Android Pads

TimeBandit2

I'm not very versed in "Pads", hardware, software or otherwise. I have a friend who wishes to purchase a gift for his wife - she says she wants an iphone, but he's convinced she should have an Android OS pad of some kind.

Being of a PC bend, I told him to get her a (vastly more functional) netbook or an old iphone. He is unconvinced.

He says that in Pantip plaza they sell generic Android OS Pads, they take SD cards, have superior performance to Apple's line, etc.

So...are these worth a dam_n? Never mind the "iprestige", is the user experience acceptable? Is the software up to it? Will the unit have to be jailbroken or something to use its full potential?

He wants me to go along with him - I suppose he trusts my instincts, but I don't buy electronic hardware based on instinct, I do it after research.

These are not branded models however - they are not Xooms or Nexuses or something. Anyway...I can't research these things without model numbers.

Has anyone owned one of these genera-pads? Is there some irritating problem with them? (Like no multi-touch, a crummy accelerometer, or something)

Thanks.

She wants a phone, he is pushing a tablet (very clumsy to use as a phone). Sounds like a problem certain to come up down the road, techno merits irrelevant.

The Android tablets are just coming of age with the Honecomb version of the OS. The reviews by reputable experts eg. Anandtech generally agree that none of the Android tablets are yet on a par with the iPad, and that is not a phone by any stretch of imagination.

I would suggest a top Android phone such as the Samsung Galaxy or one of the HTC models. Such must have at least Android 2.2, preferrably 2.3.

I have been told that future pads will run with Android 3, which is not compatible with 2.2 or 2.3.

So perhaps your buddy should wait a couple of months until the new generation of pads will come out. There is a whole bunch of new pads about to be launched in the next few months. Don't rush!

If the lady wants a phone... buy her a phone.... the Galaxy tab is good for "enthusiasts" but that's about it. The Xoom is the only Android tablet to run Honeycomb - the first Android OS made for tablets - but it's more expensive than the iPad.

This time next year there should be more competition to the iPad. At the moment - pretty much nothing.

PS bang for the buck I firmly believe nothing beats a second hand iPhone 3GS - it's fast, it's good, it runs the latest OS like a champ - it's a full blown iPhone. And it costs 11k - 12k. Only thing you need to watch out for is that it's factory unlocked. I just sold one such phone, brand new (warranty replacement) for 11k.

Edited by nikster

Best to wait for the new Honeycomb tablets at this stage - the Samsung 10.1 looks good, but its not available until June.

Samsung's CEO all but admitted that it's not as good as the iPad 2 though. Even though it's not even out yet. Even though he's the freaking CEO of Samsung! So worth waiting for... I think not. If you're waiting for a truly competitive Android tablet, you're looking more at a 2012 time frame.

Edited by nikster

There's also the Samsung 8.9, which is due out sometime later this year (I think this is an entirely reactionary device because they've made it thinner than the iPad 2). I agree that a grandma-compatible Android tab probably won't happen until 2012. Me, I'll probably be very happy with a 10.1.

My main problem with the iPad is actually iTunes. I absolutely do not want to be welded into the iTunes ecosystem. It's not a feature its an impediment and I'm fairly sure the iPad will gather dust once I get hold of a decent Android model.

The Motorola Xoom seems to be attracting quite unfavourable reviews unfortunately. But there also seem to be a lot of reviews saying if you already have an iPad its not worth the upgrade, wait for version 3.

We looked at several pads yesterday, most of them no-name brands.

The touch screens were unresponsive, they didn't have good browser integration, and the nifty keyboards they came with didn't even work. Some of them weren't even multi-touch, or had to have gestures repeated in order to get them to stick. In the end he went with an older model iPhone (3G) and I think she'll be happy with it.

Thanks for all the responses.

Many cheep android pads don't have access to the android market. You will need to side load all programs. And most come with android 2.x. you would want at least a froyo tablet (2.2) for flash support.

Keep your eyes peeled for the Acer Iconia Tab A500

Great specs with honeycomb coming out end of April (wifi only) for US$450