Spouse Visa For The Uk

I am Getting married next month In Thailand but am not going to apply straight away for the Visa but leave it for maybe another six month while I make sure everything is secure i.e bank balance ect., I have read I can apply for a spouse Visa which will permit my wife to stay in the UK for up to 27 months before I have to apply for a settlement Visa. Any help or information on these processes would be invaluable to me has I am having difficulties trying to understand all the information.

Regards

Jeff

Yes that's correct if you go onto the ukba website you will get a lot of info there and also the guys and gals on this forum will give you a lot of solid information. Also you only need to give them 3 months bank statements and pay slips good luck best advice I can give you is make sure your application is well prepared and you can never give too much information.

The initial spouse visa will be valid for 27 months and once she has been in the UK for at least 24 months she can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Current costs:-

Initial visa: £810 payable in baht, currently 42120baht.

ILR: £972 by post or £1350 in person.

To apply for settlement as your fiance, wife or partner she will have to satisfy the English language requirement and provide a certificate to show that she is free from TB. You will also have to show that you can maintain and accommodate yourselves without recourse to public funds.

In order to apply for ILR she will need to first demonstrate that she has sufficient knowledge of life and language in the UK (KOL)

For the initial spouse visa see:-

Official UK visa application website in Thailand (for where and how to apply, current fee etc.)

Tuberculosis testing for applicants visiting the UK for longer than 6 months

SET17 - English language requirement

Maintenance and accommodation

Spouses

For ILR see:

Knowledge of language and life in the UK

Completing application form SET(M)

Thanks for that 7by7, I was also wondering if you can help me with this query ? I am coming to Thialand to get married next month but hold dual nationality, Republic of Ireland and the UK. I am going to get married as a UK citizen as the waiting time is less for the Affirmation of Marriage when appling with the UK but was thinking about applying for an EEA spouse Visa to bring my wife to the UK, do you have any info on this?

See EEA and Swiss nationals - visa application guide and EEA Family Permits.

Remember that if she enters the UK as the spouse of an EEA national she cannot then switch to being the spouse of a UK national, even though you hold dual nationality.

This means Permanent Residence after 5 years instead of ILR after 2 years.

Eligible to apply for citizenship after holding PR for 1 year, i.e. after 6 years in the UK instead of 3 years in the UK for the spouse of a British citizen.

If you mean the TB certificate; this has to be obtained before submitting the visa application as it has to be submitted with the application.

This means that one should not need to show the certificate to immigration on arrival in the UK as one would not have got the visa without it.

However, I recommend carrying it in one's hand baggage, just in case.

That is valid for 6 months including when she enters the UK right, not just 6 months until the application is made? So if you are not submitting your visa application until after another 6 months then no point doing the TB test yet considering you could then potentially have to wait another 3 months for a decision on the visa

• 1 month later...

The certificate has to be obtained from the IOM in Bangkok. If attending in the morning and no abnormalities are detected then you can collect the certificate that afternoon.

See Toddmeister's link and links from there for full details.