thread, you made yourself look a complete tool comparing apples & oranges. The OP was after info on LENOVO, not freaking Acer. The latter are ok for messing about with, but you're comparing a layman's tool with a solid business machine that is built to last 10 years+. Better keyboard indeed. :lol: