Thai Police To Launch Donation Campaign For Shootout

webfact

Police to launch donation campaign for shootout

By The Nation

Published on April 22, 2011

Members of the public can do their bit to help victims of last week's shooting rampage by sending short text messages to the number 4567891 between April 25 and May 31, the Metropolitan Police Bureau said yesterday.

In the meantime, the Rights and Liberties Protection Department (RLPD) has vowed to speed up the payment of compensation, including Bt150,000 for the family of the taxi driver who was shot dead while trying to help the police.

On April 25, the police will join forces with Suntec Corporation, TOT, DTAC, AIS and True Move to launch a caravan of cabs and police patrol vehicles at the Royal Plaza at 3pm to seek donations for the families of deceased Senior Sgt-Major Likhasit Pirasri, late cabbie Amnat Poungsung-noen and injured Senior Sgt-Major Jiroj Paponpat Boon-thongkham. It is reported that Ruamnakorn Tubtimthong-chai, an executive from Suntec, will present Bt1 million each to the families of Likhasit1 and Amnat.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Lt-General Jaktip Chaijinda, who will be presiding over the launch of the donation campaign, also said that national police chief General Wichean Potephosree had ordered all police units to start rehearsing hostage-rescue drills and be ready at all times. Jakthip said Bangkok police were always ready for such situations and would include patrol and traffic police teams in the drills as well to ensure better efficiency.

Meanwhile, RLPD director-general Suwanna Suwanjutha said the department had received requests for compensation from the affected families and would discuss them at a meeting on April 27.

According to civil-service criteria, Likhasit's family is entitled to Bt100,000, because they have already received other funds from the police force, while Amnat's family will get Bt150,000 (Bt100,000 for his death, Bt30,000 for the family's lack of future income and Bt20,000 for funeral expenses). The compensation request for Dr Pipattra Sailohit, who sustained gunshot wounds while she was taken hostage, is not complete because of pending medical bills, Suwanna said.

Yesterday, actress Khemanit "Pancake" Jamikorn presented the Bt50,000 raised from the "Family Love Family Race" campaign to Jiroj's wife, Thanyapat, and gave a teddy bear to their seven-year-old daughter. Visiting the injured traffic policeman at the Police General Hospital, the starlet said she was moved by the incident and had raised money to help officers who sustain injuries or die while on duty. The city police chief presented Khemanit with a certificate for the assistance.

The hospital's deputy spokesman Dr Supol Jongpanitkulthon said Jiroj had undergone neck surgery and would be in a cast until the bones healed. He added that the officer was young, so it wouldn't take that long for him to recover.

Meanwhile, Rajavithi Hospital director Dr Warunee Jinarat said that Pipattra's condition had improved after bullet fragments were removed from her back and arm, and since she was able to walk on her own now, she should be leaving the hospital in the next three or four days.

On Wednesday, a police officer from Prachuap Khiri Khan province presented Bt30,000 to Metropolitan Police Division 1 chief Wichai Sungprapa on behalf of the Friends Help Friends Club. Of the donation, Bt10,000 each will be given to Likhasit and Amnat's families and Bt5,000 each to Jiroj and Pipattra.

In related news, lead investigator Pol Colonel Weerawit Chancharoen said yesterday that all evidence would be kept transparent and the case will be handled without any favouritism. He reckons the investigation should be completed by May 15.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-22

Well it's nice to know just how thoughtful, considerate and caring the Thai Police are.

And I thought they just pulled English tourists out of the sea with a broken leg and told them 'It's minor. Go run it off.'

Donate money. Voluntaryily then. Of course the Police are the experts on 'voluntary' donations. I get flagged down all the time and invited to contribute 200 baht to the Thai Policeman's balls. I'd like to deliver some else to a Thai Policeman's balls, but that's another thing entirely.

So there we have it. Entrust your money to the Thai Police and after a commision, a tax, a top up off the Police holiday fund, something for the Police Orphans [ the Thai Police do make sure there are a lot of Orphans ], they'll pass on the rest. Usually ranks at one baht in the 100 if there happens to be an ''x' in the month.

If there is then a flying pig has to land at Suvanapoom, deliver a speech in the Isan dialect on the subject of binomial theorum and dance the fandango with Kylie till way after midnight.

Personally, I prefer to give my money direst to the poor farmer's daughters. At least it gets there.

How about you?

lol the BIB will overview the donations, so a lot might go missing in the end...

and the same bribe taking corrupted cops are in charge in case of a hostage situation .... 55555555555555

30.000 baht for future loss of income for the taxi drivers' family

did we not see a case a couple of days ago that one was asking 30.000.000 to some rich 16 year old girl family for loss of income ???

Edited by exbelg

Looking to get their money back for new car. Also the 44-88 number plates are going to be rather costly? :lol:

They really do need some form of proper training, for this type of situation. Instead of going in guns blazing and then asking the people they scam on a daily basis to help pay for their ineptitude. Teacher sue their <deleted> off? Cop line of duty, taxi driver, very unlucky. In most civilised Countries the matter of compensation would be taken care of by the governments compensation fund.

jb1

Looking to get their money back for new car. Also the 44-88 number plates are going to be rather costly? :lol:

They really do need some form of proper training, for this type of situation. Instead of going in guns blazing and then asking the people they scam on a daily basis to help pay for their ineptitude. Teacher sue their <deleted> off? Cop line of duty, taxi driver, very unlucky. In most civilised Countries the matter of compensation would be taken care of by the governments compensation fund.

jb1

I think the Thai government's compensation fund is exclusively for politicians.

I think they meant to say

Police to launch donation campaign for "Tea"

Have to agree I can't see the BIB passing on donations. Maybe they will tho after deducting 99% for administration fees.

So you can donate by sending a text message.

The Police came up with this idea?

The Police and the Military have had "issues" in the past, [and present.] The Police would like to have one of their own in the seat of power again.

So the biggest winners are going to be the phone companies, who are own by ex-police Politicians and their friends.

There is an election approaching. Lots of money needed to buy votes.

Is there a hidden agenda?

Surely not...

I am thinking that the authurities should declare that all dirty money recieved on one day ( lets say one nearing the end of the month) be donated to those families of the victims. should be millions?

The RTP should raise money from their own Generals for taxi driver family compensation, and for police tactical training. The doctor may sue the RTP for mishandling the case. Well, that will come out of our pockets.

The RTP should raise money from their own Generals for taxi driver family compensation, and for police tactical training. The doctor may sue the RTP for mishandling the case. Well, that will come out of our pockets.

Nearly forgot in all this hocus-pocus there also is the Dr.

Now that we are on that subject, what doctoring does she perform?

Under International Law and developed country’s laws when you graduate from a University the sheepskin states: the person has satisfactorily pursued the studies and satisfied the requirements for the degree of … with a major in … then that person is allowed to Place Dr. in front of its name - and that is were things in Thailand come to a screeching halt. Thais who do not even adhere to the law and regulation of their Thambon how can you expect them to adhere to any laws further afield, and do things the correct way.

So before the name is Dr. then behind the name is what kind of doctor, and here are a whole slew of designators – maybe they confuse the Thai Dr. so s/he doesn’t bother with them. There is: MD (Medical Doctor) - DDS (Doctor Dental Surgery) – VM (Veterinarian Medicine) – JD (Juristic Doctor – when graduated in Law) – Ph.D. (Philosophy Doctor) I won’t bother you with anymore, you get the idea that ONLY Dr. in front of the name does not mean anything, is illegal, because it causes confusion.

Well it's nice to know just how thoughtful, considerate and caring the Thai Police are.

And I thought they just pulled English tourists out of the sea with a broken leg and told them 'It's minor. Go run it off.'

Donate money. Voluntaryily then. Of course the Police are the experts on 'voluntary' donations. I get flagged down all the time and invited to contribute 200 baht to the Thai Policeman's balls. I'd like to deliver some else to a Thai Policeman's balls, but that's another thing entirely.

So there we have it. Entrust your money to the Thai Police and after a commision, a tax, a top up off the Police holiday fund, something for the Police Orphans [ the Thai Police do make sure there are a lot of Orphans ], they'll pass on the rest. Usually ranks at one baht in the 100 if there happens to be an ''x' in the month.

If there is then a flying pig has to land at Suvanapoom, deliver a speech in the Isan dialect on the subject of binomial theorum and dance the fandango with Kylie till way after midnight.

Personally, I prefer to give my money direst to the poor farmer's daughters. At least it gets there.

How about you?

For me straight and simple, Insurance to deal with the Camry, no numberpates involved.

The doctor to claim compensation from the police for there bundled shooting spree.

the other dead and injured to sue the police, or claim from a.n. other. OR the police to use the 2 million Camry money for the deceased families

Why the hell would I give anything to the BIB, I feel sorry for the cop that got wacked, but….come-on, does anyone think the cop’s family will see any of this dosh? Anyone believe in honor among thieves, I do think there are good cops in Thailand, anyone know who they are?...........No, nor me.

jb1

I think the Thai government's compensation fund is exclusively for politicians.

LOL .. is the compensation paid if they loose an "election'? LOL

Why the hell would I give anything to the BIB, I feel sorry for the cop that got wacked, but….come-on, does anyone think the cop's family will see any of this dosh? Anyone believe in honor among thieves, I do think there are good cops in Thailand, anyone know who they are?...........No, nor me.

Not me either. The police living in this village have the nicest/best house and a pick up truck, several motorbikes etc. I think the Boobs in Brown manage to extract large sums of money for very little effort. And they certainly have not heard a/b "protect and serve" (the public that is).

I'll tell you why I want to donate to the family of the slain cop. It is because he did what most of you insensitive fools have never in your life done. He put himself in harms way and paid the ultimate price. I believe in honoring heros and I think I'm a pretty good judge of who qualifies. I even thought of going to the Pattaya Police Station carrying a copy of this article with the photo and ask that they get the money to the family. Maybe I am niave, but I have seen how acts of kindness and support for good can change people. I see it happen daily. Acts of kindness and compassion have power.

The corruption here is no different than in the west. Cops live in their own world, but they have not lost their support for one anothers families. Taking money designated for the family would be serious bad karma as it should be.

I'll tell you why I want to donate to the family of the slain cop. It is because he did what most of you insensitive fools have never in your life done. He put himself in harms way and paid the ultimate price. I believe in honoring heros and I think I'm a pretty good judge of who qualifies. I even thought of going to the Pattaya Police Station carrying a copy of this article with the photo and ask that they get the money to the family. Maybe I am niave, but I have seen how acts of kindness and support for good can change people. I see it happen daily. Acts of kindness and compassion have power.

The corruption here is no different than in the west. Cops live in their own world, but they have not lost their support for one anothers families. Taking money designated for the family would be serious bad karma as it should be.

I ask myself the question......... Who is the fool?? you or me???

You have obviously never been stopped for some B/sh1t traffic offence and had to pay x baht fine for doing nothing wrong

You have obviously never paid the BIB any tea money for any business transactions that you may have to do in thailand

You have never paid the BIB any money to write a small statement for you, even if you lose your bank books........ you have to pay to get a statement!!!!!

You have never had to pay the BIB to go and resolve a problem you have, which should be within there own job description.

You have never been stopped for speeding when in fact you was within the speed limit and told to pay up because your "going too fast"

The police get far tooo much money in this country for doing very little...... When have you ever seen a police patrolling on foot?? When have you actually seen police arrest somebody??? when have you heard of somebody saying oh the police have caught the guy who stole my _____................. I have lived here a number of years and have never heard anybody say anything good about them....... be they thai or farang.

Where is the Cop corruption in the west............. I have never seen a cop putting money in his own pocket from me going too fast or having a night club open too late!!!!. About time you woke up and realised what the police in thailand are like

True, I have never been stopped for some BS traffic offence. I have been stopped for driving in the passing lane when no other traffic, 200 baht. Three parking tickets all deserved. For one I was offered to pay an extra 200 baht for a motorbike taxi to go to the Pattaya police station, I declined and paid it myself. I was also stopped at he motorway toll booth and fined for attempting to enter the highway with uncovered stuff in a pickup. I've been stopped 3 times at checks they looked at my Thai license and that was it. Each time the cops were professional enough. Just today my friend was asked by a farang for a ride on walking street and he didn't had a extra helmet, got 200 yards and there was the cop. I think it was 200 baht and the farang payed. There is nothing in my experence here that would overcome the basic respect I have for someone doing a difficult, dangerous job. I don't depend on them for anything. My security and that of my family is my responsability just like in the states.

I agree with MrsMills, the corruption works both ways and if I do something wrong it is compforting to know that a little tea money will take care of it. This forum is full of farangs getting away with something that they would never get away with in the west. It's their system I'm happy to adapt. I am awake, I do realize what it is like and I'm ok with it. You might want to consider adapting or go home.

I could write you a book on my experences with jack booted cops in the states. The mods warned against it. Feel free to google police corruption in the US and do a little objective analysis.

Your argument has absolutely nothing to do with making a donation for the family to provide some support for the mans kids. THIS Thai cop did his job. THIS cop put himself in harms way and paid the price. All your petty complaints will never change that fact. I went to the Pattaya Police station and gave them 100 baht wrapped in the photo of the family. You would have thought that I cured cancer. The desk cop held up the paper and every cop in the place gave me a thankful wai. Some high ranking guy even came out of the back room to wai me.

Bottom line is I did it because I believe that it was the right thing to do. I did it for my own soul and if it dosen't get to the family that's not my issue. I like living here. I'm grateful for what I have and what I've learned. Frankly I think it's dumb to live in a place that you hate so much as some of you apparently do.

Edited by Schooner