Ayutthaya 'Sex Lottery' Exposed, Cops Get Tough On Getting Lucky

webfact

Ayutthaya ‘sex lottery’ exposed, cops get tough on getting lucky

-1-VOWDdsu.jpg

Winning ‘players’ chose girls from a photo album.

Photo: Kom Chad Luek

AYUTTHAYA: -- An underground lottery in Ayutthaya province has given new meaning to the expression “getting lucky”.

Top prize in the draw, which was becoming increasingly popular with male factory workers in the central Thai province before the authorities got wind of it, was a night in bed with a young woman.

Early this month Ayutthaya Police made several arrests connected with the case after it became a sensation in the Thai press.

The so-called huai siao (“pleasure lottery”) involved betting on the last two digits of the winning number in Thailand’s government lottery.

Players could buy as many 30-baht tickets as they wanted. Whoever picked the winning number – there were usually several winners – could go to one of two hotels to claim their “prize”.

At the hotels, winners were reportedly given a booklet containing photographs of at least 10 pretty women aged 18-25 to choose from. Police said some of the women were factory workers themselves.

“Each time, I buy five or six tickets,” said one anonymous punter. “I think if I win it’ll be good value, as I’ll have only spent a bit more than 100 baht but I’ll be able to sleep with a young woman. But I haven’t won yet.”

Players could also reportedly buy “VIP” tickets that cost 100 baht each. Winners with VIP tickets were given the chance to sleep with attractive women who were claimed to be university students.

Dr Jiraphan Phimphan, chairman of the Ayutthaya Provincial Cultural Council, described the sex lottery as “disgusting” and said it dishonored women by valuing them at just 30 baht.

It was also damaging the image of the province, he added.

Under pressure following extensive press coverage of the sex lottery, Ayutthaya Police Deputy Commander Col Wutthiphong Phetkamnert ordered a thorough investigation into the practice.

On April 1, police raided the two hotels, arresting four young women and a man who was involved in the lottery.

Ayutthaya City Police Superintendent Col Narinat Phutthaisong said the suspects would be charged with soliciting and selling sex.

Police were expanding the investigation in an effort to arrest the sellers of tickets for the sex lottery, he added.

Source: Kom Chad Luek

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-04-21

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder how many tickets are sold in this lottery? How much do the girls get when their number photo is chosen? The odds may be better than the national lottery and at least the family won't be lined up to get their share. To say 30 baht is demeaning would seem to indicate a uninformed punter, or a habitual loser in a game of chance. This seems to be a old article or else this lottery is widespread.

Dr Jiraphan Phimphan, chairman of the Ayutthaya Provincial Cultural Council, described the sex lottery as “disgusting” and said it dishonored women by valuing them at just 30 baht.

Hope he didn't up the bid. :whistling:

Dr Jiraphan Phimphan, chairman of the Ayutthaya Provincial Cultural Council, described the sex lottery as "disgusting" and said it dishonored women by valuing them at just 30 baht.

Hope he didn't up the bid. :whistling:

Dr Jiraphan Phimphan, sour grapes?????????????????????????????????????

Players could also reportedly buy “VIP” tickets that cost 100 baht each. Winners with VIP tickets were given the chance to sleep with attractive women who were claimed to be university students.

ahahahaha

Guess Thai dudes are just as gullible as foreigners

If they sell 80% of 100 batches of 100 number at 30 bath a piece, they'll get 240,000 bt. every two weeks or about half a mil a month. They would pay for the young pros for, say 85 winners a session with room rent of 500 bt. The ringleader will pocket over 250 grands a month.whistling.gif

And once again, the image of Thailand is being eroded!!!!

Have you noticed something? It's mostly the Thais themselves who erode the country's oh so precious image - constantly, methodically, ignorantly.

Another question: For long have the police known about that lottery before they were practically forced to step in due to the media exposure? It's a rhetoric question, I know.

And once again, the image of Thailand is being eroded!!!!

Have you noticed something? It's mostly the Thais themselves who erode the country's oh so precious image - constantly, methodically, ignorantly.

Another question: For long have the police known about that lottery before they were practically forced to step in due to the media exposure? It's a rhetoric question, I know.

Good bet there is a police involvment in the organisation...hence the slow response, need cover some tracks before a token clamp down. Only to resurface a month or so later.

the report stated there are usually several winners....means they sell more than just one round of 100 tickets. A lot of money at stake so for sure have some police involvement behind the scenes.

As we are all thinking, isn't this just classic 2 faced thai thinking....in this case, it is against themselves.

It's perfectly ok for a farang to pay a BG for sex, for thai men to go to their karoakes, brothels, and sois with cheap prostitutes for factory/lower income earners at 500 bath per pop and up....or for a cheap farang to try his luck on beach road at nite....but it's wrong for some poor factory workers to do the same for just a "chance" at it. Most of them are just getting a little pleasure from the dream or fantasy.....

If they busted them for gambling, I can see that....but even then, the state has it's own lottery, though sanctioned.

Instead, they enforce the rarely enforced of selling sex...you know the one we all never break ;)

Yeah it is wrong, but it ain't consistent in their enforcement. TiT.

Players could also reportedly buy "VIP" tickets that cost 100 baht each. Winners with VIP tickets were given the chance to sleep with attractive women who were claimed to be university students.

ahahahaha

Guess Thai dudes are just as gullible as foreigners

So what do you get for a 30bt ticket, grandma?

Ayutthaya City Police Superintendent Col Narinat Phutthaisong said the suspects would be charged with soliciting and selling sex.

There is a place in Thailand were they could round up and charge maybe a 1,000 farangs per week for soliciting and just as many bargirls for selling it. I guess the BIB have never heard of this seaside city.