Nissan March Vs. Mazda 2

Pinot

Not wanting to drive around on a motorbike for another rainy season in Kamala, I put a deposit of 5000b down on a Nissan March the last week in February in Pucket. They said it would be here by the end of March. Ten days into April (45 days) and no sign of it. They said the floods were holding up shipment. Not buying that story any longer, I went car shopping again. My original plan was to get the least expensive: hatchback but even the best plans… This time Honda Jazz was my first choice: 3 months on delivery! Across the street from Honda was Mazda with plenty of stock on hand. Decided to go with the Mazda 2. Only had it a couple of days but I think this will be a better car than the March, well worth the price difference. It is a more expensive car at 570k vs. 459k for the entry level automatics. By the time you got the March out the door after paying insurance, registration, transportation, car cover, rust proofing and even a tank of gas the bottom line was 486k. They give you nothing except window tinting. The Mazda 2 out the door was 570k, everything including roadside assistance was included! AND a silver tip exhaust, that sealed the deal.

The Mazda 2 is a 1.5 liter with a 4 speed automatic. This is older technology but shifts are smooth and quiet. They've taken a lot of weight out of the car so the 100 HP engine does feel fast. Gas mileage is similar with this class at around 30. Probably could be better with a five speed automatic. It feels great driving it, very solid. Rear seating is okay. 60/40 split seat. Lots of space when you fold the rear seats down. The Yaris and Jazz have more room because you can fold the seats down and further forward so the back is flat. The March and Mazda just fold down so it's not flat back there. The Mazda has ABS and EBS. The March model I ordered didn't. Both cars just had the Drivers airbag. Dual bags and alloys for the next model at 640k for the Mazda vs. probably 550k for a similarly equipped March (With the add-ons list 529k). The March has a 3 cylinder 1.2 (79 HP) mated to a CVT transmission. It drove well but the Mazda was simply better. Everything about it is superior to the March.

I thought I could learn to love the looks for the March. It's not a great looking car. The Mazda 2 does look sharp. One of the things I like is the steel wheels on the Mazda look great even with the plastic covers. You really have to look hard to see they're not alloys. The March wheels look cheap. The whole car looks cheap. The Mazda is a better car and worth the price difference.

One other thing I should add. I didn't want to co-sign with a Thai so I thought financing was out. I read here that if you put down 50%, you could do it. They fought a little and I had to jump through a couple of hoops but they did it at 2.4%.

So a big thumbs up for the Mazda 2. I'm styling. I've got a trip to Issan planned after Songkran. Maybe I'll report on the new car's behavior and the Thai girl's driving. :shock1:

You got a great deal on that Mazda, I hope you enjoy it. I agree with you that the March is overpriced for what it is: it's a lower-class of vehicle than the Mazda2/Fiesta/Yaris/Jazz and the March's selling-point of fuel economy is highly misleading as LPG/NGV bi-fuel cars are heaps cheaper to run.

This discussion of types (in Thai) of fuel went right over my head when the salesman was discussing this in the showroom. Looking into it a little further the Mazda 2 can use the E20 fuel. Looking online today E20 sells for 34.94b/L. The 91 ron sells for 43.24b/L. The E20 looks like it has limited availability. Good to know anyway that's a significant savings if you can find it.

Fuel Prices

This discussion of types (in Thai) of fuel went right over my head when the salesman was discussing this in the showroom. Looking into it a little further the Mazda 2 can use the E20 fuel. Looking online today E20 sells for 34.94b/L. The 91 ron sells for 43.24b/L. The E20 looks like it has limited availability. Good to know anyway that's a significant savings if you can find it.

Fuel Prices

One article on a thai website said you need to drive the mazda 2 easily as hard driving causes quite high fuel consumption. My wife's colleague got the march - shes a new driver and takes it fairly easily and averages 20 km/l and can get up to 30 km / l. So the march really is for those who wan't a cheap economical car - The mazda and jazz are in another segment so it makes comparisons difficult, but I guess you can judge their "value for money".

Most of these smaller model cars run on e20, including the march and new brio. There's cost cutting in these eco cars. For example the seat recliner handle in the march looks cheap and flimsy. When I looked at the brio at the motor show I was stunned to see that the front part of the engine bay wasn't even completely sprayed in the car's body colour. I was stunned and found that to be the same on each car. How much time / money did they save by not spraying that?? The single piece seat was also a bit offputting. Apart from that the car looked fine, but that detail really spoiled it. I doubt many of the young nubile Thais ordering it even looked in the engine bay.

Fuel Prices

E20 is only a baht cheaper per litre than 91 Gasohol (E10) and while E20 releases less pollutants due to higher ethanol content it delivers noticeably poorer mileage.

Wouldnt getting a Good diesel pickup 3-4 years old be cheaper in gas and in price than getting one of those small slow cars?

It's not slow. I've often driven in a friends new turbo diesel. The Mazda has some zoom zoom and is nimble. Turning circle on both these cars under 4.5 meters and easy to park. There isn't that much savings over new pickups. I just didn't want to drive a pickup.

At Nissan today collecting my deposit. Lead time now quoted at 3 months for the March. Made in Thailand but some parts from Japan. Same thing is happening with in America with some scheduled shut downs of manufacturing there by Toyota.

That's my color choice above. Looks cool with the mirrored tinting.

Wouldnt getting a Good diesel pickup 3-4 years old be cheaper in gas and in price than getting one of those small slow cars?

The Mazda2 will be quicker than the 3 litre pickups and has higher top end. Plus much, much more fun, quieter and easier to drive and park especially in the city.

The Mazda2 will be quicker than the 3 litre pickups and has higher top end. Plus much, much more fun, quieter and easier to drive and park especially in the city.

Mazda 2 quicker than 0-100 kmh in 10 seconds and faster than 190 kmh? Not in my experience

and then load the pickup with 500 kg and the 2 with 350 kg, and you wont see the 2 any more

My 2006 Yaris, specs on par with Mazda 2, I really had to whip the one time I used it Phuket- Hua Hin to manage 160 kmh on the highway. My Vigos and Fortuner has/had 3000 rpm at 160 kmh

Right, I'll get a Mazda 2 and try to beat my friend on a long distance drive in his Fortuner, I'd have no chance.

Edited by MrsMills

Mazda 2 quicker than 0-100 kmh in 10 seconds and faster than 190 kmh? Not in my experience

and then load the pickup with 500 kg and the 2 with 350 kg, and you wont see the 2 any more

My 2006 Yaris, specs on par with Mazda 2, I really had to whip the one time I used it Phuket- Hua Hin to manage 160 kmh on the highway. My Vigos and Fortuner has/had 3000 rpm at 160 kmh

reminds me of my old days with my hyundai, going 6000 rpm for 150km/h on the highway.. even my old 89 V8 in line Jeep wrangler CJ was under the 3500 mark at 150km/h, 15 years after it was made(and not taken care of)

reminds me of my old days with my hyundai, going 6000 rpm for 150km/h on the highway.. even my old 89 V8 in line Jeep wrangler CJ was under the 3500 mark at 150km/h, 15 years after it was made(and not taken care of)

Which stock pickups get to 100 in 10 seconds? I thought most would be about 12-13 seconds, similar to the mazda 2 auto. The manual mazda 2 is about 11-11.5 sec top speed in the manaul is about 180 km/h, slower in the auto). From what I can find the new vigo 2.5 smart cab does the 0-100 in about 12.5 seconds / top speed 175. To me they look similar on paper. Where they differ is in acceleration from 80-120 km/h where the superior torque of pickups will shine.

Which stock pickups get to 100 in 10 seconds? I thought most would be about 12-13 seconds, similar to the mazda 2 auto. The manual mazda 2 is about 11-11.5 sec top speed in the manaul is about 180 km/h, slower in the auto). From what I can find the new vigo 2.5 smart cab does the 0-100 in about 12.5 seconds / top speed 175. To me they look similar on paper. Where they differ is in acceleration from 80-120 km/h where the superior torque of pickups will shine.

No current stock pickup in Thailand accelerates as fast as a stock Mazda2 5MT, and it's not just faster 0-100, it also beats them all handily from 80-120 (low 8s)

No current stock pickup in Thailand accelerates as fast as a stock Mazda2 5MT, and it's not just faster 0-100, it also beats them all handily from 80-120 (low 8s)

I was in my friends Fortuner and he was going ridiculous speeds (180+ ) and accelerating from traffic lights and nothing came close to overtaking him, maybe he had a special chipped engine, I don't know, but it seemed very fast compared with other traffic in Thailand.

Some young Thais in a Honda Jazz were subject to flashing lights and tailgate intimidation as they tried to out accelerate him, they pulled over and let us pass, I didn't like it as I wasn't driving, but it must have been awful for the Jazz passengers, the Fortuner is one big motor in your rear mirror, and it would be a no brainer as to the outcome of Jazz v Fortuner crash.

To be honest, I was glad to get out of the car, but I have to admit, Fortuners DO kick ass !!

Edited by MrsMills

Yeah I've heard the manual version of the mazda 2 is the most fun to drive. Still I'm looking for performance times for the new jazz manual, but haven't been able to find them. That's pretty impressive for the 80-120 times; I think my civic 2.0 has similar times.

Yeah I've heard the manual version of the mazda 2 is the most fun to drive. Still I'm looking for performance times for the new jazz manual, but haven't been able to find them. That's pretty impressive for the 80-120 times; I think my civic 2.0 has similar times.

Civic 2.0 5AT does 0-100 in mid 10's and 80-120 in high 7's, so faster than Mazda2.

The Civic 2.0L 5AT, Mazda 3 2.0L 4AT, Lancer GT 2.0L CVT and Altis minor change 1.8L CVT all within +/- 0.3s of each other in our testing (and all faster than Mazda2 5MT).

Fastest in the C segment is the Focus TDCi 6AT and the minor change Altis 2.0L CVT, which are both mid 9s 0-100.

All of the above accelerate faster than any current stock pickup, up to 120km/hr. High speed cruising will always be the domain of high torque/low revs Turbo Diesels though.

Civic 2.0 5AT does 0-100 in mid 10's and 80-120 in high 7's, so faster than Mazda2.

The Civic 2.0L 5AT, Mazda 3 2.0L 4AT, Lancer GT 2.0L CVT and Altis minor change 1.8L CVT all within +/- 0.3s of each other in our testing (and all faster than Mazda2 5MT).

Fastest in the C segment is the Focus TDCi 6AT and the minor change Altis 2.0L CVT, which are both mid 9s 0-100.

All of the above accelerate faster than any current stock pickup, up to 120km/hr. High speed cruising will always be the domain of high torque/low revs Turbo Diesels though.

and the major difference appears when you load them. loaded equally with 5 adults, the tourqy pickups/Fortuna/PJS leave the rest at 80 kmh. Throw in a 200 kg bike in the pickupbed, and it still leaves the rest

Put close to 1000 km on the Mazda in the last few days driving from Phuket to Isan. The car is fine but one thing is driving me crazy. Never having driven here before I'm constantly turning on the windshield wipers instead of the turn signals. That's what 40 years of driving in America with the turn signals on the left will do to you. I'm getting slightly better.

15.7 KPL. Cheaper to fly?

Put close to 1000 km on the Mazda in the last few days driving from Phuket to Isan. The car is fine but one thing is driving me crazy. Never having driven here before I'm constantly turning on the windshield wipers instead of the turn signals. That's what 40 years of driving in America with the turn signals on the left will do to you. I'm getting slightly better.

Yep, takes some gettin used to and it's also not the same on all car models plays hell with you when you rent a lot..

Maybe, also quicker and maybe more comfortable but think of all the memories you have now..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Exactamundo.

Switched a few months ago from Mazda 3 2.0 to a Corolla Altis 2.0 dual vvt-i CVT. While I miss the agility of the Mazda I must say that i'm very impressed with the acceleration and fuel consumption of the Altis.

The funny thing is that with this CVT you don't feel the sensation of accelerating like in a turbocharged diesel but in fact it's possible to outrun all stock Pick-Up trucks, Fortuners, Pajero's, etc. (even Camry 2.4 and Accord 2.4) Not only 0-100 km/h but also 50-80 km/h or 80-120 km/h. This car has all it's torque available at a relatively (for a NA gasoline engine) low 3600RPM.. In combination with CVT (7 speed pre-programmed) one can drive it as a diesel. 160 km/h the engine only runs at 3000RPM.. My average fuel consumption is now 17.40 km/l or 40 MPG (with 80% highway / 20% city driving)

OT: Mazda 2 1.5 MT is the way to go. beats any stock pick-up truck / SUV in terms of acceleration and overtaking, road handling is superb. Zoom-Zoom!

Cheers.

The M2 and the March are in different classes.

3 cylinders vs. 4, 1.2 vs. 1.5

However for that extra money you will get much more car with the M2 over the March.

My friend also deposited 5000k for a March only to have the deposit returned.

He bought a Vios instead.

The dealers cannot deliver and it seems the March production line is fully booked.

Either loads of people are buying them or the factory can't make them fast enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I've put 2000 km on the car driving from Phuket all around Isan. I averaged 14.5 kpl. Got as high as 15.7 with strictly highway driving and 12.5 around the city. Car was flawless. Plenty of power for highway driving and comfortable to drive.

I think I learned to drive again after a a couple of years on a motorbike in the last two weeks. I got to say, there are many drivers out there with a death wish on the roads of Thailand. Drive defensively.

At Nissan today collecting my deposit. Lead time now quoted at 3 months for the March. Made in Thailand but some parts from Japan. Same thing is happening with in America with some scheduled shut downs of manufacturing there by Toyota.

3 months is not a surprise ... as I was told 9 months some time ago. I was surprised to read in Chiangmai mail that Nissan has no more back-log on orders on March model ;-)

Nissan is again the winner, with currently no back-log on orders for their March eco-car. However, Nissan admits that by July, the situation might be different, as parts will be running low by that time.

P.