Police Nab Over The Limit Foreigners In South Pattaya Checkpoint

Rimmer

Police fine four foreigners in south Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- An early morning checkpoint based around the police box at the corner of South Pattaya road and Pratmanak Road in south Pattaya netted seven people, including four foreigners, who were charged and fined for being over the legal blood alcohol limit while driving a motorized vehicle.

Full story HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2011-04-13

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

So there isn't an automatic driving ban for being over the legal limit? Seems remarkably lenient, pay a fine at the station and off you go again.

Ah but its Songkran....so its ok, taking people to a police station, charging etc etc will take up valuble police drinking time...:whistling:

One of my Thai friends was nabbed early this morning and believe me it is a serious deal.

She has to front up 20k baht.

She is being processed this morning so don't know any more details.

So for others out there who are drinking and driving you might want to think twice.

It is a different penalty system than the UK but can be very severe here - as it is there.

20k is relatively cheap compared to some court awarded fines or even jail terms, let alone what the Police might decide to fine you.

The reality is, though, that whatever the penalty there are so many that just don't think or if they do think, then some kind of view set in that says being a foreigner they might bluster their way out of any situation when caught. Don't bet on that ! The money paid may just be a pre-court guarantee bond and if you can't rustle that up at 2am in the morning you could spend a night a jail.

If you must get drunk, then why not take a taxi ? And if you wouldn't risk your own life and other lives back home, why do it here ?

If you must get drunk, then why not take a taxi ? And if you wouldn't risk your own life and other lives back home, why do it here ?

That's a great idea. I'll just wave one of those yellow caps down and have him take me home on the meter. Cost probably around 100 baht or less.

Oh, they don't want to use the meter, insisting on charging ridiculous prices grabbed out of thin air, like 500 baht.

Oh well, maybe things change some day.

Edited by WyattEarp

Thai female friend of mine got caught in the massive roadblock on Soi Siam Country Club last night. She had one beer only, but had to do the breathalyzer test. Breathelyzer was out of battery, so a cop had to pop down to the 7/11 first to get new batteries. Then she was tested 0.0 and could go home, the policeman, however, asked her for her phone number :lol:

There were lots of Thais rounded up at the checkpoint and waiting for being deported to the Banglamung station by pick-up.

Be reminded that drunk driving in Thailand is a CRIMINAL offense and if you are caught and end up in court, you will lose your visa. B)

Be reminded that drunk driving in Thailand is a CRIMINAL offense and if you are caught and end up in court, you will lose your visa. B)

They were only out there to scam foreigners. They say in the report that they nabbed 7. How many went home after paying back-handers?

I see the police at that intersection everyday and I see what they do... they always get a few Thais just to make it seem like they're not focusing on foreigners.

These kind of reports give the false impression that the police here are genuinely concerned about road safety. If they were they would be doing random breath testing right through the night instead of starting on their first daylight shift when most drunks are already in bed.

They should be focusing on red light jumping, one-way street violators and other activities that are really dangerous instead of the easy job of pulling over un-helmeted motorcyclists. About 5am the other morning a full size passenger bus came barreling through the 3rd Road/Pattaya Klang intersection at least 5 seconds AFTER the light had changed nearly wiping out a dozen motorcyclists in the process. I have never seen the police here go after red light jumpers.

The police only focus on activities where they can easily pull over offenders. Usually motorcyclists only: 3 people on a bike with farang rider. Farang turning down one way streets which aren't marked. Farang turning left on "wait for light" intersections that no one else observes (and if you do stop you'll have some cars angrily honking for you to move out of their way) etc...

Edited by tropo

They were only out there to scam foreigners. They say in the report that they nabbed 7. How many went home after paying back-handers?

I see the police at that intersection everyday and I see what they do... they always get a few Thais just to make it seem like they're not focusing on foreigners.

These kind of reports give the false impression that the police here are genuinely concerned about road safety. If they were they would be doing random breath testing right through the night instead of starting on their first daylight shift when most drunks are already in bed.

They should be focusing on red light jumping, one-way street violators and other activities that are really dangerous instead of the easy job of pulling over un-helmeted motorcyclists. About 5am the other morning a full size passenger bus came barreling through the 3rd Road/Pattaya Klang intersection at least 5 seconds AFTER the light had changed nearly wiping out a dozen motorcyclists in the process. I have never seen the police here go after red light jumpers.

The police only focus on activities where they can easily pull over offenders. Usually motorcyclists only: 3 people on a bike with farang rider. Farang turning down one way streets which aren't marked. Farang turning left on "wait for light" intersections that no one else observes (and if you do stop you'll have some cars angrily honking for you to move out of their way) etc...

You are wrong they were not just targeting foreigners.

The police station was packed with Thais. In fact it was so packed that they took about 12 hours to process my f riend. She ended up paying 5500b baht. I am not sure exactly where in Pattaya she was caught but there is a blitz on at the moment. I know two other Thais who were caught as well.

You are wrong they were not just targeting foreigners.

At that particular intersection and a few other areas near Walking Street there is no doubt they are focusing on foreigners.