Police Check Points On The Railway Road

kevkev1888

So many rules, so much nonsense!!

I have been told that the simple answer in Thailand is - "Drink -no drive" some say that is the law, ie: absolutely no alchohol, i dont know for sure, i am certainly not going to take what any members here post as gospel, dont think that would hold up in Soi 9??

I did see a written law that said "only persons of 18 years or more could drive a motorcycle, and that motorcycle shall be limited to 80cc" We all know how that one turned out!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice come back beardog, good to see your capable of a copy and paste, why did you struggle with quoting my post ?

Also, where on the Australian Thai embassy website did you find your info, got a link ............Ohhh my bad you said it was from the US site, so infact your post is a baseless rebuttal to what you attempted to quote.

Hang it up Spoonman Just to show you I am still good at copy paste "Taken from the Ministry of foreign affairs under #2 required documents" . I already said I was sorry bout your girl. I was just giving you the facts & not opinion.

On Topic - Watch it going through Ban Ampur area. I saw 2 checkpoints one on each side of road

I paid 250 from beach road to a km past the track on time. Didn't the OP say he paid 10,000 to get out of his charge? Isn't the fine 2,000 - 10,000 if you go to court and can loose your visa? It makes 250 or 500 for that matter sound cheap. A taxi once and awhile won't break the bank, but I suppose if it's a daily thing...perhaps a ride is not your bigest problem.

I've paid $40 - $80 for a cab ride home after a night out when I knew I was over the legal limit back in the states, my brother who refuses to stop driving drunk has spent many thousands of dollars and had his license suspended for 8 years out of the last 10.

You may have negotiated a price of 200 with a bahtbus, but the (un)meter taxis won't do it for less than 500.

250-500 when the correct price is 50-100 is not cheap but a ripoff. Of course we now discuss a change in the enforcement of the law, let's see how long after songkran they will keep doing this. I recall it was similar, though not quite as bad, last year.

Edited by WyattEarp

Has anyone figured out what the legal limit is for Thailand? I don't believe that it is zero.

Taxi's are cheap, zero hassles.

Years ago I made up my mind to try to not break the law. I've paid for taxi's, got my paperwork in order because I don't like cops and don't like to be hassled. It's a no brainer.

this one always puzzles me, would you like to live in a counrty with no cops,hear people here and UK saying hate cops, but if kids go missing or wife gets raped who would you call boy scouts?

Years ago I made up my mind to try to not break the law. I've paid for taxi's, got my paperwork in order because I don't like cops and don't like to be hassled. It's a no brainer.

For anyone here long-term...it's surely the way to go. Why make oneself more vulnerable to harassment than we already are.

I paid 250 from beach road to a km past the track on time. Didn't the OP say he paid 10,000 to get out of his charge? Isn't the fine 2,000 - 10,000 if you go to court and can loose your visa? It makes 250 or 500 for that matter sound cheap. A taxi once and awhile won't break the bank, but I suppose if it's a daily thing...perhaps a ride is not your bigest problem.

I've paid $40 - $80 for a cab ride home after a night out when I knew I was over the legal limit back in the states, my brother who refuses to stop driving drunk has spent many thousands of dollars and had his license suspended for 8 years out of the last 10.

There is always the option of sleeping off one's inebriation in one of the dozens of short-time hotels scattered all around town. (Also a good excuse if one wants to step-out on the misses.). Most have a 24 hour rate of B 400-500. Much cheaper than a possible fine or accident.

can anyone tell me what the limit equates to in terms of number of drinks?

When I drove in the UK the general view was that you were safe to have one and a half pints and drive anything over was a risk. Though I did know of one or two people coming (just) under the limit at 2.5-3 pints.

I'm no longer a big drinker and a night in the bars generally consists of two draughts and a bottle. This looks like it would be over the limit and certainly not worth the risk.

Would I be on safe ground with two beers?

might want to try a standard drinks calculator

http://www.virtualmedicalcentre.com/calc.asp?calc=standard-drinks

according to this, in Australia/NZ a 250ml beverage with an average alchol content of 5% is one standard drink.

The rule of thumb in australia is that 2 standard drinks in the first hour and one ever hour after that keeps you under the legal limit of 0.05%

When I drove in the UK the general view was that you were safe to have one and a half pints and drive anything over was a risk. Though I did know of one or two people coming (just) under the limit at 2.5-3 pints.

I'm no longer a big drinker and a night in the bars generally consists of two draughts and a bottle. This looks like it would be over the limit and certainly not worth the risk.

I think it depends on many factors and everybody's body is different.

I was told the limit was 50 which I think is 0.50 mg or whatever the measurement is, the current UK limit is 0.35 so is lower than Thailand's.

I blew 0.75 I had only had 4 small Leo, over about 3 hours in the afternoon.

But I had not eaten anything at all that day which probably makes a big difference.

Maybe if I had gone for a decent meal and been stooped an hour latter I would have been under?

I guess up to 3 small beers you should be OK?

I wouldn't be too confident of getting away with having drunk one beer here just as i am not too confident in the accuracy of the breathalyzer or the competence of the plod that invites you to blow into it here in LOS....Put it this way, if he gets the slightest whiff of alcohol from you then do you think he will let you go when there is a potential 10k or whatever in it for him?

Has anyone figured out what the legal limit is for Thailand? I don't believe that it is zero.

Taxi's are cheap? Really? Where do you find a cheap taxi? Do you mean songtaew/bahtbus? Either way, any taxi or bahtbus is not cheap, from downtown Pattaya to the dark side they charge around 500 baht. The correct fare on the meter is somewhere between 50-100 baht, but the meter taxis refuse to use the meter.

Do something about the taxi situation in Pattaya and you've dealt with half of the DUI problem. But it's not going to happen as the only reason they stop people for DUI is to get money, they couldn't care less how many drunk drivers there are on the road. The more, the more money they earn.

Location, Location, Location.....choosing to live where it is cheaper brings with it other expenses, such as taxi/travel fares, nothing needs to be done about the taxis, Pattaya has one of the best syestems in Thailand...thats of course if you live in the city and not out in the jungle

Taxi's are cheap? Really? Where do you find a cheap taxi? Do you mean songtaew/bahtbus? Either way, any taxi or bahtbus is not cheap, from downtown Pattaya to the dark side they charge around 500 baht. The correct fare on the meter is somewhere between 50-100 baht, but the meter taxis refuse to use the meter.

Do something about the taxi situation in Pattaya and you've dealt with half of the DUI problem. But it's not going to happen as the only reason they stop people for DUI is to get money, they couldn't care less how many drunk drivers there are on the road. The more, the more money they earn.

Location, Location, Location.....choosing to live where it is cheaper brings with it other expenses, such as taxi/travel fares, nothing needs to be done about the taxis, Pattaya has one of the best syestems in Thailand...thats of course if you live in the city and not out in the jungle

You forgot that you get pollution and smelly air as well and even for free. No way I would stay again inside Pattaya city. If your drinking habits force you tondonlike this, maybe you shold have a second thought.

Skoll